Source: SD Card slot on Apple's next-gen iPad just a rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Apple were never going to give away an SD card slot when they can charge much more for built-in storage.

More interested in where are the Sandy Bridge Macs... Previously we've had Intel announce new chips and Apple launch at the same time. It has been ages now!

The primary purpose of an SD card slot was not to add to machine storage but to provide an easy way to grab image files from a non-pro camera. (Most pro cameras use Compact Flash, although some have both CF and SD.)
  • Reply 22 of 75
    very unlikely apple would add an sd card slot, then they won't be able to control sales of their higher flash size ipads, who would buy an 128 gb top of the line ipad, if you can stick an sd card to the lowest gb ipad for extra storage. Unless they cripple it to only photos say.

And also how do you manage storage from an external sd card with no visible files system so to speak of, how do you manage an sd card slot without a finder? They could always make an app to access it and have anything there open up in it's respective app when touched...but that's a very un-apple way of doing things.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Doesn't make sense to me. That slot looks too big for a micro sim. I don't see them switching to a regular sim card slot.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    I do not believe we will see an SD card on the iPad or iPhone anytime in the future.

it breaks the 'use' model of the device class. The iPad/iPhone are consumption devices.

MacBooks, iMacs, Pros are content creation.

Photo card goes in PC, gets edited/touched up. Photos go onto consumpiton devices.

iOS, as it stands now, doesn't support a file system. An SD card would be only useful for transferring photo's to the iPad. Apple already offers the rather ugly camera kit, which gives the niche people USB and SD card access to the iPad, without those who don't want it bearing the incremental additonal cost.

So, nope, no SD card. High res display, not until the price point comes down. Cortex 9 or dual core Cortex 9, more likely. More Ram, likely.higher storage densities, more likely. Facetime camera, a virtual certainty. A rear camera... maybe. Larger Battery? Possibly.

What do people think about a bluetooth sharing between iDevices? To tranfer pictures from iPhone to iPad?
  • Reply 25 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    However I do wonder where alll the rumors have gone that are Mac related. There has been nothing of late. At least nothing based on leaks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Apple were never going to give away an SD card slot when they can charge much more for built-in storage.

More interested in where are the Sandy Bridge Macs... Previously we've had Intel announce new chips and Apple launch at the same time. It has been ages now!

• Reply 26 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Apple expected to take the wraps off its second-generation iPad in the next few months, talk has focused largely around the potential hardware enhancements to the tablet device, including rumors of an SD Card slot that AppleInsider sources now suggest is unlikely to materialize.

Its exciting with new 'graphics'...

But really? The rumor that the rumor is unlikely to materialize is

News?
  • Reply 27 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope the next iPad lets me connect to BES via Blackberries.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

very unlikely apple would add an sd card slot, then they won't be able to control sales of their higher flash size ipads, who would buy an 128 gb top of the line ipad, if you can stick an sd card to the lowest gb ipad for extra storage. Unless they cripple it to only photos say.

The above is the most asinine view I've yet to read with respect to SD flash storage. Having an SD slot would have zero impact on high end sales.

Quote:

And also how do you manage storage from an external sd card with no visible files system so to speak of, how do you manage an sd card slot without a finder?

1. The same way they do with the camera connection kit!

2. Update the OS to allow apps to access the SD just like they do their local storage.

Quote:

They could always make an app to access it and have anything there open up in it's respective app when touched...but that's a very un-apple way of doing things.

If they support camera connection kit functionality that would be enough for most users. It is certainly a need I have. However you seem to believe it is impossible for Apple to update the SDK in a way that allows for Apple like access. This is silky as they could easily do so as it is a software issue.

Your first mistake is making the assumption that this sort of feature would be used as an expansion of a devices internal flash storage. That really isn't the function of flash SD cards. For one they are to slow. For another the common use case is file transfer. In the end I just don't think you understand SD cards and the reasons why people would want the cards in the machines.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    How many folks do you know that bought iPhone 4 just for FaceTime?

Apple would not build any iPad without a FaceTime camera.

Personally, I don't need a rear facing one, I actually own cameras with great lenses -- and an iPhone for snapshots.

SD I would like -- Front facing camera means that I'll buy the new iPad!
  • Reply 30 of 75
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Apple is too big now to listen to what people want. They will tell us what we want.

It started with killing ADB, then floppies, then the 'happy Mac' logo, cd drive... Steve Jobs has gone mad with power... maaaaad
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Apple is too big now to listen to what people want. They will tell us what we want.

They've ALWAYS done that.

Quote:

It started with killing ADB, then floppies, then the 'happy Mac' logo, cd drive... Steve Jobs has gone mad with power... maaaaad

If you replace the tin-foil hat with tellurium you'll get better reception.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I do not believe we will see an SD card on the iPad or iPhone anytime in the future.

Why bring iPhone into this discussion.

Quote:

it breaks the 'use' model of the device class. The iPad/iPhone are consumption devices.

Garbage! You pull a SD card from your camera an put it in an iPad you are consuming that content. That is one, the second item is this: if this was the use case Apple was after why do a camera connection kit at all. More so why would they support the importation of those photos with their own software.

Quote:

MacBooks, iMacs, Pros are content creation.

Yep and so is a camera. Do you see where your reasoning is trashed here?

Quote:

Photo card goes in PC, gets edited/touched up. Photos go onto consumpiton devices.

Or photo card goes into an iPad while out in the field so that work can be reviewed and backed up! You don't need to even bother with editing for the iPad to be very useful to a photographer outside of a studio. IPad with a high resolution screen would be even better.

As to photo editing that like would not even come into the equation until iPad 2. IPad currently doesn't have the ram for anything but trivial editing.

