Apple's online store reveals Verizon iPhone contract plans and options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

$39.99 just for voice, and you still have to pay for the phone?

I'm not even joking when I say this: why has no one "rebelled" and put a stop to this US cellphone extortion? As a european, I'd be disgusted if I had to pay $39.99 monthly for unlimited everything, let alone *just voice*!!

Because there's nothing to use as an alternate for rebelling.

ALL the major cellcos have the same over-the-coals pricing plans. Pre-paid / pay-as-you-go providers are creeping up on those pricing plans as well. Virgin Mobile is the only PP service I've found in my part of the States that has anything resembling a reasonable pricing structure for services. This is why I've stayed with them for the past several years, and why I am now going to get an Android phone through them.

I really want an iPhone, but there's not a chance in hell that I'm going to pay Verizon or ATT that much for what VM offers at 1/3rd of the price. I'll just have to hope that I can tether my iPod when VM upgrades to FroYo.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

And what does that Plan give you?

for $40 a month, that customer gets:

450 Anytime minutes

Unlimited Verizon Wireless mobile to mobile

Unlimited Nights and weekends (starting at 9PM going to 6AM)

No nationwide long distance or roaming charges.

All the extras (voice mail, three way calling, call forwarding, caller ID, etc)

Still high. Maybe with new competition with the iPhone you guys might start to get some Loss and Retentions type deals for customers that threaten to cancel. Canadian carriers tend to gouge us, just like your US carriers, IMO, with their in market plans, but their retentions plans can be very compelling.

My voice plan is $30 and for that I get:

Unlimited calling to Canada US

No roaming charges from anywhere in Canada

Visual Voice mail, 3 way calling, caller ID

Unlimited texting to Canada and US

My data add on is $20 which gives me 6GB of data with tethering allowed for the entire allowance. For my usage,and for 99% of people I would think, 6GB is essentially unlimited. I've ever gone over 4GB and usually average 2-3GB, with tethering.

$50 for what is essentially unlimited everything. We now have actual competition, both through new carriers and with multiple carriers selling the iPhone, which has resulted in some what lower in market plans and far superior retentions plans. Hopefully, having Verizon and AT&T go at it for the iPhone business will spur them to start trying to retain existing customers. If T-Mobile and Sprint were to start carrying it, I think you would finally see some real value being offered.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobolinks View Post

it's a good step taken by Verizon, the way things are moving every provider will have to offer unlimited plans. By doing this Verizon has taken the lead.

This unlimited plan is going to last 6 months, tops. After the introductory period it will revert back to a limited plan.

WHY do people think $90/month for a PHONE with data and tethering is a good deal?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,213member
    How does tethering with a smartphone work on Verizon's network, when the phone can't be used for simultaneous voice and data? One of the nice things about tethering with the GSM iPhone is that I can make and take calls at the same time.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

My fiancée pays 30 w/ tax on Rogers for

350 daytime

Evening & Weekends @ 6pm

Call Display, Call ID, Voicemail

I pay just under $60 w/ tax on Rogers for

200 daytime

Evening & Weekends @ 6pm

My10 (10 people in Canada - unlimited txt and calling)

1000 LD minutes

500 MB of data

Call ID, Visual Voicemail, Call Display, 1000 txt messages

Your prices are not good.

I don't see how you compared those two plans and those two prices and came up with "not good". They look very comparable to me. One plan you pay less for and get less, one plan you pay more for and get more.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

the mandatory data plan is what pisses me off.

Fixed, so me, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobolinks View Post

it's a good step taken by Verizon, the way things are moving every provider will have to offer unlimited plans. By doing this Verizon has taken the lead.

No, this isn't happening. It's limited time. It's collusion. We won't ever have "unlimited" plans again. We never really had them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

How does tethering with a smartphone work on Verizon's network, when the phone can't be used for simultaneous voice and data? One of the nice things about tethering with the GSM iPhone is that I can make and take calls at the same time.

Call goes to voicemail if you're actively using data. Comes through if you aren't.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No dice
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Call goes to voicemail if you're actively using data. Comes through if you aren't.

I sure hope not. That implies that if you aren't actively using data, the call will come through, and then the poor sap who you told could use your wifi hotspot will not be able to do anything until you hang up the call.

Who would want simultaneous data and voice at the same time anyway? :-P
  • Reply 29 of 39
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    When you look at it in context to other countries we are not that bad. Most people have a far smaller geographic area in which their service works without having to pay roaming fees or switching out sim cards.

While in the US, our regularly paid service will cover over 3 million square miles with no additional roaming fees. It costs the carriers a lot of money to cover that much territory.

Its not entirely the carriers fault that they cannot cover every square inch with service. They have to work within the laws of physics.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntinghumans.com View Post

I never fail to be amazed by the amount that we are willing to pay for products that NEVER work 100% of the time... Don't get me wrong I have been an iPhone user since day one - but the prices in the US are just insane.

