AT&T quietly offers unlimited data to potential Verizon iPhone switchers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yes. Calling AT&T to enable this feature will end the grandfathered unlimited. I started to go down the automated version on the attwireless.com account setup and saw that it required a change to my data plan. I smartly halted and phoned in the question.

I hear that the "Tethering" menu is removed in 4.3 replaced by the term Hotspot. The above applies to Hotspot feature as well.

I wonder if the 4.3 hotspot feature works if you have AT&T tethering enabled!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If it was sold unlocked, I wouldn't need a data plan at all. Perfect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

2GB for $20 Unlimited for $30 would compete real well. I can't wait til these two need to need to compete with each other, maybe not today, but if the iPhone is sold unlocked, I think the gloves would come off

• Reply 23 of 33
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If I recall, if you upgraded the phone early the plan was changed to tiered. For those people, this would be a good way change back.

I do not think that is necessarily smarter. Verizon's has made it clear that it will be doing away with the unlimited plans. AT&T wouldn't look great if it announced a competing unlimited plan, just to end it soon thereafter.

[/B]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

This strikes me as a very weak response from ATT. Many (if not most) of the customers who downgraded to a tiered plan did so because they were not using much data and preferred to save the money. Why would these people - assuming their data use is about the same - now sign onto a higher-priced plan. Sure, offer it up for retention but do more.

A much more reasonable response from ATT would be to offer new subscribers the unlimited plan - just as Verizon is doing.

• Reply 24 of 33
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder if the 4.3 hotspot feature works if you have AT&T tethering enabled!

Reckon so.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I got switched to the new plan automatically when I tried tethering in October. I figured it wasn't worth asking to be reverted; with this news, I called in and got my unlimited data back.

Caveats: No going back a second time, so if I tether and get auto-switched, that's it. Ditto if I choose a cheaper data plan.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I do not think that is necessarily smarter. Verizon's has made it clear that it will be doing away with the unlimited plans. AT&T wouldn't look great if it announced a competing unlimited plan, just to end it soon thereafter.

To me, it'd be no different than two markets putting Welch's grape juice on sale during the same week.

It might smack of a bit of desperation but ATT will need to do what it can to counter the Verizon offer even if only temporarily.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Does enabling internet tethering on the iPhone also take away the unlimited plan if you happened to have it?

And why the extra monthly fee for enabling internet tethering even on a capped data plan?

Yes - AFAIK, choose tethering=lose unlimited.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    AT&T just needs to remind switchers that they have simultaneous voice and data.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

AT&T just needs to remind switchers that they have simultaneous voice and data.

Oh, it will take more than that. Wait... was that sarcasm w the laughing yellow face?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

2GB for $20 Unlimited for $30 would compete real well. I can't wait til these two need to need to compete with each other, maybe not today, but if the iPhone is sold unlocked, I think the gloves would come off

I'm not sure how selling the iPhone unlocked would help in the AT&T vs. Verizon battle. A GSM iPhone won't work on a CDMA network and vice versa.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I would say face to face based on my experience. Right before the iPhone 4 launch I went to the ATT store. I said I was not happy with ATT reception as the area I live in is horrible.

My contract was up and I was free to go to Verizon and used that. Now I wasn't planing on switching as I love my iPhone 3GS at the time but they did not know that. So I asked if I bought 2 iPhone 4s would they give the microcell 3 g at no cost. I found out that ATT was giving away the microcell free to loyal ATT customers, but you had to receive a letter If you did not you could not get one I used that as well when i talked to the manager and it worked the manager said yes. I was like wow. Then decided to push the envelope a little further. I wanted to get unlimited data for my wife. I had an old iPhone but my wife did not. I had also the very first iPhone at home collecting dust. I asked if they could switch my wife to the first gen iPhone and to give her the unlimited data as I had a previous iPhone that had unlimited data. They went ahead and did it for me. Hopefully this helps if anyone wants better reception or trying to get the unlimited data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

YO BABY

we need a thread for best iphone deals

best approach to make the deal, face to face, manager, online rep ??????

also, can you get the deal for the plan THEN work best deal for the iphone itself????

someone told me its better to go online and talk the deal with a rep rather than face to face at att store

as i have said many times its the plan its the plan

if walmart on vz network can offer unlimited text, voice, data no fees $45

then vz and att can do 50-55, less than 60 month unlimited data and as a bonus 10 tethering or throw it in

what would make me happy: 1500 texts, unlimited data, 500 600 shared minutes tethering=<60/ month upgradable to iphone 5 this summer

my 3g is burning a hole in my otterbox cant wait till feb 9 (att sweats the day before) or wait a few days

lets get a best deal thread

• Reply 32 of 33
    Our wifi is out at home and I was 22mb from my cap with 2 days left in the billing period. I called to verify all this and just to say I think 2gb, for me, is not enough. I think I told her 3gb would be much better allowing me to stream a couple of tv shows without stressing.

I didn't threaten to leave though. I find that kind of posturing annoying. I thought it though. Here in Denver reception is fine, as good as or better than T-Mobile. But the 2gb cap is really frustrating. I came to ATT the day the iPhone 4 was released so I have some time on my contract and was waiting to see what happens when the iPhone 5 is released. If Verison was still offering the unlimited plan I would consider, having the cash, dropping ATT and going to Verizon.

Oh yeah, I was on the phone with the ATT rep in a Home Depot parking lot. After we hung up, with her offering me unlimited data, I held up the iPhone and shouted "I LOVE COMPETITION!!!!". Not quiet at the top of my lungs but loud enough a couple people looked. Then I proceeded to gush about the positive aspects of competition in capitalism on both Twitter and Facebook hoping that this trend carries over to Comcast here in Denver.

tl;dr- I have no problem with ATT save for 2gb data cap. They hooked me up with unlimited. I swooned.

Thanks,

Dean
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Hi, I am in my first no-contract month and I went to the MyWireless App on my AT&T iPhone and it says I have unlimited data.