Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Comments

• Reply 81 of 302
    Being that this is taking place in Cali, he will more than likely win. California is on a mission to eliminate all possible self responsibility. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault.
  • Reply 82 of 302
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with these folks. I'm getting ready to file a class action lawsuit against Ford, as the Focus just crumpled when I hit a tree - by accident of course.

In any case, I'm asking Ford to replace my focus with a Mercedes as it supposedly is better in high speed crashes, and damn it, I'm worth it.

And rumor has it, if I'm successful, the folks from some damn Green group, want Ford to replace the tree I hit, and ALL other trees every hit by Fords, and any other cars Ford has anything to do with.

Damn it - I've had enough. When I dropped my Gold Fish bowl leaving the Pet Store, they said "Sucks being you", next time you'll hold on to it better - won't you.

I'm sure suing Apple is much easier then dealing with his daughter, who I'm sure was just beside herself after dropping daddy's F%$#^king iPhone.

I guess I'm wondering how long after purchasing a smart phone, before the manufacture is not responsible for an ACCIDENT.

One man's 3 feet is another man's 6 feet.

S
  • Reply 83 of 302
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

As an American, I totally agree with your first sentence. Civil litigation has been the name of the game for lawyers trying to pay back their student loans for years.

However, and this observation is subject to scrutiny, the old lady in the McD case actually was quite badly scalded when the lid of her coffee popped open at the drivethru window. It turns out that McD pinches every penny and in this case, passes steam & water (over 212°) through coffee grounds since it is well known that the hotter the water & vapor, the less coffee is needed to get roughly the same case. That coffee was not what you get from a coffee urn at Denny's (or at home) and she deserved something more than a simply "sorry 'bout that, lady" from the drivethru drone.

I still dont know what a dosh is.

Do you?
  • Reply 84 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delany View Post

Is suing Apple the right answer? Maybe not. But until someone in the US does something about silly advertising claims, what else can people do.

They have. Ever see all the 6pt disclaimers at the bottom of the screen of drugs (and other things that aren't moron-proof)? I actually go in the opposite direction and think that all that warning stuff is a bunch of BS. We are human beings - intelligent reasoning human beings. We do not need to blame everyone else for our own carelessness and stupidity. And why is this suit-mania only in the US? Are we less intelligent than citizens of other countries? (please don't come across with a catty answer; you know what I mean!)
  • Reply 85 of 302

deleted

• Reply 86 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.

you are right. america is a land of spoiled, never my fault, whining, lazy, i know better than you, liars, cheats and frauds. well, not everyone here, but a lot of us!

i am guilty of a few of those things from time to time too....
  • Reply 87 of 302
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    I think Apple already covered themselves on this issue. Steve Jobs said "You're holding it wrong."
  • Reply 88 of 302
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

They have. Ever see all the 6pt disclaimers at the bottom of the screen of drugs (and other things that aren't moron-proof)? I actually go in the opposite direction and think that all that warning stuff is a bunch of BS. We are human beings - intelligent reasoning human beings. We do not need to blame everyone else for our own carelessness and stupidity. And why is this suit-mania only in the US? Are we less intelligent than citizens of other countries? (please don't come across with a catty answer; you know what I mean!)

Because the laws here allow such silliness and the cost is not too high. If we had a "loser pays" system in the US, you would not likely see this kind of suit.

We need some serious tort reform in this country.
  • Reply 89 of 302
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.

The woman won her suit because it was prove that they were making their coffee way hot and it was hazardous.

In this case, the guy's claim is bobo because dropping the phone is NOT 'normal usage'
  • Reply 90 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I still dont know what a dosh is.

Do you?

Just in case you' re serious.

Dosh is money.
  • Reply 91 of 302
    Quote:

I'I would say that warnings on drugs of all products are unquestionably a good thing. How on earth is the average person able to tell without a warning that the drug intended to cure their overactive bladder will also cause them to bleed from the anus and loose their sense of smell? I say put those warnings in a larger font!

