Apple tells newspapers: no free iPad edition for print subscribers

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102
    Check out Calibre. In addition to doing a great job of managing your eBooks across multiple devices it will automatically compile the online edition of many newspapers and magazines that can be downloaded to multiple types of readers and read offline. Its free and open source! http://www.calibre-ebook.com
  • Reply 102 of 102
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I was speaking specifically of the new arrangement (such as The Daily) which appears will allow in-app purchases. I believe Apple will be providing both the payment processing and the content distribution services for in-app purchases. They want to make sure that they are not being "used" for free content delivery by existing publishers of print editions. Other than for strategic reasons, I doubt Apple would care if the publisher provides all the purchase and delivery services.

And Apple is speaking specifically about existing arrangements already in use by number of newspapers (which are not in-app purchases) which will have to end by 1 April. In these existing arrangements Apple is not providing the payment processing nor the content delivery and but Apple specifically wants to end these.

Apple does not have to make sure that any in-app purchases will pay their 30%. When Apple is doing the payment processing, it is impossible not to pay these 30%, Apple simply forwards only 70%.