Apple hires former NSA, Navy analyst as security czar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Let's hope that as a high profile figure, Rice can help educate the public about what a secure OS is, and finally dispel the myth -- or deliberate lie -- that the reason there are no viruses and little malware for OS X has something to do with market share.

Well said, this propaganda has been festering away and people actually are dumb enough to believe it. Can you imagine that no one has attempted to infect OSX .

Of course they have, but were unsuccessful. That is why several Macs over the past 12 years Have shown trace of infection.

I rest my case.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    an intriguing hire, I am interested to see what comes from this.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Great, now OS X can have built in NSA backdoors just like Windows!

At NeXT we routinely had contracts with the CIA and the NSA.

We provided custom builds of NeXTStep and Openstep for them. These weren't builds the Public ever used.

The same for Merrill Lynch, Swiss National Bank, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Do you remember of a guy called Eric Schmidt (Google), who sat on Aaple's board?

The outcome was infamous.

So they happily hire this person, and all will still be sweet?

Do you believe everything your government tells you? So why believe Apple.

Way to miss the point.

The fact of the matter is, the NSA probably already has all the resources it needs to overcome the privacy protections in Windows, Linux, OS X, and any other consumer-grade operating system, without the need to assign covert operatives to insert any new backdoors into the code.

This guy's presence at Apple, even if he really is being two-faced about is true intentions for being there (which, frankly, is quite a dubious claim to be making), won't make matters any worse, simply because your home PC, be it Windows-based, Linux-based, or Mac OS-based, is probably already an open book to a determined NSA investigation.

And if he really is genuine about his intentions to improve the security of the Mac platform, then he might be just the kind of thinker needed to make material improvements.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I'm not so much worried about anything sinister happening under the hood while Jobbs' is reigning. After him is another story; there might be a lot of 'cultural' changes that scare even your most dedicated fanboys away.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but historically pleasing everyone all the time never works. Whether it's your favorite musician who decided he needed to 'appeal to a wider audience' or an OS that tries to be a business and consumer OS simultaneously.

This along with the whole VLC and Wikileaks fiasco are not great signs of what's to come.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Perhaps this is a move specifically aimed at more than IT in enterprise, perhaps it is in response to interest from the Military itself in Apple products.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Well said, this propaganda has been festering away and people actually are dumb enough to believe it. Can you imagine that no one has attempted to infect OSX .

Of course they have, but were unsuccessful. That is why several Macs over the past 12 years Have shown trace of infection.

I rest my case.

You need to rest something!
  • Reply 28 of 55
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Guess Steve Jobs did read my email after all. I told them to bolster the security of Mac OS X

by fully implementing ASLR. I also told Steve to increase enterprise focus and hire more direct sales force. Steve and Tim got it.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    And this seems logical. Rice graduated from West Point, which is an Elite School. And NSA is a heavy user of NEXTStep, the predecessor of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Let's hope that as a high profile figure, Rice can help educate the public about what a secure OS is, and finally dispel the myth -- or deliberate lie -- that the reason there are no viruses and little malware for OS X has something to do with market share.

Actually that is just an excuse given by the would be attackers so they don't sound lame crying about how hard it is to hack an Apple product without the explicit and deliberate cooperation of the person who has physical access to the product.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Great, now OS X can have built in NSA backdoors just like Windows!

Or, since he is a FORMER employee of the NSA - he can PLUG the backdoor(s).
  • Reply 32 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

I rest my case.

?"trace of infection??" There is no such thing.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well let's hope that Apple takes security more serious with him. Not that they ignore things, but as in more responsive and quicker to action. Their silence at times, while normal for them, shouldn't be that way in security. This is something they can take a page from M$.

Total FUD.

I hope that you understand the difference between ignorance and stupidity. IMO your points are leaning way to the right.

P.S. To help you and those that think Apple is asleep at the wheel re security, perhaps start at http://www.apple.com/support/security/ and all the links on the page, and all the links on the pages it links to.

Further Reading: http://www.nsa.gov/ia/guidance/secur..._systems.shtml
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

What with the million odd virus alerts ?

You must be joking, what can possibly M$ offer Apple ?

I know a philosophy of creating garbage !

M$ responsive, show me proof and comparisons where they have been and Apple hasn't.

Anybody can make statements like you have, give us the evidence.

You're missing the point of what I am saying. I am saying that M$ keeps the public informed of what bulletins are going to be released at the next update. Of course I know that Windows has more issues, but unlike the silent Apple, M$ acknowledges it and states when a patch is going to be released. Apple rarely says there is an issue and will randomly release an update or just package it into the next system update.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Guess Steve Jobs did read my email after all. I told them to bolster the security of Mac OS X

by fully implementing ASLR. I also told Steve to increase enterprise focus and hire more direct sales force. Steve and Tim got it.

Your a Mac and Lion was your idea...

• Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You're missing the point of what I am saying. I am saying that M$ keeps the public informed of what bulletins are going to be released at the next update. Of course I know that Windows has more issues, but unlike the silent Apple, M$ acknowledges it and states when a patch is going to be released. Apple rarely says there is an issue and will randomly release an update or just package it into the next system update.

Total BS.

When MS states a patch is being released, it rarely is more than a day or two away, if they do.

By the way, Apple released more than three dozen security updates last year. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Your FUD is like Green Peace's ratings on Apple, i.e., give it low ratings because it won't tell you what and when you are going to do and not considering what you have actually done.

As Steve has been quoted as saying, "There's an old Wayne Gretzky quote that I love - 'I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.' And we've always tried to do that at Apple. Since the very, very beginning. And we always will."
  • Reply 37 of 55
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There is such a thing as a degree in Information Warfare? Cool.

Yes, there is, but it isn't really what it sounds like. More like the science of signals interception and jamming. Still really useful stuff, and has a definite respect for hardware.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    He is not a czar ... stop using this ridiculous term.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At NeXT we routinely had contracts with the CIA and the NSA.

We provided custom builds of NeXTStep and Openstep for them. These weren't builds the Public ever used.

DUDE!!! That information was classified!!! WTF??!?!?!?!!
  • Reply 40 of 55
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

... they should invest in making there own screens, CPUs (as opposed to collaboration with Samsung) make their own gpus, etc.

Screens wouldn't be good idea, cost to build factory is tremendous and technology changes too rapidly to get a decent ROI on the initial investment. Same is true with CPUs and GPUs. Samsung and other mfgs can spread factory costs to other lower end products as new technology becomes available. Apple wouldn't be able to do this without manufacturing these items for others as today's state of the art product becomes tomorrow's commodity item.