Apple profits surge 77% on record sales of 4.1M Macs, 16.2M iPhones, 7.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Dammit, I can't believe I panic-sold 125 shares at 327 (god only knows how I got hosed so badly -- the order went through in a hole this AM).

oh well, paid 16/share, so I should cry too loudly.

Placing market orders for a volatile stock on a day like today is a great way to get hosed.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    With the joint efforts by LG and Apple to see an additional 10 million panels to be made for the iOS platform, it's not unreasonable to see that go up even further.

We'll be here next time in 2012 talking about 20-25 million iPads world-wide being sold, for the quarter.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Apple has 59.7b in cash, compared to 51b last quarter.

Wow!!!
  • Reply 24 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Apple has 59.7b in cash, compared to 51b last quarter.

Wow!!!

Probably saving up to buy somebody really big.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    All those billions and they can't find a way to put a password protect on Keynote files after 8 years.

How embarrassing and grossly inept. \
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

With the $2 billion higher profits than people expected alone Apple could already easily cover a full year of significantly lower profit margins of selling the iPad 2 with a 3 times more expensive ultra high-res screen, without even having to increase the retail price compared to the current model. Of course things aren't as simple as that, but with the money like running water, if I were in charge, I'd be inclined to just say 'what the heck, just do it and let the competition bite the dust'

I'm thinking the same thing but with fatter memory and a $100/SKU price drop. No one (repeat: NO ONE) will be able to match either your or my suggestion be able to be competitive. The race to the bottom will be over. There will be Apple in the stratosphere and every other tablet seller sitting lower than whale pucky.

But some out of work attorney will be happy to bring a class-action price-fixing monopoly-type suit against Apple, which will get tied up in courts for ages.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

All those billions and they can't find a way to put a password protect on Keynote files after 8 years.

What USE CASES are you referencing that you need to encrypt a Presentation you intend to be presented to your clients?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Wow. Talk about a nit-pick that looks like a grain of sand on a beach...

There are utilities out there that will encrypt and password protect individual files A quick search on MacUpdate turned up this free app and many others: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32894/cryptor
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Had my wife given me a iPad for Christmas Apple's sale would have been $499 higher!

How many like me didn't let Santa know? Around $99,000,000 worth of sales?

She did raise my allowance by $9.60 a week for 2011 so I'll buy my own next Christmas.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Agreed, hard to believe Steve can hold his head up.

Imagine how embarrassed he must be.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Wow. Talk about a nit-pick that looks like a grain of sand on a beach...

There are utilities out there that will encrypt and password protect individual files A quick search on MacUpdate turned up this free app and many others: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32894/cryptor

He wants Presentations to be akin to Acrobat Password encrypted self-contained presentations. He wants that functionality built into Keynote so he can type in the password, I suppose, or protect his stolen presentation from being opened by a thief, perhaps.

I think he'd rather see Keynote be able to export all those transitions and other animated functionality to a self-contained PDF that he can encrypt, but I won't speak for him.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    iPhone sales were a bit disappointing.

/ I'll get my coat.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

Had my wife given me a iPad for Christmas Apple's sale would have been $499 higher!

How many like me didn't let Santa know? Around $99,000,000 worth of sales?

She did raise my allowance by $9.60 a week for 2011 so I'll buy my own next Christmas.

Just buy ten shares of AAPL and let it fund itself. One year target is about $450, even after you pay capital gains, you'll have enough for a nice iPad.

• Reply 34 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

With the $2 billion higher profits than people expected alone Apple could already easily cover a full year of significantly lower profit margins of selling the iPad 2 with a 3 times more expensive ultra high-res screen, without even having to increase the retail price compared to the current model. Of course things aren't as simple as that, but with the money like running water, if I were in charge, I'd be inclined to just say 'what the heck, just do it and let the competition bite the dust'

If you were in charge, Apple wouldn't have $60 B in the bank.

The iPad is the market leader in almost every way you can count. The competitors' products are half the size, but cost as much as the iPad or more. Just why in the world would Apple drop the price?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Dammit, I can't believe I panic-sold 125 shares at 327 (god only knows how I got hosed so badly -- the order went through in a hole this AM).

Learn to use limit orders.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Here's an interesting group of numbers I haven't seen reported yet:

iPhone: 16,240,000

iPad: 7,330,000

iPod Touch: 10,000,000 (19.45 million units, over half of which were iPod touch)

Apple TV: 1,000,000 (we know they sold at least this many)

Total IOS devices sold this quarter: 34,570,000

Average IOS sales per day over the last quarter: 384,111.

Looks to me like IOS is outselling Android by a huge margin, since they have only recently started claiming over 300,000 per day
  • Reply 36 of 42
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you were in charge, Apple wouldn't have $60 B in the bank.

Apple's cash reserves are estimated to be $70B buy the end of 20111; after today's performance, I suspect that number will be substantially higher. At some point, Apple needs to do something with that money - buy something, buy marketshare or return some to shareholders as dividends. I did not buy Apple with the anticipation of a dividend check, so I will be fine if they do either of the other two options.

Or, they can always open a bank.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Big story for me is the announcement of 3 more prepaid component deals - just as I have been suggesting. These deals are not only returning great margins to Apple, but also likely disrupting the supply chains of competitors. Not to mention that they may be providing Apple with exclusive access to new technologies.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Amazing numbers. The iPhones and Mac numbers are impressive. The iPads?! even more impressive!! That's 14.8M iPads in 2010!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

iPod Touch: 10,000,000 (19.45 million units, over half of which were iPod touch)

Looks to me like IOS is outselling Android by a huge margin, since they have only recently started claiming over 300,000 per day

Steve Jobs knew what he was talking about when he said RIM won't catch up as well. Apple sold 2 million more iPhones than BlackBerry devices.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Omfg!
  • Reply 40 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Android activations reached 300K in the first week of December. October started at about 200k. Average 250k for Quarter.

I still would have preferred more iPhone sales - however that was supply constraints.