Documents may offer sneak peek at Adobe's plans for Creative Suite 6

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    As much as I like Final Cut 7, having to constantly render video whilst working on a project is a real pain on my 3 year old iMac.

The Mercury Engine in Premier CS5 is fantastic! Apple really need to update FC with a similar feature. Regarding the UI, Premier CS5 is starting to grow on me...

As for After Effects - this program is just awesome!

Adobe may have their far share of critics, but I have to say I'm loving CS5..

I look forward to seeing what Apple do with Final Cut (and the replacement for Shake)....

Regards,
  • Reply 42 of 50
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I look forward to seeing what Apple do with Final Cut (and the replacement for Shake)....

What ever happened to Apple's Phenomenon? I thought was supposed to be delivered several years ago? Has Apple abandoned this effort?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

God I'd love to see Apple buy Adobe.

The same company who still release C2D laptops? People say Adobe is not advancing; like Logic does ever since it's in the hands of Jobs.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meridian180 View Post

What's worse is that the development team knows about a lot of problems, they know what the solution is, but aren't allowed to do anything about it because the Marketing muckity-mucks won't let them.

i would like to see what records you have supporting this claim because this seems to strange to believe. are you privy to internal communications at Adobe? as a software developer from 2000 to 2006 inclusive, i never had marketing dictate my activities. any sensible product manager wouldn't be swayed by marketing.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    c cc c Posts: 8member
    I'd like to see Adobe's release dates driven more by significant features and improvements, instead of being dictated by management's concerns about the stockholders. I know...that's naive. Oh well.

Regardless, to clear up an error and misleading statement in the article:

Quote:

Adobe's Creative Suite software is typically updated every 12 to 18 months

Correct my if I'm wrong, but I think it's been 18-24 months or more each time:

CS1 Sep 2003 - about 18-24 months after previous versions of Photoshop & Illustrator

CS2 Apr 2005 - 19 months

CS3 Apr 2007 - 24 months

CS4 Oct 2008 - 18 month

CS5 Apr 2010 - 18 months

Quote:

Months before the release of the software, in February 2009, AppleInsider offered an exclusive peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac,

That would have been 14 months...more than a YEAR before. There were rumors that it would ship in the last few months 2009. but that didn't happen.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

What ever happened to Apple's Phenomenon? I thought was supposed to be delivered several years ago? Has Apple abandoned this effort?

It was never confirmed. Just some rumour that was probably made up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM

As much as I like Final Cut 7, having to constantly render video whilst working on a project is a real pain on my 3 year old iMac.

Yeah, I don't know why they insist on a render before playback. Even if it played sub-real-time, I doubt anyone would care. If you even so much as retime a clip, you have to render the whole thing.

They need to clean up their errors too - I tried to open a clip recently and it just said unknown file error. Dragging the clip onto the icon gave a different error, which said the clip used an unsupported framerate. The whole thing needs an overhaul.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C C

I'd like to see Adobe's release dates driven more by significant features and improvements

I think the way the CS Suite is now, they need to change the pricing to suit. I suggested to the Adobe guy who was here asking about their CS Live features to go with subscriptions instead of packages but never charge for updates.

Right now, you pay for a Suite at great expense and that's it. No big updates, services are charged on top. I think a better option is to simply license it out so say the full CS Suite is $2000. Instead of Adobe charging you that up front, they just ask for say $70 per month. This includes all services and all updates free forever. You just keep paying $70 a month.

In the long term you might end up paying more but you never have to pay for upgrades, you get all the services free and you don't feel screwed over owning an old version nor cheated that an update wasn't worthwhile. If you stop using the Suite, you stop paying.

Obviously over a long period of time, people could end up paying way more depending on how they price it but Adobe would realise this after the first year and adjust pricing accordingly. If they assume that an average user buys a $1000 suite with 5 apps and upgrades every 4 years at $500 then over a 40 year working period, they spend $6000.

Dividing that out, you get $13 per month for the Suites and around double at $26 per month for the Master Collection. They can even price it per app. I'd say $5 per month per app would work. If you only use Illustrator on one project, you pay $5 for that month and that's it.

It means design companies can start on a shoe-string budget, it means you manage costs more easily and the companies can manage their income more easily. For a monolithic suite, it seems like the best option. Same with Final Cut, same with the Autodesk apps. You do remove the commitment to the package in many ways but I don't see it affecting the big suites. People commit to them because they are good packages anyway.

If they came to an agreement together, Apple and Adobe could do the same so you could license Final Cut, After Effects, Soundbooth, Photoshop and Color and build the best suite for yourself. Everybody wins. There would be one license granted for those apps together.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

The same company who still release C2D laptops?

That... millions still buy.

Dell and HP still sell Pentiums. What's your point?
  • Reply 48 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Wow:

Breakthrough capabilities, design across screens (where els?), increase productivity, accurate result than before, work done in record time, productifity boosters, fewer steps.....

Every major upgrade Adobe is making statements like these, ignoring what people really want to hear: like what changes and improvements the software has.

All of the above is just thin air, marketing tricks to make you want to buy a big chunk of crap, wrapped in beautiful paper...
  • Reply 50 of 50
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Has anyone here ever tried to use InDesign with the Magic Mouse?

The Magic Mouse was released in October 2009. CS5 was released in April 2010. We're now in 2011.

Adobe has become Quark. Enough said.