NPD data shows Apple's US Mac sales up 18% year over year

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New domestic sales data from the NPD Group shows that Apple's U.S. Mac sales were up 18 percent year-over-year during the holidays, suggesting that the company remains on track to report its best quarterly Mac sales ever.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray on Monday revealed the new figures from NPD, which showed domestic Mac sales up 18 percent during Apple's holiday quarter. International Mac sales are growing faster than domestic, which means Apple is in line to meet Wall Street expectations of 24 percent year-over-year sales growth.

Munster noted that NPD data from the September 2010 quarter indicated Mac sales were up 22 percent year over year, while Apple reported actual Mac unit growth of 27 percent. That could foreshadow another out-performance from Apple in the holiday quarter.

The analyst noted that Apple launched its new MacBook Air models during the quarter, and the thin and light notebooks are expected to be hot sellers over the holidays.

But potentially offsetting that is the fact that Apple redesigned the iMac in late 2009, a significant product upgrade that could negate any significant growth from the launch of the new MacBook Air models. Munster believes Apple will sell 1.2 million iMacs in the December quarter, without a major redesign, compared to about 500,000 of the new, thinner MacBook Air.

As it did in December, the latest NPD data shows that Apple remains on pace to sell as many as 4.3 million Macs in the December quarter. If that proves accurate, it would be Apple's best quarter ever for Mac sales. The previous record came in its last financial quarter, when the company sold a record 3.89 million Macs.

The latest NPD data also shows that Apple is on pace to sell between 18.5 million and 19.5 million iPods in the December quarter. Tracking from the company has shown U.S. iPod sales down about 3 percent for the quarter.

Investors on Wall Street expect Apple to report iPod sales about 9 percent lower than in 2009. International iPod sales, which are not a part of the NPD data, are a larger mix than international Mac sales, which results in a greater margin of error when viewing the NPD data.

Apple will report its quarterly earnings and sales figures on Tuesday at 5 p.m. Eastern, 2 p.m. Pacific. AppleInsider will have full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why speculate so close to the actual facts being released? Anyway I hope it's true.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    We're surely in for some astounding numbers this quarter, what with iPad blowing up and the incredible holiday sales.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We're surely in for some astounding numbers this quarter, what with iPad blowing up and the incredible holiday sales.

I think it?ll be less than a year before the IPad is more profitable than the Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it?ll be less than a year before the IPad is more profitable than the Mac.

I agree. Due to the current developments, I'm interesting in how the analysts are going to try to dissect every syllable from Cook so they can spin 20 different outcome of SJ's situation. Who cares (to them) that Apple will have yet another stellar quarter, with huge amounts of cash on hand. Will be interesting.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree. Due to the current developments, I'm interesting in how the analysts are going to try to dissect every syllable from Cook so they can spin 20 different outcome of SJ's situation. Who cares (to them) that Apple will have yet another stellar quarter, with huge amounts of cash on hand. Will be interesting.

How could you be so interested when you already know the outcome? No question, the Jobs situation is going to overshadow whatever comes out of the conference call, but that's not the fault of the analysts. I'm surprised any messengers are left alive anymore. They're all shot on sight, if not before.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why speculate so close to the actual facts being released? Anyway I hope it's true.

This is a silly question. There is a full day of trading before quarterly results are announced--there is tons of money at stake if one can get good advanced info...

Note: I am not endorsing this particular report, just pointing out that those who put stake in what they say would be very interested...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

First it will be “Apple can’t survive without Jobs. We saw what happened last time Jobs left.”

Then it will be “Sure Apple had more record breaking sales and profit, but they are running off Jobs’ fumes. That can’t last forever.”

After I think I think the vitriole of being wrong for so long will take over and it might become “Apple is only doing well because people feel sorry for them” or “Apple is doing well because the Sheeple are too stupid to know better."
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Note from the U.K. I tried to buy my wife a new iPod Touch in ASDA (Wall Mart) -(not directly from the Apple Store because ASDA had a great iTunes voucher offer - they were sold out in that and every other local branch, then I tried TESCO - another supermarket with a discount offer, same situation. So just transposing that demand nationally and internationally it's fair to assume that the Christmas season has been outstanding. Looks good for Apple shareholders!.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This is a silly question. There is a full day of trading before quarterly results are announced--there is tons of money at stake if one can get good advanced info...

Note: I am not endorsing this particular report, just pointing out that those who put stake in what they say would be very interested...

You are right about that. When money is involved, information makes all the difference.

Incidentally, did Mark Zuckerberg ever comment on his dinner at Steve's house?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

How could you be so interested when you already know the outcome? No question, the Jobs situation is going to overshadow whatever comes out of the conference call, but that's not the fault of the analysts. I'm surprised any messengers are left alive anymore. They're all shot on sight, if not before.

Wow, a kind word for analysts. Wow.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Are you disgusted, or simply shocked?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Quote:

Are you disgusted, or simply shocked?

Not shocked really, just mildly amused.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Is that supposed to be even worse?

I guess I've never a fan of the idea of hanging them before the trial, just to be on the safe side.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Quote:

Is that supposed to be even worse?

I guess I've never a fan of the idea of hanging them before the trial, just to be on the safe side.

My initial comment had no real intent other than as an inarticulate ditto. Your posts are always worth reading.

Had this been Facebook I could have hit the "like" button. God, I hate that.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is more likely they sold closer to 5 million Macs. The iMac is still a great design. I bought one so I know. This year they'll need to redesign it a bit. Maybe make it look like an iPhone with a glass back on it.

One thing I don't understand about Apple dropping the Xserve is what does Apple use in its own server farms - HP?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

My initial comment had no real intent other than as an inarticulate ditto. Your posts are always worth reading.

Had this been Facebook I could have hit the "like" button. God, I hate that.

Almost as much as emoticons?