Verizon BlackBerry glitch casts doubt on iPhone launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjy56 View Post

I haven't been able to receive e-mail or access the internet on my Verizon Blackberry since Saturday afternoon. It's now Wednesday. I don't consider the "small" problem resolved at all.

One of the few customers...

I've been receiving some emails up to 15 hours late recently. Most have been on time to a couple hours late, though. And I'm most definitely not in SoCal, either. Whether it's RIM's issue or VZW's issue, I don't know and apparently AI doesn't either (though they thought it was *newsworthy* enough to write an article).
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Blackberry is Blackberry. I havent gotten all of my facebook notifications in over a month or so. Some come in, some don't. E-mail is fine, though, and has been. I haven't experienced an outage. I think it has more to do with the Blackberry server than it does the network.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    But... but... Verizon is great and AT&T sucks, right? What am I to believe now? AppleInsider, you toy with my allegiances...!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

3,000 new workers? That seems excessive.

What if it isn't excessive? If 1 million new customers show up the first week, that's a lot of potential signup issues, and after signup, 1% make a support call in the first week, that's 10,000 support calls, and those numbers may turn out to be very conservative. Switching devices and carriers is probably the single most disruptive part of owning a phone, and it may require some help.

It's probably a good investment given how Verizon might not want to have their collective foot in their mouth after mocking AT&T's iPhone signup issues. I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Verizon is totally going to be eating crow on the day of the iPhone pre-order. And then again on the day of the iPhone launch. You heard it here first. Verizon sucks, and they are not even close to being prepared for this event. I mean, let's be honest here -- their website went down on the day that they ANNOUNCED the iPhone, and that was just an ANNOUNCEMENT. What a joke!

Well in VZ's defense, their websites aren't connected in any way to their cell network. However I do agree that they should leave the smack talking until after the launch. Their boastful comments could come back to haunt them. No matter how prepared they think they are, simulated tests aren't the same as millions of iPhones hitting their network.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I wonder if Verizon is more comfortable with its network handling the new Iphone surge is. Because it has been updating it cell sites to handle LTE. But right now it has a small window in the upgrading process, as there very few LTE's on the system yet?

I being a Verizon guy all the way back to the Airtouch days. I tried At&t but they are only edge network where I live. I think that At&t IS better in many ways. One is if I'm in a building, the GSMs have done a better job in my circles. I hate to hear Verizon say that it will not fail. I hope that they are right. But sounds like famous last words to me. I think that they ARE going to have troubles and people are ready (and wanting) to pounce.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

Someone is really reaching for a story here.

Agreed. This article is absolute FUD.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Verizon is pretty bold for saying they're not going to have any network problems. iPhone users are notorious data hogs, myself included. I can just see the news coverage now.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

NO, but somewhat paranoid.

That's what they want him to think....
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

This might seem a little far fetched but roll with me for a minute. I've been a Verizon Blackberry customer for the past two years, A Crapberry Storm owner to be exact. Even though I have had it up to here with my phone and can't wait to get the iPhone, what I can say is that my phone's reception and internet has had zero problem's for the last two years that I've had it. I.... But ever since the first day that Verizon's LTE service went live, I rarely ever have full bars on my phone anymore, ... I haven't heard of any Android owners complaining of these issues. Could it be that Verizon is kinda purposely screwing with blackberry customers' connections just a tiny bit to get them to give up the platform on their network and buy an iPhone??? Not enough to have them leave Verizon period, but just enough to make them think it's the phone and not the network....it sounds like Verizon is kinda fed up with RIM not bringing anything of value to the table. And to add fuel to that, out the the entire line of new Blackberries that have been revealed in the last two weeks, not one of them announced was a CDMA version, they were all GSM.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Am I crazy?

When I read the article, this is what I was thinking too, lol. I don't think you are crazy or paranoid...just upgrade your phone, and be happy.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    I love AI, but this article is really reaching...

1) All internet browsing on Blackberry devices goes through the RIM data centers and through the specialized RIM equipment connected into VZ's network. Considering only blackberry phones are affected, clearly this is a RIM <--> VZW equipment or connection problem and wouldn't affect iPhones.

2) If the idea was to show that every cellular company (including Verizon and AT&) experiences small outages and network difficulties from time to time, I don't think that is news to anyone.

The problem with AT&T and the reason they catch so much flack is because their network has been totally maxed out in many urban areas (which is probably at least partially a problem with the limits of available WCDMA/UMTS bandwidth which they can't do anything about, although it seems they are limited by backhaul and tower volume in many areas --- LTE should help a lot with this), and they don't have 3G coverage in many rural and suburban areas compared to Verizon.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I am not suggesting that Verizon will have any problems during the iPhone launch but, for my own experience running my own businesses, it is always better to under-promise and over-deliver.