Quote:

iOS, as it stands now, doesn't support a file system.

Sure it does. How do you think that all of these features get supported in the first place. The file system is not exposed to the user via a separate file system browser but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Quote:

An SD card would be only useful for transferring photo's to the iPad. Apple already offers the rather ugly camera kit, which gives the niche people USB and SD card access to the iPad, without those who don't want it bearing the incremental additonal cost.

The incremental cost is trivial. Besides as you point out the camera connection kit is ugly and expensive.

Quote:

So, nope, no SD card. High res display, not until the price point comes down. Cortex 9 or dual core Cortex 9, more likely. More Ram, likely.higher storage densities, more likely. Facetime camera, a virtual certainty. A rear camera... maybe. Larger Battery? Possibly.

I have to agree with much above other than the low priority you place on RAM and a new dual core SoC. RAM is very important because it drastically impacts what software is possible on iPad 2. A new SoC is needed because of the current iPads poor performance when CPU bound.

So while I agree an SD slot is of lower priority than many things in iPad 2, leaving it out shouldn't happen either. It would be a very useful improvement.

Quote:

What do people think about a bluetooth sharing between iDevices? To tranfer pictures from iPhone to iPad?

As far as I'm concerned Blutooth is a failure beyond headsets. Apple might be able to drive the acceptance of new Blutooth features but they seem unwilling to do so. In the end why not use something like iTunes? After all you insist that iPad is a consumption only device.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:

The new AIRs are a perfect example of Apple listening to people. Mostly the whine about AIRs original high price. Apple TV is another example. Further back in time the Mini was overhauled and improved in a way that reflected that people at Apple where readin AI. They seem to even listen about little things like the screen lock.

In the end I think you are wrong in one sense. You may be right in another in that they font listen in the traditional sense of a big corporation with focus groups and other questionable methods.

Quote:

Well except for the happy Mac logo those where smart moves.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garysturn View Post

Rumors always over exaggerate what the next update of Apple products will be and are seldom accurate. I think we will just see a slimmer lighter case with a A4 processor and 512K memory, 1 or 2 small cameras and nothing else new. All these rumors about a A5 processor, extra ports, and a retina display are just made up rumors. I would like to see them be true but it doesn't seem likely. Apple just doesn't move that fast.

The A4 is a joke as an iPad processor. For Apple to do as you suggest they might as well turn over the iPad to another company. Simply put they would go from leading the market to playing catch up.

The rumors are just that. On the otherside you have consummer expectations and the competition. Both will push Apple in the direction of a major upgrade.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't understand why you guys keep showing this case as having a hole at the top for a "mini-display port." There is less rumour (and no solid factual evidence at all), telling us that hole is for a mini-display port, than there is for the SD card slot.

This is supposedly a definitive article saying the SD slot isn't going to be happening, but yet you include this wild rumour about the mini-display port that makes no sense, has no support even in the rumour-sphere, and already has a perfectly good explanation (it's actually rumoured to be for the new ambient light sensor).

Why, why, why would they put a mini-display port, on the top of the computer when there is already a standard (at least to Apple) video-out port on the bottom of the very same computer?

The whole idea is ridiculous. Even if it's not the ambient light sensor, it's way more likely to be a micro-usb port than a mini-display port up there.

Spot on. Right up my alley.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Does anyone have an argument as to why mDP would be included and why it would be at the opposite end from where the 30-pin connector is? To me, it seems like the exact opposite Apple would do but I’m open to your ideas.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Quote:

Actually... Thankfully, Apple does not listen to what YOU want.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The incremental cost is trivial. Besides as you point out the camera connection kit is ugly and expensive.

Agreed. But Apple isn't HP. They don't throw in the kitchen sink. The card reader is a niche value add. Why would they bother?

Here are my 'expectations'

New SOC. Dual Core Cortex 9, 512 RAM, and the new SGX543 GPU [I don't think the GPU will be dual core].

Front Facing Camera.

No 16 gig model, 50/50 chance of a 128gb model.

CDMA/GSM dual mode chipset.

Possible larger Battery.

Possible Rear Camera.

No 'Retina' display this year.

No SD slot.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Agreed. But Apple isn't HP. They don't throw in the kitchen sink. The card reader is a niche value add. Why would they bother?

Here are my 'expectations'

New SOC. Dual Core Cortex 9, 512 RAM, and the new SGX543 GPU [I don't think the GPU will be dual core].

Front Facing Camera.

No 16 gig model, 50/50 chance of a 128gb model.

CDMA/GSM dual mode chipset.

Possible larger Battery.

Possible Rear Camera.

No 'Retina' display this year.

No SD slot.

I don?t the arguments that basically state, ?Apple should add it because it wouldn?t cost much.? What precendece do they have of adding such features because they are cheap? Should we expect Apple to add a 12-in-1 or 24-in-1 or 66-in-1 card reader simply because it wouldn?t cost much? How much did a floppy drive, serial port, VGA port, etc. cost when Apple chose not to add them?

I think your guess is pretty good. I do think that dual-core is more likely than you do. I also think the 16GB model will stay, but I think that a more than 64GB model could happen due to what I think is a uniquely huge market for the high end model.

I am thinking the battery capacity won?t change until they can find away to get more mAh in a smaller, lighter volume. I do think the battery duration will be better per mAh.

I think the CMDA/CDMA2000/GSM/UMTS chip is tricky. While this can surely be done in the space provided for the mini-PCIe card in the current iPad, but will it be advantageous to spend money on chips and licensing for a CDMA feature will never get used by most of the world? I am leaning toward no.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Actually... Thankfully, Apple does not listen to what YOU want.

*facepalm - the lost art of hyperbole.

Man this forum is getting dry and literal lately.