Best Buy 'Coming Soon' iPad SKUs could point to next-gen Wi-Fi iPad

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    That would be incredibly foolish.



    Most of the competitors' tablets are supposed to be equal to or greater in price than the iPad - and almost all of them have half the screen area. Why in the world would Apple cut their price when they're already offering the best value, by far?



    They may keep the original iPad around. As they do now with the 3GS. I think they will.



    ( that way margins are only reduced on the lower end model, reducing the margin hit across the line).
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


    First generation will drop it's price. C'mon this is Apple we're talking about. If anything we might see a price increase. Starting price will probably be $599 for 32GB, no more 16.



    First generation, if they don't force a sellout by stopping production way early, will indeed go down in price. To sell the remaining units. Perhaps they might keep one model like the 16 gb wifi (or 32gb wifi at the 16price) for the kiddies, schools etc. But the rest will go.



    As for a price increase, not likely. At least not as extreme as you suggest. Apple's history has been to increase specs and keep the prices the same as much as possible. That said if the 3G versions are indeed a dual system, that might force a slight increase, say from $20-30 to offset increased licensing costs
  • Reply 23 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    First generation, if they don't force a sellout by stopping production way early, will indeed go down in price. To sell the remaining units. Perhaps they might keep one model like the 16 gb wifi (or 32gb wifi at the 16price) for the kiddies, schools etc. But the rest will go.



    The standard Apple tactic has been to keep the old model at a lower price, and sell the new model at the old price. I expect that iPad 1 will continue to sell at a large discount ( possibly as you said the version(s) with the lower RAM). They will only drop it if the sales are not up to expectations. Lower prices always increases your market share. Lower across all lines makes no sense as you have already proven that you can the sell the original device at the higher price, however you can sweep up more people with a lowered price on the original model. This is what they do with the 3GS.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post


    They might keep on with the present 16GB as a low end, and have these prices for the new one. They did it with the iPod touch with the old 8GB and new 32 and 64GB models.



    1. $699.00-iPad2 with 64gb with SD slot.....may be



    2. $599.00-iPad2 with 64gb withut SD slot..Could be



    3. $599.00-iPad2 with 32gb with SD slot..you think?



    4. $499.00-only iPad of last year-no change
  • Reply 25 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Y.M.S.BUSHAN View Post


    1. $699.00-iPad2 with 64gb with SD slot.....may be



    2. $599.00-iPad2 with 64gb withut SD slot..Could be



    3. $599.00-iPad2 with 32gb with SD slot..you think?



    4. $499.00-only iPad of last year-no change



    No 4) will probably be $399. Some lower end version of the new iPad will be selling at $499.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I hope A5 is a dual-core mobile ARM chip with 'serious' (yet efficient) graphics power, and iPad 2 has 1GB of RAM. A lot of unanswered questions remain.








    Why so little RAM? With more, they could have real multitasking, especially with a modern processor, as you suggest.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


    First generation will drop it's price. C'mon this is Apple we're talking about. If anything we might see a price increase. Starting price will probably be $599 for 32GB, no more 16.



    I'm not sure. If the iPhone is any indication, Apple's strategy may well be different.



    With the iPhone, didn't they cut the price shortly after the early adopters bought them? And right now, aren't they selling a cut-rate, low-storage version of the obsolete 3GS?



    From recent indications, these strategies have worked well for Apple. I remain skeptical of any specific predictions WRT the iPad, however.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Y.M.S.BUSHAN View Post


    1. $699.00-iPad2 with 64gb with SD slot.....may be



    2. $599.00-iPad2 with 64gb withut SD slot..Could be



    3. $599.00-iPad2 with 32gb with SD slot..you think?



    4. $499.00-only iPad of last year-no change



    Try this:



    599 - 32 gig iPad2 with retina display

    599 - 64 gig iPad2 with standard display

    699 - 64 gig ipad2 with retina display

    499 - whatever models from last year apple needs to dump.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post


    Try this:



    599 - 32 gig iPad2 with retina display

    599 - 64 gig iPad2 with standard display







    That would require that customers make two decisions about technical topics which are well beyond their abilities, just to buy one product.



    I wouldn't count on Apple taking any chances with confusing their newest customers.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post


    Try this:



    599 - 32 gig iPad2 with retina display

    599 - 64 gig iPad2 with standard display

    699 - 64 gig ipad2 with retina display

    499 - whatever models from last year apple needs to dump.



    Every single one of you thinks that the newest models cheapest price point will be $100 more than the existing models lowest price point. That's a huge price increase and will be flagged as such by the press.



    The lowest priced iPad 2 will cost $499. The entry model ( a iPad 1 with low memory) will be less - I am guessing $399.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post


    I'm not sure. If the iPhone is any indication, Apple's strategy may well be different.



    With the iPhone, didn't they cut the price shortly after the early adopters bought them? And right now, aren't they selling a cut-rate, low-storage version of the obsolete 3GS?



    From recent indications, these strategies have worked well for Apple. I remain skeptical of any specific predictions WRT the iPad, however.



    Obsolete my ass. It was top of the range all of 8 months ago. I have one, and like other people on 2 year contracts, will be replacing it with a iPhone 5, not a 4. It works perfectly. The iPhone 4 doesnt seem much faster - although the screen is , of course, a great improvement.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post


    That would require that customers make two decisions about technical topics which are well beyond their abilities, just to buy one product.



    I wouldn't count on Apple taking any chances with confusing their newest customers.



    I agree with you, but they've done it with the iPhone 4, so they obviously don't care.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I agree with you, but they've done it with the iPhone 4, so they obviously don't care.



    They have an iPhone 4 with a retina display, and one without?
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    They have an iPhone 4 with a retina display, and one without?



    Required customers to make a decision about technical topics which are well beyond their abilities just to buy one product.



    I'd ask what you thought I meant, but we already know...
  • Reply 35 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Required customers to make a decision about technical topics which are well beyond their abilities just to buy one product.



    I'd ask what you thought I meant, but we already know...



    You originally suggested an iPad with a retina display and one without, both with different memory. Thats two technical decisions to make, which is the point that CEOStevie was making. Most people get the difference between 16GB and 32GB. If they were to do a retina and a non-retina display it would be 4 models - each at 32GB and 64GB ( assuming the memory increases in iPad2).
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    You originally suggested an iPad with a retina display and one without, both with different memory.



    No, I didn't. He did.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, I didn't. He did.



    OK then you think that they required iPhone 4 buyers to make "technical decisions beyond well beyond their abilities to buy one product."



    Thats nonsense. Most people get memory.



    To move on:



    What is interesting is that there are two price points in the Best Buy list at $599. A CDMA and a GSM 3G iPad ?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    OK then you think that they required iPhone 4 buyers to make "technical decisions beyond well beyond their abilities to buy one product."



    Thats nonsense. Most people get memory.







    CDMA vs. GSM.



    Come on, what in the world do you think I'm talking about?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,292member
    I honestly don't care how much the next iPad is. Price isn't what drove me the first time around. I'm more interested in availability.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One is a Verizon iPad.



    Two is iPad 2.



    I'm going Verizon here as there are only three SKUs. Adding the modem and RF circuitry would be fairly easy.



    Either that or iPad 2 is coming earlier than thought. If it was iPad 2 though there should be six SKUs. That is three WiFi and three cellular enabled.



    If the models are Verizon enabled it might mean iPad 2 is a ways away. Or it could mean that Apple intends to offer up the current iPad as the low cost lead in. The timing here is awfully strange though.
Sign In or Register to comment.