Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

1235713

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    I find myself worried and saddened at this news. Not sure if we'll see Steve back at Apple ever again



    Anyway, really hope I'm wrong.



    We know zero about the situation. Other than the fact that he says he is still CEO. Last time Cook was put into acting CEO status. So this difference suggests that this time not deemed that seriously at this point.



    For all we know he caught the flu. Which for someone who has has an organ transplant could mean a longer recovery. Especially if you try to work through it. So not perhaps a good move. Steve decides instead to take some extended sick days. But since he is an exec just calling out for a few days or whatever doesn't fly with the SEC rules. He is forced by those rules to publicly state to the board the deal and who is covering for him etc. Which he has done.



    And that could be all that is going on



    Just like perhaps he wasn't in New York because he was never going to be in New York and hat was 100% the media jumping on the 'Gizmodo wasn't invited so it has to be Apple related' and assumed that meant Steve would be present.
  • Reply 82 of 253
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    So all those former Apple employees were lying.



    Guess the original Macintosh team and later hardware engineers don't know about their own working environment.





    Are we talking about the 80's? Cant say I know much about that. However have you heard anything since? Clearly not or you would mention it. I was talking about the second coming.



    Its possible that Steve Jobs shouts at his immediate underlings, I dont know. They are all multi-millionaires and tough men. However everybody I know who worked at Apple, or is still there loves it. Demanding is not the same as scary.
  • Reply 83 of 253
    I'm personally hoping that he's not really sick. That he's just trying to get us and the Apple board used to the idea that he won't be around forever. Perhaps his contract forbids the occasional sabbatical, so he has to be "sick" in order to spend some time away. Let him go off and build his new house. I'd just like to see him bounce back in 6 months stating: "I'm back, I'm bad, and I'm ready to kick butt".
  • Reply 84 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Pretty much agreed with you until the last paragraph. The reasons you don't hear about the health of those other CEOs is because they don't have cancer and haven't needed organ transplants. If any health issues threatened to take them away from the company, then you might very well hear about them. The question of whether the health of a CEO is material information to investors is a matter of discussion, not ridiculous on the face of it, not by a long shot. During Steve's last leave of absence, people familiar with corporate governance rules and SEC regulations came down on the side of more complete disclosure than the extremely sketchy information which Apple deemed appropriate. I think they're going to have similar problems with this announcement, which is awfully vague on the details.



    So should the CEO of every company be forced to publish their health status? Only the CEOs? Why not every officer of every publically owned company? Or other key employees? When will it stop? When does their life stop being your business? You think that if you own a share of some company's stock, that you should now be entitled to know their intimate medical health status? No, the SEC be damned.
  • Reply 85 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    We know zero about the situation. Other than the fact that he says he is still CEO. Last time Cook was put into acting CEO status. So this difference suggests that this time not deemed that seriously at this point.



    For all we know he caught the flu. Which for someone who has has an organ transplant could mean a longer recovery. Especially if you try to work through it. So not perhaps a good move. Steve decides instead to take some extended sick days. But since he is an exec just calling out for a few days or whatever doesn't fly with the SEC rules. He is forced by those rules to publicly state to the board the deal and who is covering for him etc. Which he has done.



    And that could be all that is going on



    Just like perhaps he wasn't in New York because he was never going to be in New York and hat was 100% the media jumping on the 'Gizmodo wasn't invited so it has to be Apple related' and assumed that meant Steve would be present.



    Or, he could be breathing his last. The problem is, investors have no clue. The history of these disclosures is that Steve's condition has always been far worse than they've let on, so that's what investors will have to assume. They will behave accordingly.
  • Reply 86 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    We know zero about the situation. Other than the fact that he says he is still CEO. Last time Cook was put into acting CEO status. So this difference suggests that this time not deemed that seriously at this point.



    For all we know he caught the flu. Which for someone who has has an organ transplant could mean a longer recovery. Especially if you try to work through it. So not perhaps a good move. Steve decides instead to take some extended sick days. But since he is an exec just calling out for a few days or whatever doesn't fly with the SEC rules. He is forced by those rules to publicly state to the board the deal and who is covering for him etc. Which he has done.



    And that could be all that is going on



    Just like perhaps he wasn't in New York because he was never going to be in New York and hat was 100% the media jumping on the 'Gizmodo wasn't invited so it has to be Apple related' and assumed that meant Steve would be present.





    Info on secondary infections for liver transplants.



    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/liver.../page10_em.htm



    Have to admire the strength of anyone who goes through cancer, then liver transplant, and be an innovative CEO.
  • Reply 87 of 253
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Who gives a shit...



    Probably his unfortunate daughter.
  • Reply 88 of 253
    Speedy recovery and enjoy the family time.
  • Reply 89 of 253
    Your vision will be missed. Thank you for funding my retirement. I bought a bunch of AAPL soon after you came back. It's amazing how much it has grown with you in charge.



    Here?s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They?re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can?t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that?s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
  • Reply 90 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    Gurrl quit with the PC crap. There is nothing offensive about using the words Jesus Christ!



    Maybe not to you. But to some it very much is.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post


    God Damn it? Oh my God? Holy crap? Let's face it, it's hard to curse without blaspheming. Thats kind of the point. I don't want to insult your beliefs, but cut the guy some slack.