• Reply 30 of 39
    Hell no I'm not switching, plus I don't think verizon would like my average of 70gb of data per month. Not to mention I love having the security of roll over minutes ect. Plus both my lines are set t where I can get the new device every year!
  • Reply 31 of 39
    i already have an account with verizon. i am on my parents plan. what would be the difference in what i have now? i know i would have to pay the 30 for data but would i need to pay any additional for voice? or do i just stay on the same voice as before
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Guess I will wait a while longer for an IPhone. Spending $70 a month is too much for the amount of use I would give an IPhone data. I really want an IPod Touch and a cell phone in one case. I spend enough on my internet access as it is. Everybody wants dollars/month from me and I am unwilling to do it all. Maybe Sprint will have a more affordable plan. Besides I will be getting an IPad2 as soon as they come out.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by algalli View Post

Guess I will wait a while longer for an IPhone. Spending $70 a month is too much for the amount of use I would give an IPhone data. I really want an IPod Touch and a cell phone in one case. I spend enough on my internet access as it is. Everybody wants dollars/month from me and I am unwilling to do it all. Maybe Sprint will have a more affordable plan. Besides I will be getting an IPad2 as soon as they come out.

...you honestly expected them to offer optional data? the iphone has ALWAYS required data, it will ALWAYS require data. Sprint's plan will also be $70 a month if they ever get it, but their price includes unlimited texting.

If you want a phone and a ipod touch in the same case, you're either looking at two devices, or you're paying for data. NO carrier will offer a device like that without requiring a data plan. It would be a customer service nightmare if they did. Consumers are too ignorant of how devices work for it to be feasible because they'll run up data charges and then demand credits. or they'll block data and then complain that picture messaging doesn't work.

Requiring data is better for everyone.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    So for a couple who want to both get iPhones on a shared plan, who also want data and text they could be looking at the following:

Family plan:

1400 minutes $90

Unlimited Data x2 $60

Unlimited Text x2: $40

Total: $190

The same thing on Sprint is $130. That is insane. Please correct me if I'm mistaken
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The same thing on Sprint is $130. That is insane. Please correct me if I'm mistaken

You're mistaken. It's not insane, it's America. Don't like it, don't buy it. Enough people don't and they'll be forced to change.

It exists because people pay it.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

You're mistaken. It's not insane, it's America. Don't like it, don't buy it. Enough people don't and they'll be forced to change.

You beat me to it.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

$50 for what is essentially unlimited everything. We now have actual competition, both through new carriers and with multiple carriers selling the iPhone, which has resulted in some what lower in market plans and far superior retentions plans. Hopefully, having Verizon and AT&T go at it for the iPhone business will spur them to start trying to retain existing customers. If T-Mobile and Sprint were to start carrying it, I think you would finally see some real value being offered.

Sprint could easily offer the new CDMA-based iPhone and, if I were Dan Hesse, I'd be begging to get it at the next revision. Unfortunately, I think two other factors will determine when Spring gets the iPhone: production capacity and Apple prioritizing China and India in order to build more Apple mindshare in those countries.

Not sure when Apple would decide to deal with T-Mobile's oddball frequency band.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Sprint could easily offer the new CDMA-based iPhone and, if I were Dan Hesse, I'd be begging to get it at the next revision. Unfortunately, I think two other factors will determine when Spring gets the iPhone: production capacity and Apple prioritizing China and India in order to build more Apple mindshare in those countries.

Not sure when Apple would decide to deal with T-Mobile's oddball frequency band.

Plus if Sprint gets is, even they are not so desperate so give you the same subsidy that ATT and Verizon get. That's the thing about profit - it's hard to convince a company to do something for you if you don't let them make one.

The iPhone costs $600 for the basic version. If you expect Sprint to give it to you for $200, then you are going to have to figure out how they make up the $400 that they just gave you, PLUS the cost of delivering services. If it cost $400 up front to get the same rates Sprint normally gives, would you still be happy?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

There are certainly people with more money than sense out there. I certainly won't pay $60 more/month for that privilege.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Plus if Sprint gets is, even they are not so desperate so give you the same subsidy that ATT and Verizon get. That's the thing about profit - it's hard to convince a company to do something for you if you don't let them make one.

The iPhone costs $600 for the basic version. If you expect Sprint to give it to you for $200, then you are going to have to figure out how they make up the $400 that they just gave you, PLUS the cost of delivering services. If it cost $400 up front to get the same rates Sprint normally gives, would you still be happy?

Do you really think that if Sprint gets the iPhone that they will charge more for it than the other carriers?

Customer:"Hmm I can get the iPhone from AT&T or Verizon for $200, but it costs me $300 for Sprint. F that!"

Sprint is competitive on phone costs, so I don't see this as a remote concern.