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from in terms of your views on government - but a huge quantity of products produced in our advanced tech age require some sort of regulation in production and advertising if we are going to live safely. With common items like consumer electronics, drugs, genetically modified food etc it is not a question of 'common sense'. They require huge amounts of knowledge and understanding to know what the full effects can be.

Without regulation about what they can produce and what they can say about their products, companies would be quite happy do whatever was most profitable ... and nobody without a complete set of Phds would be able to tell why their head had swelled up to five times its normal size or their cat exploded.
  • Reply 92 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

What a retard! I can't believe America is no.1 economy while it looks dumbies like this guy are multiplying here.

My house window glass broke after my neighbour's kid accidently kicked the ball in it. I am gonna class action sue window maker because when I had the old window it did not break after I kicked the ball few yeara ago.

What a moron, OMG.

Believe it or not America does not have a corner on the moron market.

There are plenty of morons all over the world.

We just have a surplus of lawyers trying to make money by using the morons....

Ummm... About that market cornering thingy... I guess I take it back.
  • Reply 93 of 302
    this sounds like the person that called 911 when mcdonalds had no mcnuggets to give to her
  • Reply 94 of 302
    Christ. I assume he didn't even try to let Apple help him out. They certainly consider replacing after accidents like this.
  • Reply 95 of 302
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I'm amazed at the lack of fair-mindendness in the comments on this. Of course we should all accept responsibility for our actions but this isn't what this plaintiff is arguing against. He is saying that the iPhone 4, in not withstanding a perfectly ordinary drop from 3 feet, is not fit for purpose. He is saying that the claims Apple have made about the durability of the glass used are misleading.

Why did Apple mention the hardness etc. of the glass? Because it left an impression to consumers that this was a device less likely to break if dropped, something people have always criticised iPhones for. I smashed the screen of my iPhone 3G in a freak accident (it also dropped just 3 feet onto concrete, I swear it took 30 seconds to fall, at least in my mind ). I continued to use the phone for the rest of its life-cycle as its functionality was not impaired but when I took it to the Apple Store to see what my options were they said my huge, eye-watering, crack down the centre of the screen was 'nothing'. They said they were usually much worse! They dealt with smashed screens daily. I am not a moron as so many have claimed one must be to drop something. I am one of millions of users worldwide who take my iPhone out of my carpeted home each day and expose it to the real world. Accidents happen.

By mentioning the newer, harder glass used in the iPhone 4 Apple implied this was a more durable phone, and it is quite clear that this is not the case. I LOVE my iPhone 4, I am more than prepared to look after it rather than have it made out of some garish plastic, but Apple shouldn't have tried to give the impression this was a tougher phone when it simply is not. As much as I love it, I certainly don't feel it could take the punishment my iPhone 3G could have; absolutely not.

This gentleman is angry that his phone smashed so easily, and I can see why it has upset him. A phone is an everyday use item and as such should be able to withstand reasonable knocks, like a child dropping it. This is not unusual in law. Apple love to sell their products as family-friendly. Passing his iPhone to his young daughter is something right out of a FaceTime commercial; he shouldn't have to feel nervous when he does it.

If I buy a car and the brakes fail if I go over a speed bump below the speed limit, that car isn't fit for purpose. I should slow right down for speed bumps and take extra care, but that's not the point. The point is the car should be able to take reasonable punishment that might very well come its way without catastrophic failure. It's my fault I wasn't cautious, but the car should take it as long as I don't make a habit of it and I am obeying the speed limit.

If this guy had dropped his iPhone off a ski lift and it had smashed, I don't think he'd be suing Apple.
  • Reply 96 of 302
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, the capuccinos and espressos served in McDonalds (in the newer McDs that serve them) are surprisingly good.

Better than the bitter nonsense you get at Starbucks, as far as my palate is concerned.