    Well you did just insult someone's beliefs. And you are wrong. It is very easy to cuss without using those words. Just like you can call something stupid with saying gay, retarded etc



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    So should the CEO of every company be forced to publish their health status?



    They already are. As was revealed during the original DyingGate, SEC rules force a disclosure in all situations where one can't perform his/her job. This came up because ome tried to have Jobs and Apple censured for not speaking up sooner. But because he could still do his job, and very well, that was rejected.



    I agree that they shouldn't be forced to post every sneeze, cough, bowel movement, failure to get an erectionm or whatever. But certainly any issue that requires someone to take over your job for more than a couple of days deserves at least a notice that you are gone and who is in charge. Which Jobs did.
  • Reply 91 of 253
    I wish him a speedy recovery.

    Naturally, there will be some trolling on this topic. Let's not feed that monster.
  • Reply 92 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    So should the CEO of every company be forced to publish their health status? Only the CEOs? Why not every officer of every publically owned company? Or other key employees? When will it stop? When does their life stop being your business? You think that if you own a share of some company's stock, that you should now be entitled to know their intimate medical health status? No, the SEC be damned.



    You are getting carried away. Some of your life becomes other people's business when you're responsible for running a public corporation. If that sort of thing seems intrusive, then you might want to make another career choice. Apple's disclosures have been rightly criticized as being vague and possibly misleading. This one is coming in for similar criticism, for good reason.



    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...312543086.html
  • Reply 93 of 253
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Wishing you, Steve, a Speedy Get Well and Many Years of Happiness to You and Your Family.
  • Reply 94 of 253
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    You are getting carried away. Some of your life becomes other people's business when you're responsible for running a public corporation. If that sort of thing seems intrusive, then you might want to make another career choice. Apple's disclosures have been rightly criticized as being vague and possibly misleading. This one is coming in for similar criticism, for good reason.



    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...312543086.html



    Sorry but that's ridiculous. Someone's private life is not anyone's concern. One should always have a plan B in place. That's just good planning. The unexpected can always happen.
  • Reply 95 of 253
    And please know that one day soon "And no resident will say: ?I am sick.? The people that are dwelling in [the land] will be those pardoned for their error." Isaiah 33:24
  • Reply 95 of 253
    Well, given the stress that almost everyone I know who has a job seems to be under these days, a good break from work would probably benefit the health of millions.



    I wish Steve and his family the very best of health along with plenty of calm and healing of the body and soul and I hope he returns as soon as he feels ready to do so.
  • Reply 97 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    Sorry but that's ridiculous. Someone's private life is not anyone's concern. One should always have a plan B in place. That's just good planning. The unexpected can always happen.



    Sorry, but that's wrong. Not knowing or understanding something does not make the thing ridiculous. Apple has handled this issue poorly in the past and is continuing to handle it poorly, to the extent that corporate governance experts raise serious questions. You should read that WSJ article I linked -- might help you understand the issue. I'm sure we'll be seeing many more just like it in the days to come.
  • Reply 98 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    I find myself worried and saddened at this news. Not sure if we'll see Steve back at Apple ever again



    Anyway, really hope I'm wrong.



    I share this concern. Hoping for the best but God only knows.
  • Reply 99 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    Probably his unfortunate daughter.



    Like you'd actually know.



    All the assholes come out to kick the man when he's down.



    How classy.
  • Reply 100 of 253
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Are we talking about the 80's? Cant say I know much about that. However have you heard anything since? Clearly not or you would mention it. I was talking about the second coming.



    Its possible that Steve Jobs shouts at his immediate underlings, I dont know. They are all multi-millionaires and tough men. However everybody I know who worked at Apple, or is still there loves it. Demanding is not the same as scary.



    Take off the rose tinted glasses for a sec.



    Quote:

    That same year, a baby girl named Lisa was born to Chris-Ann Brennan, Jobs? on-again-off-again girlfriend since high school. Jobs not only insisted the computer?s name was an acronym for ?Local Integrated Software Architecture,? he also denied any personal relation to the computer?s alleged namesake.



    The self-made entrepreneur who was just named Smartest CEO by Fortune magazine and has a ranking of 136 on Forbes' World's Billionaires list has been described as the king of the iGeeks, a visionary, a micromanager, a showman, and an arrogant blowhard. But to baby Lisa, Steve Jobs was and is, for better or worse, dad.



    However, it took two years before Jobs would acknowledge that Lisa was his child, going so far as to swear in a court document that he was "sterile and infertile, and as a result thereof, did not have the physical capacity to procreate a child." While Jobs reaped the rewards of owning a burgeoning technology company, his baby and her artist mother subsisted on welfare.



    Now 32, Lisa is a journalist and magazine writer with credits including The Southwest Review, The Massachusetts Review, Spiked, and O, The Oprah Magazine. She also writes essays for her personal blog. In an article for the February 2008 issue of Vogue called "Tuscan Holiday," she touched on her ?illegitimate? childhood growing up with her mother:





    In California, my mother had raised me mostly alone. We didn?t have many things, but she is warm and we were happy. We moved a lot. We rented. My father was rich and renowned and later, as I got to know him, went on vacations with him, and then lived with him for a few years, I saw another, more glamorous world. The two sides didn?t mix, and I missed one when I had the other.



Sign In or Register to comment.