RIM PlayBook only garnering half the prelaunch interest of iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

LOLz!!!!

You forgot:
    • Will fit in a large coat pocket--take that, iPad!!!

Don't forget, cost as much or more, for only 45% of the screen size!
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It's all a Public Relations show. RIM has made over 20 announcements about its Playbook and it is not even out for sale yet. On the other hand, Apple made only 1 announcement and item was available on that same day for developers to play with.

Well, it shows that RIM is scared and is just trying to make noise for noise sake. Just like before Blackberry Storm came out, there were many smoke from RIM but Storm never ignited any fire.

Playbook is DOA. I will not take it for free.

Actually, I think the PlayBook is a worthwhile investment.

When released it will gain instant status as a collectors' item -- like the PC/jr.

Be sure to save the manual, tablet and accessories in the original un-opened box, for maximum appreciation.

P.S. Also save the advertising material -- especially if it features co-Little Tramps.

• Reply 43 of 54
    Condering there are about 168 RIM zealots worldwide compared to 25 MILLION Apple Zealots, 50% is actually a very respectable number.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Condering there are about 168 RIM zealots worldwide compared to 25 MILLION Apple Zealots, 50% is actually a very respectable number.

Heh! Good made up numbers.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh! Good made up numbers.

Thanks..... but I don't think my numbers(albeit far off) are that far from reasonable percentages. How many people do you know that will buy ANYTHING just because it has RIM stamped on it?? I can't think of one person I know, BUT every time I see someone with an Apple branded mouse, for instance, I realize how many people will buy ANYTHING with an Apple logo slapped on the back.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Thanks..... but I don't think my numbers(albeit far off) are that far from reasonable percentages. How many people do you know that will buy ANYTHING just because it has RIM stamped on it?? I can't think of one person I know, BUT every time I see someone with an Apple branded mouse, for instance, I realize how many people will buy ANYTHING with an Apple logo slapped on the back.

I've had to go to a dental surgeon for work this past year, several times. The young women in the office all have BBs. They think it's the greatest thing on earth. They hate Apple, because it's "closed", but it's obvious that they were told that, and don't know what it really means. They keep saying that it's what all the kids are getting. One had just bought a new one, and was saying how great the "visual voicemail" was. I explained that Apple invented that, but she gave me that "I don't know if I believe you" look.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    I played with the Playbook at CES and felt it was pretty terrible. I don't see 6 million of anyone buying that thing. I'm a biased iPad user but I'm a fan of technology first and I'll give anything a fair shake.

With that said I just felt it didn't do anything well. Even the Blackberry person had trouble tapping links and getting various responses. She tried to wow me by running Quake while a video was running in the background. The device felt to small and out of place in my hands.

Who knows, maybe it will be somewhat successful but I highly doubt it. While I was at CES I will say what I noticed a lot of and that was iPads. Many, Many people sitting down and conducting work with their iPad.

Too little too late RIMM, good luck to ya.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    A survey like that is very deceptive. The Playbook is aimed at companies that already issue Blackberries to their employees. Most companies that use Blackberries will rather issue Playbooks instead of iPads because the security infrastructure is proven and security is all those companies care about. If I would do a survey to find out how many consumers are interested in buying cash registers or delivery vans, I would also find that there is more interest in PS3's or sports cars. I wouldn't buy a Playbook but I wouldn't mind getting one from my work.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I explained that Apple invented that, but she gave me that "I don't know if I believe you" look.

Actually, the inventor and patent holder for visual voice mail is Judah Klausner who recieved a patent for it in 1992.

Apple, ATT and eBay (Skype) settled a patent suit with Klausner in 2007 or 2008 regarding visual voicemail.

So, while Apple certainly popularized visual voicemail, they did not invent it.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...le-and-others/
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

Don't forget, cost as much or more, for only 45% of the screen size!

A bargain at twice the price!
  • Reply 51 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Actually, the inventor and patent holder for visual voice mail is Judah Klausner who recieved a patent for it in 1992.

Apple, ATT and eBay (Skype) settled a patent suit with Klausner in 2007 or 2008 regarding visual voicemail.

It is actually possible for something to be invented twice, independently, for example, calculus. Too bad Newton didn't have a patent.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...le-and-others/

Maybe, but Apple (if it was the case) took the idea to the NEXT level and beyond, that what it does all the time, with "pure" Apple products, or ideas that it bought from others.

I suppose you are the type of person who thinks M$ invented the GUI and when told otherwise (that it was Apple), points out it was Xerox. Man we can't win with your type. lol !

By the way, Apple PURCHASED LEGALLY the GUI from Xerox, although there are lots of Apple Haters out there who think otherwise.

Windows STOLE the GUI from Apple, it did not purchase it nor did it go to Xerox with a floppy disk in hand asking them to COPY C: *.* A: *.*

So the term popularise infers stealing in your vocabulary doesn't it ?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    here is a link a found that you just might want about the crazy claims that RIM is making
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Most of this data is essentially meaningless.

I'll agree with you that the data are fraught with opportunities for misunderstanding.

But that's not to say worthless. Buzz matters, and when Steve Jobs intro'd the iPhone to a tech audience and then announced that developers could do OMG HTML apps on the iPhone, the silence was deafening. I'm sure that Apple had the developer toolkit in mind, but that feedback was probably worth a couple billion dollars to Apple in telling them to reprioritize.

Same as with the 2011 Playbook. Playbook comes with OMG HTML developer tools, or Adobe AIR. Both are competent, but limited tools. Many of the bandied 4000 apps for Playbook will be ports of very modest games or front-ends to websites that could just as well be done in the browser. The native development toolkit is only hinted at in official material; my guess is that it's a LOOONG way from availability, and RIM ALSO has to prioritize its BlackBerry OS6, a very different beast intended to run on much more limited hardware.

So this reinforces my guesstimates that Playbook will bow with some basic PDA stuff and a browser, not much else that'd generate much excitement. You won't see the head of EA talking about their great new game. Doubt you'll see a OneNote port. InstaPaper, yadayadayada. No way to write these in a way that'll do credit to the developer, and a very unknown market, leading to severe chicken-and-egg.