Apple issues second beta of iOS 4.3, says new gestures just a preview

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I kind of expected developments in handwriting recognition by now. Imagine if you could take notes as an image but it would be searchable via OCR/handwriting recognition, kind of like some Google Books.

EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD BUY AN iPAD. How come they haven't done this?? Perhaps even recognition of what you're trying to draw, like shapes in flow charts. Like translating your scribbles into Visio.

Also perhaps they'll add Flash eventually. Flash isn't going anywhere, from my understanding. It's a huge business platform. Probably the most-used business platform, next only to PDF (another Adobe product) and MS Office. Adding flash to iOS would boost iDevice sales, especially iPad sales to businesses I would think. I don't understand how AAPL shareholders can let Steve Jobs sit back and leave cold hard cash sitting on the table for some weird war. Adobe's suite is one reason MacOS still exists and Apple should be (were) best friends with Adobe.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Also perhaps they'll add Flash eventually. Flash isn't going anywhere, from my understanding. It's a huge business platform. Probably the most-used business platform, next only to PDF (another Adobe product) and MS Office. Adding flash to iOS would boost iDevice sales, especially iPad sales to businesses I would think. I don't understand how AAPL shareholders can let Steve Jobs sit back and leave cold hard cash sitting on the table for some weird war. Adobe's suite is one reason MacOS still exists and Apple should be (were) best friends with Adobe.

When they are selling all that they can build, they are not leaving any money on the table. That nay be an issue in the future but it isn't right now.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Maybe it is me that is lame, that I can't do some of the multiple finger gestures with a high degree of reliability....

I do agree it would be nice to do away with the home button at least on the face of the device, that would allow either larger screen or my vote would be for a smaller bezel around a slightly smaller but higher resolution display.

I find that the ipad is physically too large for me to tote around as much as I wold like, and having used some of the 7 inch units their size is more portable for me even though I am at the point where vision is starting to degrade. I would not want to give up the functionality of the big screen. In ten years maybe I'll change my tune as my eyesight will doubtless degrade and that bigger size will be an acceptable trade off but for now a slight reduction in size and full screen use of the available area with the smallest possible bezel would make the ipad even more perfect for me.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdarren View Post

Is it just me or does the whole multi-finger gesture thing seem kinda lame. One I understand, two okay I can do that, three gets tricky 4 and 5 no way on an iphone. I use a magic track pad and it is bigger than an iphone and I still have issues with the multiple finger stuff, sometimes remembering how many figures yields the result I want sometimes it is more physically making the gesture without an accidental lift or bad finger contact. I wonder why adding fingers seems to be the way Apple wants to go.

I have used mouse and pen based systems that use gestures (obviously single point) that are more shaped based. This seems much more reasonable to me than the same action with more fingers. Up swipes, down swipes, left and right swipes, pinches are all fine with one finger or two now add diagonals and checkmarks and maybe X and O shapes and some other 'universal' shapes or even numeral or letter shapes that have relevance to the action, though I can see how those are more problematical given language differences.

Well, yes and no. I use one, two, three and four finger swipes on my MBP trackpad and find it annoying when I get on an old machine that doesn't support these gestures. But four or five finger gestures on an iPhone would be pushing it. Your digits have to be very pointy to fit four on a vertically held iphone on a downward swipe. On the iPad multi finger gestures should work fine.

It is interesting how touch and gesture based input is becoming a natural part of computer interaction. At first I found it quite unnatural. I found it hard to see beyond the mouse and keyboard. But over time that's all changed. I have an e-reader which doesn't have touch input and though I love the reader, using buttons and a 'navigation button' (left right up down) feels archaic and very 'wrong'.

I have avoided adding more gestures and input options to my magic mouse as I am unsure I'd bother to use them but I am warming to a magic track pad. Most of us have two functional arms and wrists and ten fingers and yet we spend most of the time using one arm and one wrist/hand and mostly two fingers to interact with our computer. Things will be very different 5 years from now, I suspect.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I have mixed feelings about the new gestures. My only concern is that it might limit the developers access to such gestures. So I think Apple made a good move by seeding this to developers first. This way they can test it and look for possible work arounds if it does create problems.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I kind of expected developments in handwriting recognition by now. Imagine if you could take notes as an image but it would be searchable via OCR/handwriting recognition, kind of like some Google Books.

EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD BUY AN iPAD. How come they haven't done this?? Perhaps even recognition of what you're trying to draw, like shapes in flow charts. Like translating your scribbles into Visio.

You can!!!! Just not as part of the OS itself.

1) Squiggle into a graphic app, taking notes with a stylus ($11.96 on sale this week at OWC).

2) Upload it into Evernote.