Well, Starbucks does have pretty much the worst coffee anyway, roasted to charcoal, but they made their fortune selling heavily sweetened, coffee-flavored milk drinks.
  • Reply 97 of 302
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

"20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic," and is "ultradurable" having been made from the same material as the "glass used in helicopters and high-speed trains."

If Apple actually claims this, then they are in trouble.

They do and they are not..If you drop a helicopter on concrete, the glass will break too. People drop and shatter plastic phone cases every day of the week.
  • Reply 98 of 302
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

this sounds like the person that called 911 when mcdonalds had no mcnuggets to give to her

I have to think the bigger moron is the cop that calls 911 on himself.
  • Reply 99 of 302
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I'm amazed at the lack of fair-mindendness in the comments on this. Of course we should all accept responsibility for our actions but this isn't what this plaintiff is arguing against. He is saying that the iPhone 4, in not withstanding a perfectly ordinary drop from 3 feet, is not fit for purpose. He is saying that the claims Apple have made about the durability of the glass used are misleading.

Why did Apple mention the hardness etc. of the glass? Because it left an impression to consumers that this was a device less likely to break if dropped, something people have always criticised iPhones for. I smashed the screen of my iPhone 3G in a freak accident (it also dropped just 3 feet onto concrete, I swear it took 30 seconds to fall, at least in my mind ). I continued to use the phone for the rest of its life-cycle as its functionality was not impaired but when I took it to the Apple Store to see what my options were they said my huge, eye-watering, crack down the centre of the screen was 'nothing'. They said they were usually much worse! They dealt with smashed screens daily. I am not a moron as so many have claimed one must be to drop something. I am one of millions of users worldwide who take my iPhone out of my carpeted home each day and expose it to the real world. Accidents happen.

By mentioning the newer, harder glass used in the iPhone 4 Apple implied this was a more durable phone, and it is quite clear that this is not the case. I LOVE my iPhone 4, I am more than prepared to look after it rather than have it made out of some garish plastic, but Apple shouldn't have tried to give the impression this was a tougher phone when it simply is not. As much as I love it, I certainly don't feel it could take the punishment my iPhone 3G could have; absolutely not.

This gentleman is angry that his phone smashed so easily, and I can see why it has upset him. A phone is an everyday use item and as such should be able to withstand reasonable knocks, like a child dropping it. This is not unusual in law. Apple love to sell their products as family-friendly. Passing his iPhone to his young daughter is something right out of a FaceTime commercial; he shouldn't have to feel nervous when he does it.

If I buy a car and the brakes fail if I go over a speed bump below the speed limit, that car isn't fit for purpose. I should slow right down for speed bumps and take extra care, but that's not the point. The point is the car should be able to take reasonable punishment that might very well come its way without catastrophic failure. It's my fault I wasn't cautious, but the car should take it as long as I don't make a habit of it and I am obeying the speed limit.

If this guy had dropped his iPhone off a ski lift and it had smashed, I don't think he'd be suing Apple.

Actually you are making a lot of assumptions based on the words of a nut job out to make a buck. You say it is "quite clear" it is not more durable than the screen on the iPhone 3. Clear to who? Not to me, or any other reasonable person on the planet.

What is reasonable? What did she drop it on? How was it dropped? Was it thrown at the ground? I dropped a plastic blackberry on concrete from 4 feet and the case cracked and I never imagined suing anyone. Is 4 feet too high and 3 feet to low? Does he have any non conflicted witnesses to the "accident"?
  • Reply 100 of 302
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

I dropped my iPhone and it I was annoyed, but with myself.

It is glass, it is fragile.

LOL you muppets. Apple told us all it's super strong nearly indestructible. It's the same glass used in the windshield of military helicopters.

Either Apple is bullshitting about the type of glass used or their phone design is defective because his type of glass can can withstand impact severity far exceeding anything any consumer is able to expose the phone to.