Pico projector seen an unlikely addition to Apple's iPhone until 2013

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone hopeful to see a portable pico projector in Apple's forthcoming fifth-generation iPhone -- or any other smartphone this year -- will likely disappointed by a new report, which says not to expect such technology until after 2012.

Supply chains sources have indicated to DigiTimes that the iPhone 5 will not employ a so-called "pico projector," which would allow the device to include the ability to project video images onto an external surface.

"Sources from pico projector makers pointed out that the related (research and development) is still not mature and demand from consumers has yet to appear, so smartphone-use pico projector models are unlikely to start mass shipping until after 2012," the report said.

"The drawback is the large power consumption, weak lumen rate and poor image quality, the sources pointed out."

The report noted that rumors are "circulating around the market" that Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone could include a pico projector. But indications from overseas component makers would suggest that such a feature wouldn't show up in an iPhone until 2013 at the earliest, in time for a seventh-generation iPhone.

While this year's iPhone may not include a pico projector, one report on Tuesday indicated that Apple has plans to include a near-field communications chip in the so-called "iPhone 5." The additional hardware would allow Apple's next-generation handset to serve as an "e-wallet" for wireless authorization of transactions with the handset at compatible kiosks.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider revealed that the iPhone 5 will include a dual core SGX543 graphics processor, along with the second-generation iPad. The new graphics processor will be capable of 1080p high-definition video playback, and will offer improved 3D graphics.

Other rumors have suggested that the iPhone 5 could be a world phone with integrated CDMA and GSM chips. That would allow Apple to manufacture and sell one handset model compatible with most major carriers around the world. Apple is currently separately manufacturing a new CDMA variant of the iPhone 4, set to debut on the Verizon network in the U.S. on Feb. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is one feature I'm in no rush to have.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Agreed
  • Reply 3 of 20
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    It only makes sense (if at all) for a purely business focused audience. I don't see a consumer use for it at all and would be shocked to see Apple adding the cost for such a sub-audience.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Supply chains sources have indicated to DigiTimes that the iPhone 5 will not employ a so-called "pico projector," which would allow the device to include the ability to project video images onto an external surface. ...

No offence Katie, but who the f*ck thought this was going to happen anyway?

The article makes it sound like this was a sure thing that now isn't going to be happening as soon as we hoped, when in reality no one really thought this was in the cards at all.

I'd bet money that we won't see a pico projector in the iPhone (or likely *any* phone) for a long, long time if ever. The reason being that any projector that is bright enough to work is also a battery hog, a heat generator extraordinaire, and a clear danger to anyone who puts their eyes up to it. I would think that such a device wouldn't pass the safety tests unless it was a standalone unit, and that even if it did, it would be removed from the market after the first cute little child is paraded on Fox news after being blinded by the silly thing.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I too echo the sentiment thus far. And in response to GQB, I can't say that I see it appealing much to the business focused audience either. There is simply not enough light output (IMO) for it to be really viable in that respect.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    OMG who cares about this feature?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

yup, no rush at all.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Stick me down on the "never" list too.

And in other news the iPhone isn't expected to feature a flying teapot or spaghetti monster until 2016.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Well, seems to be unanimous - pico projectors will not appear on iPhones.

Really makes no sense at all - if for no other reason, than the projector must remain very steady to project anything.

However, a pico projector in an iPad base might be interesting. The base could provide either a large enough battery or an external power supply. It would be steady, and could be directed to an appropriate wall for slideshows, movies or business presentations.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    A very lame feature indeed
  • Reply 11 of 20
    airplay>pico projector
  • Reply 12 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

"The drawback is the large power consumption, weak lumen rate and poor image quality, the sources pointed out."

Great news! Discounting a weak heart, damaged lungs and unusable kidneys the patient is in perfect health!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It?s VERY neat from a ?tech hobbyist? perspective?and even for some (rare) real-world situations. But that?s not enough to justify the added device size and cost. Better make it optional. A nice case that has a projector built in, maybe with a battery.

Or better yet, just carry an external picoprojector (like you already can). Because who wants the touch interface to be physically part of the projection device? Tap for next-slide.... oops! Jiggled the picture, blinded a passer-by, and made him drop scalding coffee on any number of babies.

Is your PowerPoint worth that? Do you hate babies that much?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Please Apple, don't make a pico projector until it has a Retina Display™.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    What Apple really needs to do is just make a universal VGA-connector kits for iPhone and iPad, that can project all apps, not just iWorks and a few other compatible ones. Oh, and while they're at it, make the iPad camera connector kit work with iPhone too...please! I'd love to use my iPhone as an external HDD to transfer my pictures from my camera when I'm on vacation.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Well, seems to be unanimous - pico projectors will not appear on iPhones.

Really makes no sense at all - if for no other reason, than the projector must remain very steady to project anything.

However, a pico projector in an iPad base might be interesting. The base could provide either a large enough battery or an external power supply. It would be steady, and could be directed to an appropriate wall for slideshows, movies or business presentations.

This won't happen for a long long time if ever either,
  • Reply 17 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

This won't happen for a long long time if ever either,

It could happen any time?from third parties. Sounds like a good accessory idea to me, especially with nice speakers built-in. (Except I?d make it a universal dock for iPhones and iPod Touches as well; in fact, many non-touch iPods can at least output a slideshow to video via the dock connector: that started with the very first color-screen iPod, the iPod Photo.)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I think this would be a great idea, but only as an optional device. Bluetooth would be great.

I can see several uses for it. I am sure you can buy something out there now, but I am sure that Apple can do it better.

Imagine spending some time out with the family; A camping trip. You can probably find a plug to recharge your device and iphone or touch, (you really don't want to take your laptop out there). But you could load up on 2 or 3 Disney movies. You hang up a white cloth and watch those movies with your family and friends.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It could happen any time—from third parties. Sounds like a good accessory idea to me, especially with nice speakers built-in. (Except I’d make it a universal dock for iPhones and iPod Touches as well; in fact, many non-touch iPods can at least output a slideshow to video via the dock connector: that started with the very first color-screen iPod, the iPod Photo.)

Ta da!! As if by magic exactly what you're after for <£250 - released last summer.

http://www.iphonemili.com/Products_s...?ID=17&MaxID=2

But the fact that this charges the phone/iPod, works with other VGA sources and folds down into a seperate device makes it infinitely preferable to building a projector into the phone; that is just bonkers.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    What the hell is a Pico projector ?

Pico is a unit of measurement, so why use this terminology ?

Who cares anyway, who wants it ? Just f&*$^#g suits sitting around in a meeting.

There is a thing called Apple TV and Airplay.

By the way, side tracking here. I have installed AirView on my iPhone 3Gs and iPad, but NOTHING happens. Is this what it is suppose to do ? What a crock of s#$t !

If not, can anyone help and advise me what settings I need to change for this to work ?