Apple's App Store on pace to surpass total iTunes music sales by March

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The average iOS device has seen more than 60 applications from the App Store downloaded on to it, putting Apple's digital download destination for the iPhone and iPad on pace to eclipse the iTunes Music Store this March.



Horace Dediu of Asymco this week published a detailed look at the growth metrics of Apple's App Store, and compared them with the iTunes Music Store. The analysis came after Apple began its countdown to 10 billion App Store downloads, a milestone that will likely be achieved this month.



The App Store will reach the 10 billion mark, not including software updates, in less than half the time it took the iTunes Music Store to reach that total. Apple's music store reached the 10 billion total in February 2010, or 67 months after it launched.



But the App Store will reach 10 billion in just 31 months since it launched in July 2008. The popularity of the App Store has grown exponentially, as just a year ago Apple revealed that App Store downloads had topped 3 billion.



Now, Deidu found, application downloads for iOS devices are higher than 30 million per day, and growing at an increasing rate. In addition, per-device downloads are also at an all-time high, with the average iOS device having downloaded more than 60 applications.







In his analysis, he drew the conclusion that the more applications users download for their iOS device, the higher the cost of switching to another platform will become. He also said that downloads for mobile applications are increasing at such a rate that they are poised overtake the PC software market.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    What concise terminology are we to use to distinguish between the iOS App Store and the OSX App Store, in uses such as this headline?



    Even the first sentence uses the simple "App Store", though the context makes it clear which one we're talking about.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Lots of downloads, yes, but I am finding that actual usage is low. Unlike my music, I find that I use my App downloads less and less.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    In his analysis, he drew the conclusion that the more applications users download for their iOS device, the higher the cost of switching to another platform will become.



    There was another survey that concluded people actually used only a few 3rd party applications often.



    This is also my own experience. I've downloaded hundreds (not an exaggeration!) of apps, yet the number I would need to re-purchase on moving to another platform I could count on one hand.



    Most applications (especially a lot of the cheaper and free games) are temporary throw-away purchases.









    EDIT:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Lots of downloads, yes, but I am finding that actual usage is low. Unlike my music, I find that I use my App downloads less and less.



    I was too slow





    EDIT2:

    I'd love to hear which applications people would repurchase if they switched platforms. Does anyone get close to 60? If I were to switch platforms today...



    iPhone
    • Evernote

    • FeeddlerRSS

    • myLite

    • Skype

    • Tilt to Live (and older game but I still love it)

    iPad
    • Evernote

    • FeeddlerRSS

    • Super Golf (couldn't live without ATM!)

    • Kindle

    • ...Atomic Web if the browser wasn't great

  • Reply 4 of 20
    Not really comparing like with like here ? unlike iTunes, a lot of those 1 billion downloads were free.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post


    Not really comparing like with like here – unlike iTunes, a lot of those 1 billion downloads were free.



    IMO Even if half were free the number is still impressive. BTW The number is 10 billion not 1 billion.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post




    EDIT2:

    I'd love to hear which applications people would repurchase if they switched platforms. Does anyone get close to 60? If I were to switch platforms today...




    I'll only include paid apps:
    • Logmein Ignition

    • Air Video

  • Reply 7 of 20
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Is an iTunes gift card the same as an App Store gift card? iTunes card can be used on the App store right?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Very interesting how apple was able to turn the tide on piracy with the APP store. A good chunk of music most people own is pirated, or if they are old enough shared through importing a single shared CD. Apps (paid) however, are bought by the vast majority of users, and while they can be shared on up to 5 machines I believe, for the most part are owned individually.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    yes, its expected progress. Most country on the world can buy in App Store. But only a few country can buy music on iTunes.

    For examle: In Czech republic App Store was lunched immediately after iPhone was released in our Country. iTunes? Duo to different law we still cant buy any music. So. AppStore 100% share. iTunes 0.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Lots of downloads, yes, but I am finding that actual usage is low. Unlike my music, I find that I use my App downloads less and less.



    While that may be true ... it may still be irrelevant ... for example, I have over 13,000 items in my iTunes folder. Do I listen/watch them all frequently ... hell no, but I wouldn't want to give any of them up.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Steve and Apple certainly steered the company into a position where it can basically print money now with the growth curve on the "i" devices, computers and apps. Apple will continue to ascend despite today's nuclear bomb drop about Steve. They still have a good five years ahead of them if Steve is not steering the ship... Unfortunately, in the wake of the departure of an extremely influential leader (think Walt Disney), the power struggles and self-interested decisions will overtake the interests of the company... Crap. Godspeed, Steve.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    Is an iTunes gift card the same as an App Store gift card? iTunes card can be used on the App store right?



    All gift cards default to the iTunes account. There's only one account. There's only one store.



    There are Apple Store gift cards that can be used for Apple products, but you can't buy those anywhere but Apple Stores.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Can you buy shareware from this new App store? The reason I ask is, I sent an idea to Apple over a year ago that suggested they ought to have an app store for shareware because there's software I want but I don't want to give my credit card info to some small developer.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    Can you buy shareware from this new App store? The reason I ask is, I sent an idea to Apple over a year ago that suggested they ought to have an app store for shareware because there's software I want but I don't want to give my credit card info to some small developer.



    No shareware, no trialware. Either completely free or paid for apps.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post


    Not really comparing like with like here ? unlike iTunes, a lot of those 1 billion downloads were free.



    This was a weird comparison because most app store downloads are free.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    All gift cards default to the iTunes account. There's only one account. There's only one store.



    There are Apple Store gift cards that can be used for Apple products, but you can't buy those anywhere but Apple Stores.



    Well all 'monitory value' cards are the same across all media types... Apple does (or has) offer 'XX Songs' type cards and I think they are accounted for differently...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    This was a weird comparison because most app store downloads are free.



    Asymco has a follow up post showing that, while of course the App Store total payout numbers pale in comparison to iTunes Store total payout numbers (having been open much less longer), the rate of those payout numbers is ramping up faster on the App Store than the iTunes Store across similar points in their history..
  • Reply 18 of 20
    music is available from many sources.



    apps are available from basically 2 places (apple and cydia) - and you didn't have any apps before the appstore (I've been buying music - CDs - for 25 years)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    No shareware, no trialware. Either completely free or paid for apps.



    Thanks for the reply.



    IMO, that seems kind of redundant as I could already buy apps (for example, Microsoft's office) from Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    Thanks for the reply.



    IMO, that seems kind of redundant as I could already buy apps (for example, Microsoft's office) from Apple.



    Yeah, it?s redundant in the sense that you can still get apps from other sites as discs from mail order stores and B&M stores.



    It?s unique in the the way the services are paid for though Apple where many users may 1) want an app buy are unsure about giving their CC to some unknown site, or 2) never use Google to do searches for programs for their Mac. Remember that most people aren?t exactly tech savvy with any computer and that about 50% of new Mac purchases each quarter are new to Mac OS.



    It?s also unique in the way apps are installed and updated. It?s pretty much like iOS app updates in iTunes. The whole point is to mimic the familiar and user-friendly environment that service offers, but for the desktop.



    Of course, for you and me the this isn?t a big deal. I?ve DLed two free apps. That?s it.



    PS: MS Office isn?t on the Mac App Store and probably won?t ever be for various reasons from bother Apple and MS? end of things.
Sign In or Register to comment.