3) Wait a few minutes. It has been OCR'ed for you!

It works with text in photos too. Once its OCR'ed it's searchable in Evernote.

Seems like this could be an Apple commercial or YouTube viral topic to get the word out.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Re: gestures, seems it might be useful for apple to start using that fingerworks tech to recognise which fingers are being used. Seems like a good step to use the area of the screen being touched, and the relative angles, motion, position, dimensions, vectors to determine the specific fingers in play. Imagine it would take a ridiculous amount of testing, tweaking, especially considering problems people have just with multi-finger swipes. But then, it might work more reliably, especially if somewhat limited in scope.

Whilst the three, four, five finger gestures to bring up a notifications panel is cool, why they haven't just made a frickin panel already is beyond me. Whilst the multitasking tray is open, what is 80% of the screen is being used for? Seems like a waste for "cancel", unless there are lots of novice users accidentally invoking it.

Back to the mac? I'd like to see mission control/exposé/dashboard/live "window" previews on the multitasking screen, spotlight? There's something to the widgets and previews views of android, webOS, but it's not what they've done. It'd be great to be able to quickly pop out to mission control from mail, preview the safari/notes/whatever page I'm referencing and pop back, no switching. It's all there in Apple's repository and OS X, it'll come I guess. Just hope Steve's around to see it all released \
  • Reply 28 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Whilst the three, four, five finger gestures to bring up a notifications panel is cool, why they haven't just made a frickin panel already is beyond me. Whilst the multitasking tray is open, what is 80% of the screen is being used for? Seems like a waste for "cancel", unless there are lots of novice users accidentally invoking it.

I think we will see the notification system in iOS 5. Apple needed to tackle multitasking first, which they did in iOS 4. They will need a whole new API and UI for widget/notification system. My thinking is when you swipe up you get multitasking bar and when you swipe down the status bar moves down revealing the global notification system. This is possible with the iPad using four fingers but I have no idea how they can deal with it on the iPhone/iPod touch.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    As a quick aside, I'll just note that I got my hands on one of the competitors 7" tablets a few days ago and was utterly unimpressed by it's sluggish response. iPad wins again.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Aka they are saving them for iPad 2. Or they will release them when the release the iOS that goes along with iPad 2 for iPad 1.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Why can't Apple adopt the Google School of Software Development and unleash it upon its customers, who can beta test it on the fly?

Because apple doesn't want to treat their customers like garbage? Sorry, but I don't want to be apple's free beta tester. I want a finished product that actually works.

IMHO google's releases fail (wave anyone?) because they don't bother to get it right at the beginning, BEFORE they release it to the world.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think a two finger pinch would be cool for notifications.

How do you even finish this sentence without thinking, Duh, this can't happen. ?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Just add Apps.

The major downside would be a problem with display on widescreen TV's which have a different aspect ratio to other iOS devices.

Unless you are mirroring your devices screen what you say makes no sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? Apps that only support 4:3 aspect I assume? That's in the hands of the developer, that's not Apple's problem.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I think a cool gesture for a cookbook app would include a 'pinch of salt' and a 'dash of pepper'.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've been using an app called FlyGesture. I'd rather see something like this that I can see on the monitor rather than on an input device. I don't want to learn umpteen gestures that don't always work even after taking my eyes off the monitor.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...71003073516550

FlyGesture works a lot like Automator. You can create a single action, or chains of actions to be invoked by the simple movements of your mouse. ...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

1) Squiggle into a graphic app, taking notes with a stylus ($11.96 on sale this week at OWC).

Seems like this could be an Apple commercial or YouTube viral topic to get the word out.

Thanks Hiro! That's really awesome, I had not heard of this. You deserve a commission! If iPad 2 were not around the corner I would get one right now for class. But when iPad 2 comes out, I will probably get one for notes for class. This is great, worth it to me.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Okay, just DLed Evernote for iPad. What is the link to this stylus and are there better styli than the one you mentioned or is that a non-issue here.

edit:

• Ten One Design, $11.96 — http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Ten%2...ign/TIAP25102/

• Griffen, $17.29 — http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Griff...ology/GC16040/
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Anyone getting an unknown error 1651 when connecting their IP4 to iTunes? iTunes could not check for an update to your carrier settings blah blah.

Apple Website help is useless unless you buy the extended help plan.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, just DLed Evernote for iPad. What is the link to this stylus and are there better styli than the one you mentioned or is that a non-issue here.

edit:

? Ten One Design, $11.96 ? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Ten%2...ign/TIAP25102/

? Griffen, $17.29 ? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Griff...ology/GC16040/

I haven't used the stylus myself, yet. I have some students that do though and they really like them. Not sure which one.