Parts supplier selling purported iPad 2 screen, iPad vibrating motor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    My Theory:

$499 = 16 GB WiFi iPad 1.0

$599 = 16 GB iPad 2.0 (WiFi + GSM +CDMA)

$699 = 32 GB iPad 2.0 (WiFi + GSM +CDMA)

$799 = 64 GB iPad 2.0 (WiFi + GSM +CDMA)
  • Reply 22 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t know how you have come that conclusion. Sure, buying in bulk is cheaper. Sure, prepaying ahead of time is cheaper. But we don?t even know if this site is legit or what the negotiated prices would be, all we know is the basic economics of the position Apple is in with their volume and cash stores.

Remember, this was my business, I know how pricing works. I can't vouch for the company, but it looks legit. It really doesn't matter that much though. The technology for this screen is here. The price seems right. Apple wouldn't be buying from a company like them, as you know. They will be buying from the manufacturer. We can figure the manufacturers price to them, the store, would be from 30 to 40% lower than the retail they're quoting for one.

So yes, we don't know for sure if this is legit, but it looks as though it could be.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winst View Post

I still think it is fake. If buy.com sells a same resolution monitor for medical industry for $4,000 (http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-display-...210521022.html) Can Apple really get a similar part for under $300?

how about that one is 20-23 inch screen.... a lot more surface area

also, why do 60 inch TV (all are same rez, 1080p to keep is simple) costs 5000 per say, and the 45 inch ones cost $1500, and the 30 inch one like $500.......... LoL
  • Reply 24 of 44
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Have there been any rumours as to when the iPad 2 might be announced?

Jan 27 2010 was when the first ipad was announced, but then there was a large lag between announcement and release.

Could they maybe announce early february and release right away?

With the CDMA iPhone hitting Verizon in February, I'd say the iPad event will arrive no earlier than mid March with availability 3 to 4 weeks later.

Looks like the iOS 5 announcement will be even later into April this year.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

With the CDMA iPhone hitting Verizon in February, I'd say the iPad event will arrive no earlier than mid March with availability 3 to 4 weeks later.

Apple could announce iOS 5 first, "and just one more thing... you know, what's going to harness the power of all these new features in iOS 5? I'd like to be the first to show you the next generation iPad."

Both in the same keynote. They can release iPad 2 and have iOS 5.0 come out in June/July when iPhone 5 comes out. It's not like they didn't pre-announce the feature set for the iOS update for iPad, release the iPad, then finally update iOS on iPad months later. I'm just really really hoping to keep iOS versions the same across all "currently supported" devices from now on.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Apple could announce iOS 5 first, "and just one more thing... you know, what's going to harness the power of all these new features in iOS 5? I'd like to be the first to show you the next generation iPad."

Both in the same keynote. They can release iPad 2 and have iOS 5.0 come out in June/July when iPhone 5 comes out. It's not like they didn't pre-announce the feature set for the iOS update for iPad, release the iPad, then finally update iOS on iPad months later. I'm just really really hoping to keep iOS versions the same across all "currently supported" devices from now on.

As much as I’d like the iOS timetable to be turned up and for iOS for iPad and iOS for iPhone/Touch to be considered separate OSes since their UIs dinstinct (I don’t think having the same kernel and the UI being built using the same development tools means they are same) I have to think that won’t be the case since iOS 4.3b1 has included several new features. IOW, if they were going to announce iOS 5.0 soon then I’d think they won’t add any new features to iOS 4.3 since it would be so short lived.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If the HD screen truly is real, then perhaps someone would care to make an app that makes the iPad an extended desktop monitor, via USB, without the terrible lag usually associated with network transmitted desktop feeds.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

If the HD screen truly is real, then perhaps someone would care to make an app that makes the iPad an extended desktop monitor, via USB, without the terrible lag usually associated with network transmitted desktop feeds.

If they make that a focused feature, not just the standard video out option, perhaps we?ll see Apple offer up a SuperDock option for the iPad that has mini-DisplayPort and USB so you can use it as a standard ?PC?.

This, of course, would require a Mac OS X-like UI to appear when in this mode but could go a long way to selling a lot more iPads and further weakening the non-Mac ?PC? growth.

This would be similar to the Motorola Atrix, except with decent coding. That said, I doubt this will happen.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Agreed, the $499 iPad will die, just like the $499 Mac Mini.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

My Theory:

• Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

I still think it is fake. If buy.com sells a same resolution monitor for medical industry for $4,000 (http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-display-...210521022.html) Can Apple really get a similar part for under $300?

Medical industry is like the Pentagon; even a screwdriver costs $500!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Apple have over the last few years focused too much on media consumption, rather than media creation. a) Glossy displays, that have upset many top designers and photographers. b) Loss of focus on their power user hardware, that is still twice the price of Windows equivalent. (17" Dell laptop with 1920x1200 display = £650, 17" MacBook Pro, £19XX). WTF? c) Lack of stylus on iPad makes precision operation, text selection and of course, artistry, a pain - and no amount of poor quality paintings from 'artists' who used the iPad will undo that fact.

If you have ever used a top end Symbian phone (going back to the awesome Sony Ericsson PXXX series), the stylus provided a superb tool for operating and being creative on the phone.

