Motorola outlook sinks on threat of Verizon iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

I think I remembered a few years back where Apple's iTunes music were first to work on one and only one Moto's phone (couldn't remember which model) but it didn't went well. The synergy between Apple and Moto didn't sync well apart from iTunes and Moto's phone. So if M thinks they will marry well enough with G then they are in for a tough ride. . . .time will tell.

Screw that. Does anyone remember the whole AIM alliance and how much a failure that was?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Who cares, there are millions of people that love their blackberry's and BBM, Motorola will be just fine.

Sounds exactly like a reading of MOT's board meeting minutes.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That said, I fully expect Android?s numbers to keep increasing faster than Apple?s. Verizon is a big carrier but when we consider the number of carriers, subscribers and handsets running Android around the world at much lower prices it seems impossible to imagine Apple could sell more units than all units shipping with Android.

"In three years, maybe less, Android will be way bigger than us. And we?ll have the better business.

Peace."

Fake Steve Jobs (08/03/2010)
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Double post.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Puts me in mind of Horace Dediu's article about Android, money and the incumbents.

He argues that Google has in effect made a bet with the very handset manufacturers most financially squeezed by changes in the industry (Motorola, LG, Sony Ericcson, Samsung) and so may see Android hamstrung by hardware partners who only adopted the OS in the first place because they were clutching at straws. As he says:

Of course for the time being you can apparently make Android buyers salivate by simply putting the latest parts in Yet Another Android Phone, possibly bumping up the screen size slightly.

But that only takes you so far. Motorola managed to get a few (barely) profitable quarters out of their Android phones, if they go back to losing money how likely is it that they're going to have the wherewithal to even design, much less manufacture and market, a genuinely desirable phone?

And if they can't even get the ad exposure from Verizon, how are they going to sell another Droid?

I suspect that what's going to happen is that HTC is going to become the defacto name brand Android hardware manufacture, and pretty much everyone else (excepting maybe Samsung, but then they're insane so who knows?) dropping out with the bulk of the sales going to carrier branded free or BOGO phones.

That snippet is gold - shall read the full link later. I imagine Android will end up being the next Symbian if things continue going the way they are now. The iPhone can have the premium segment. Not sure how this affects HP and Microsoft's efforts though. I'm not so sure we will end up with only two dominant mobile operating systems.