Apple investigating hover gestures as multi-touch alternative

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As far as I know, all capacitive screens won't work through gloves, not just Apple's.

How's the snow in NY? There are a couple of iPhone gloves that apparently work with Apple touch screens just fine. I wouldn't know in Socal, nice 75 degrees. ahhhh.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=iphone+gloves
  • Reply 22 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Apple have no intention of building these things - that isn't why modern tech companies file patents.

The only reason why Apple have patented this is so that they have a little bit more leverage against other companies in future legal battles over IP.

Patents are bankable currency in today's world. The more you have, the safer you are and the more weight you can throw around. Without a large patent portfolio you don't have a prayer of bringing a tech product to market because any and every device that is manufactured violates half a dozen obscure patents than nobody has ever heard of, and the companies that own those patents are just waiting in the wings to pounce if your product hits the big time.

The only way Apple can protect themselves is having enough useful IP in the form of patents to buy, bargain or countersue their way out of trouble when it arrives.

You won't see any patent filings for the stuff that Apple's really working on because they don't want to give the game away before they're ready to ship it. Do you remember seeing any Apple patents for "ultra-thin computer without optical drive" or "touchscreen smartphone without keyboard"? No.

Of course they patent things they're working on. They can't patent a thinner computer. Why patent an entire phone, when you can patent the technologies it uses? That would also limit where the patent applies.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The idea is a "flipped over" version of Microsoft's Surface. Remember, they use cameras below the touch surface .

Not any more.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How's the snow in NY? There are a couple of iPhone gloves that apparently work with Apple touch screens just fine. I wouldn't know in Socal, nice 75 degrees. ahhhh.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=iphone+gloves

Snow? Is that what you call that stuff? We had over a foot. But drifting on our side of the block was at about two feet. That adds to the five inches the other day. Good thing we don't get much snow in NYC.\
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Not any more.

I hadn't heard... What do they use now?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hadn't heard... What do they use now?

They call it Pixel Sense. It's really a big advance. The kind of thing Apple should have had out. This is serious stuff. The first gen. was interesting, but not very practical, but this is. It's expensive, $7,000+, but that's 50% cheaper than the old, bulky system. It will get cheaper over time, and we have to remember that this is a pretty big device!

I think they'll sell a lot of these.

http://indepthwithtech.com/2011/01/0...-at-ces-video/
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

They call it Pixel Sense. It's really a big advance. The kind of thing Apple should have had out. This is serious stuff. The first gen. was interesting, but not very practical, but this is. It's expensive, $7,000+, but that's 50% cheaper than the old, bulky system. It will get cheaper over time, and we have to remember that this is a pretty big device!

I think they'll sell a lot of these.

http://indepthwithtech.com/2011/01/0...-at-ces-video/

It looks like it has been improved, but I still see very limited use for this. Because of it's lack of portability, unlike the iPad, it restricts the number of instances it could be used. They may yet find a niche market for it, but I see that being very small going forward. Portable is the new paradigm and iPhone and iPad will continue to be the trendsetters. If I saw real potential, I'd say so.