The second a well known brand, such as LG, ASUS or Samsung produces a sub $400 Android tablet with a finger and stylus friendly display, Apple's market share will fall. html5 means that any decent tablet can take on the tasks that iPad currently excels at.

I'm an iPad and MacBook Air user BTW, so not anti Apple, just expecting more for the creative rather than consuming mind.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

My Theory:

My Theory:

$399 = 16 GB iPad 1.0 (Wi-Fi only)

$499 = 16 GB iPad 2.0 (Wi-Fi only)

$599 = 32 GB iPad 2.0 (Wi-Fi only)

$699 = 64 GB iPad 2.0 (Wi-Fi only)

Reasons for my thinking:

1. Apple usually does not increase or lower the price of products; it gives more features for the same price.

2. With the competition at its tail, Apple would not increase the price of the entry level iPad.

3. Apple has traditionally sold the last year's base model iPhone for $100 less than the base model of that year; I expect the same for iPad.

4. Apple will still sell both Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi+3G models.

5. Apple caught a lot of flak for adding $130 for the cost of the 3G radio, whose component cost was about $32. A $100 add-on price would me more palatable.

6. A lower price for the 16GB iPad1 would help increase the presence of the iOS, especially in developing countries, where Android seems to be gaining ground due to lack of competition.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    vibrating motor should have been included in the first Ipad.

Same for latest Ipod Touch

Now it will be touted as an added "feature"
  • Reply 34 of 44
    This could be a whole new niche product for fangirls. Introducing, Apple's iVibe.

Jump is to a slightly NSFW video of what could be apple's new AI enabled bedroom product.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1885440

Go ahead and flame, It's funny!
  • Reply 35 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

You can pretty much assume anything sold as 'medical' in the USA is grossly overpriced!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Apple have over the last few years focused too much on media consumption, rather than media creation. a) Glossy displays, that have upset many top designers and photographers. b) Loss of focus on their power user hardware, that is still twice the price of Windows equivalent. (17" Dell laptop with 1920x1200 display = £650, 17" MacBook Pro, £19XX). WTF? c) Lack of stylus on iPad makes precision operation, text selection and of course, artistry, a pain - and no amount of poor quality paintings from 'artists' who used the iPad will undo that fact.

If you have ever used a top end Symbian phone (going back to the awesome Sony Ericsson PXXX series), the stylus provided a superb tool for operating and being creative on the phone.

The second a well known brand, such as LG, ASUS or Samsung produces a sub $400 Android tablet with a finger and stylus friendly display, Apple's market share will fall. html5 means that any decent tablet can take on the tasks that iPad currently excels at.

I'm an iPad and MacBook Air user BTW, so not anti Apple, just expecting more for the creative rather than consuming mind.

I love end of post disclaimers like this.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

That the CDMA iPhone will tax Apple staff for a few weeks is highly likely but then, frankly, who cares? I think already not many care. So there's more choice for US consumers re the iPhone. Do you think anyone living outside the US gives a darn? I mean, Apple didn't release a new product per se, just gave US customers another option.

Why do you think Apple let Verizon announce this product. Clearly it wasn't worth Apple's trouble to hold a media event for this product. There will be high demand in the early going and staff is bracing for that. But once that passes, and we're talking weeks here, not months, Apple will be looking for the next big thing to generate free publicity. Seems to me that would be the next iPad. As such, there is a high probability of the device being unveiled more likely some time in February. Could be mid March, could be even later but I doubt it.

One thing though. When Apple unveils the new iPad, it will be available for purchase pretty much immediately. The reason is obvious. When you introduce a new product line like the first iPhone or the first iPad, until that device starts being sold, no one can buy a version of the product. You don't have existing inventory to unload. And if a product requires FCC approval, that's a public process so you can't get that approval without it becoming public knowledge. Now with the iPad, it's a different matter. If Apple announced iPad 2 in MidMarch and made it available nearly a month later, that's a month without hardly any iPad sales. Instead Apple, this time, will unveil the new iPad when Jobs can declare, as he usually does, "Product X will be available for purchase TA-DAY."

If there are rumours to the effect that the next iPad will be announced in around April one of two possibilities exist. Either Apple has floated a rumour that the new model is months away to maintain robust first-gen iPad sales right to the end or the new iPad will be announced in around April.

The timing of the introduction of the new iPad will not be dramatically impacted by a change in iPhone 4 availability in one market, no matter how substantial. The Verizon iPhone is already old news, especially outside the US.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

They are not the same, For one the monitor you reference is a multisync monitor which supports many, many different resolutions up to and including 2048x1536. I am sure there are many other differences as well.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barryotoole View Post

Medical industry is like the Pentagon; even a screwdriver costs $500!

$1.00 for the screwdriver and $499.00 for the "black hole account" .... where everything that is kept hidden from "inquiring minds" is held. You just gotta love the "integrity of government". ...
  • Reply 40 of 44
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

For medical equipment multiply price by 10 or 20 times. My brother inlaw repairs electric wheelchairs. He has to use a $20 medical rated switch when a $0.50 part would work. This is just to keep the lawyers happily employed.