Why high resolution screens matter for Apple's iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 81 of 198
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Let's put it this way I'm very hopeful that all the rumors come true. If so iPad 2 would be one impressive machine. More so it might remain useful to the user for much longer than iPad 1. I suspect that many titles will become iPad 2 very quickly. In large part that will be due to the expected extra RAM, with CPU performance a quick second.

I believe that Apple is determined to upend the competition in this round. I think they are willing to take a hit on margins to do so. As I guessed a while back, Apple's margins on some of their other products are improving giving them more latitude to trade margin for marketshare on the iPad.
  • Reply 82 of 198
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally, I don't care what you can/cannot 'take'.

Have A Nice Day.

Hmmmm, what's that line below in your signature about "childish" - you are the true personification...
  • Reply 83 of 198
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Because there's so much more that the iPad's additional screen real-estate could used for... Oh Well, there's always Honeycomb, which is designed from the ground up for tablet/slate use.

ROFLOL - now see there, your true troll colors are showing...
  • Reply 84 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So, if we assume: dual-core (or more) CPU, Dual-core (or more) GPU, 2048x1536 display, 1GB RAM (or more)...

We have a pretty powerful little device.

What if Apple were to port the ProRes codecs to the iPod -- and maybe some iPad versions of Pro apps or ProSumer apps;

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

what would that mean to video production?

Drool!

Slightly off topic: They still haven’t iMovie for iOS a universal app. Of course, there is no camera on the iPad to take video. Can you even sync videos from iPhoto onto the device and then edit it?
  • Reply 85 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I believe that Apple is determined to upend the competition in this round. I think they are willing to take a hit on margins to do so. As I guessed a while back, Apple's margins on some of their other products are improving giving them more latitude to trade margin for marketshare on the iPad.

We should get an idea of margin projections at today's earnings call!
  • Reply 86 of 198
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We should get an idea of margin projections at today's earnings call!

Yes. And they will still be low-balled. I'm not even convinced that Apple is deliberately guiding margins lower than should be - I'm beginning to think that they just are mis-factoring the economies of scale spread out across a number of different products.
  • Reply 87 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Slightly off topic: They still haven?t iMovie for iOS a universal app. Of course, there is no camera on the iPad to take video. Can you even sync videos from iPhoto onto the device and then edit it?

You can get videos on an iPad via sync or the CCK -- It is easy to get get videos and pictures from the iPhone.

I think there a few iPad apps that do some basic video editing -- but nothing like iMovie on the iPhone or Mac.
  • Reply 88 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Daniel, only you can make 3 pages of endless dribble from

"It will look better."

But then he wouldn't be able to go on about how much better the Mac was in 1984.
  • Reply 89 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels, which enabled them to use cheaper TV-like displays but gave their desktop a stretch appearances and distorted the relationship between documents on screen and in print...

and Atari ST

"Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels"

NOT TRUE.

Atari ST, beside TV output, have Atari SM 124 (12" black and white monitor with 640x400 resolution) which was even sharpen than Mac monitor.

btw I own them both even todat! take a look: http://milan.kovac.cc/sr/oldschool.php
  • Reply 90 of 198
    It's sickening seeing that 3.0 Honeycomb video. The look of it just drips of Apple Genius. I can not believe how much they continue to copy apple's iOS. The email app looked almost the same, the video chatting, etc.

Wish apple would just crush them out of existence already.
  • Reply 91 of 198
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You know, I think a serious case can be made for changing your name from DaHarder .... to DaHardly .... as in hardly ever adds anything intelligent to any discussion. ........

