Deutsche Bank very positive on iPhone trial, 'no going back' to BlackBerry

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There are two issues here. First, financial institutions often have to implement security restrictions to satisfy auditors. Sometimes they seem "over-zealous" but the point is to protect sensitive data, which is often data that belongs to customers of the financial institution.

Secondly, the reason financial institutions record phone calls is that the phone call is often the only record that exists of a transaction, who it was made with and the terms that both parties agreed to. For example, traders may simply call each other and say something like, "I'll buy $50-Million in 5-year notes, maturing on <date> at <price> from you." The guy on the other end says, "OK," and the deal is done. If that phone call isn't recorded, there is no record of the agreed to terms of the transaction.

Also, I believe the SIM can be locked to the IMEI.

As a company we do not record mobile phone conversations by choice. Some do for the above reasons but the regulators have the bit between their teeth and seem to think this is the way ahead! Of course anyone can buy a PAYG phone and use that for anything they don't want recorded and so I agree that the regulation itself is probably a waste of time yet is extremely expensive to implement. Where is the line drawn?! What about VOIP calls (Skype, Facetime etc)? IM applications such as WhatsApp etc. Will everyone have to wear live webcams because of course people could always do things the old fashioned way and meet face to face! Anyway, it is what it is but the point being that this regulation comes in to force in Nov and will have an effect on the use of iphones in the work place unless a solution is found. I don't see Apple in a hurry to solve the issue as I believe US law is almost at the other extreme in that it is illegal to record phone calls without the consent of the other caller?

So just as our company was opening up to the use of iphones I suspect this will quickly get curtailed and support withdrawn until a solution is found.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loobie View Post

As a company we do not record mobile phone conversations by choice. Some do for the above reasons but the regulators have the bit between their teeth and seem to think this is the way ahead! Of course anyone can buy a PAYG phone and use that for anything they don't want recorded and so I agree that the regulation itself is probably a waste of time yet is extremely expensive to implement. Where is the line drawn?! What about VOIP calls (Skype, Facetime etc)? IM applications such as WhatsApp etc. Will everyone have to wear live webcams because of course people could always do things the old fashioned way and meet face to face! Anyway, it is what it is but the point being that this regulation comes in to force in Nov and will have an effect on the use of iphones in the work place unless a solution is found. I don't see Apple in a hurry to solve the issue as I believe US law is almost at the other extreme in that it is illegal to record phone calls without the consent of the other caller?

So just as our company was opening up to the use of iphones I suspect this will quickly get curtailed and support withdrawn until a solution is found.

Unfortunately, this is not quite true. Most states require only one-party notification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Unfortunately, this is not quite true. Most states require only one-party notification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws

Yeh it all looks a bit messy re the US and thus I don't think Apple will have as much pressure on them to resolve the situation as it is only the UK that this law effects initially. Whether others will follow suit we will have to see. But it will certainly affect the use of corporate iphones in the UK until a solution is found or provided.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loobie View Post

The issue here in the UK is that come Nov FSA (financial services authority) dictates than any FSA companies (banks, traders, financial institutions etc) must have all their work mobile phone calls recorded. The current method is to run a non hackable piece of software on phones that effectively routes all calls in to voice recording hardware before the call is routed back to the phone from the recording device. This is all fine with most other brands but currently the iphone does not allow a non hackable way of doing this. Running an app simply is not acceptable as that app can be disabled at will by the user. And so any financial institution will struggle to use iphones come Nov if this issue is not resolved in the UK. And the definition of a work phone is anything that receives work related info. So even if I use my personal iphone to access work emails it is regarded as a work phone and needs to be recorded. Thus any FSA related company that hasn't found a solution to the above will not be able to allow anyone with an iphone to access emails or any work related data.

Although there is still sometime for a solution to be found its certainly a stumbling block in to the adaptation of iphones in the UK.

There are three issues that prevent the current iPhone from being perfect. The lack of a notification light for sms, email, etc is one of them. Surely they could make a user selectable red (or green, yellow, etc.) dot appear on the screen. The "vibrate" mode is next to useless. And finally not being able to record both sides of a conversation without subscribing to some ridiculously expensive third party long distance service. Two of these problems can be fixed with the next software update. Get to work Apple!