For DaHarder the IMO expands to (In Moron's Opinion) but Morons don't have opinions.
  • Reply 92 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I appreciate your explanation but if there were true resolution independence then there would only be a need to supply one set of assets for a project. The ui could take the higher resolution image and scale it for the lower resolution display. Clearly that is not the case here

This works in theory, but in reality it's better to have different versions of the file. If you look in an ICNS file on Mac OS X, for example, it could have five or six different images, from 16x16 pixels to 512x512. Because there's so much detail in the large versions, if you try scaling the 512x512 image to 16x16 then it turns into an absolute mess. The smaller versions may have

This is why in iOS and Mac OS icons, there are multiple versions of the image - it allows you to have different levels of detail that are optimum to the screen, instead of just having one. You can see this, for example, in the Phone, iPod and Messages icons on the iPhone for example - the iPhone 4 version has noticeably more texture than the older version.
  • Reply 93 of 198
    Quote:

... and that screen -shot is of an iOS app (the Mail App to be specific), something that is indeed a different experience on the iPad... which happens to be exactly what I posted.

Now go ahead and try to make up some nonsense of how drastically different the UI/etc is.

Hint: it Isn't.

Are you a moron, or just twisted ? Borrow a friends, hang on, you don't have any, so best to go to the Apple shop. Open Mail on iPhone and iPad, do you see any difference ?

Why do you blatantly lie, do you do it on purpose or are you really that stupid ?
  • Reply 94 of 198
    daharder why are you so obnoxious. Did your mummy not breast-feed you ?

Why is it allowed on AI, come on moderators kick it off please.

It appears that it's Mistress has had it in tight bondage and shows AI posts to torment it.

Just picture the it's eyeballs inches from the screen, as it's tormentor reads out aloud all that is positive about Apple, what torture it must be.

When it's hour is up and hands over the $500, it is happy to quickly get home and turn on any of the nine computers/mobile devices (3 each for each of it's and family members). Now it is free to rubbish away. What a pathetic useful waste of space and oxygen it is.
  • Reply 95 of 198
    Doesn't anyone remember that a few years back, Steve Jobs announced that Apple would soon have resolution-independent displays for it's desktop computers. I think this was before the iPhone.

The idea was that independent resolution would allow type to be drawn sharper by allowing more pixels without shrinking the typeface at the same time.

The announcement was made, and it was never mentioned again.
  • Reply 96 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And then we have sprockkets, another boorish toll trying to suck the air out of the room. Keep on sucking sprock...

I understand your annoyance, but don't respond in like manner please.
  • Reply 97 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

It's sickening seeing that 3.0 Honeycomb video. The look of it just drips of Apple Genius. I can not believe how much they continue to copy apple's iOS. The email app looked almost the same, the video chatting, etc.

It's like the saying that goes something like this: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

This only proves that the iOS team has done a tremendous job to achieve the best touchscreen UI, or one might say the way Steve Jobs wanted it to be.

Now if only they can think of a better way to improve the notification in iOS, this is one of the things I missed most from Android smartphone..
  • Reply 98 of 198
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I use both my iPad and my iPhone4 on a daily basis, and again... the APPS are what are optimized, the UI is essentially the same in both look/function, even down to the (rather wasteful) icon spacing utilized on the iPad.

DaHarder is a perfect example of the type of poster that's utterly pointless to argue with. He has absolutely zero interest in honest discussion and will change his claims as necessary (while arguing that he hasn't) to avoid admitting that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Best just to point out that everything he says is bullshit and move on.

If you feel it's necessary to respond to individual posts, just give them a rating on the bullshit meter. For example, the post above rates a 9 (out of 10) on the bullshit meter. A 9 because there are apps and they do have icons that appear in Springboard, which, apparently, according to DaHarder, is the only "UI" on the iPad and iPhone.
  • Reply 99 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kovacm View Post

and Atari ST

"Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels"

NOT TRUE.

Atari ST, beside TV output, have Atari SM 124 (12" black and white monitor with 640x400 resolution) which was even sharpen than Mac monitor.

btw I own them both even todat! take a look: http://milan.kovac.cc/sr/oldschool.php

You must be new here; Daniel rarely does any fact checking.
  • Reply 100 of 198
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You must be new here; Daniel rarely does any fact checking.

For those who are new here sprockkets rarely feels the need to restrict himself to facts. Actually, almost never.