Studios shift from DVD to iTunes to distribute Oscar nominees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

It's what you'll use to upgrade your Mac to Lion from Snow Leopard. Next.

Chances are that the software will be distributed on a USB stick, like they are doing now with the new Air laptops.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

How do you strip tr movies of their drm? I'm not posting it to anything or sharing it. I just want to keep vids longer than the rental period.

I read that the files, anything, you are buying on iTunes doesn't have any DRM or copy protection. That's all done within iTunes itself. So in order to save a file longer than the rental period you need to grap the file from your NIC/WiFi _before_ it gets added to your iTunes library.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I was just kidding really. I had just inserted a movie DVD today on my MBP I have had for six months and it asked me what region I am in so obviously the first one it had been asked to play. I was checking through some old DVD-Rs I had in a draw to see what was on them at the time. It was then I realized how much DVDs are a thing of the past for me.

However, I wonder if this might not be the first new OS for Apple to offer a download version as an option? I, like many now have 30 Mb/s + d/l speed and it would not be a big deal. You are correct of course it will have to be on a DVD too.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I, like many now have 30 Mb/s + d/l speed and it would not be a big deal. You are correct of course it will have to be on a DVD too.

And you pay, what, $100 a month for that? It's a big deal. They won't have a download option for an 8GB+ OS.

3Mb/s is $35 for us. It's complete nonsense.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And you pay, what, $100 a month for that? It's a big deal. They won't have a download option for an 8GB+ OS.

I pay $50 for 10 Mb/s (actually only get 8 based on speedtest) with a 60 Gb monthly limit. Now Rogers is starting to charge for going over the monthly limit, which of course happens every month. Not to change the subject, but I would be interested in knowing what other people's actual speed is compared to what the service is rated at.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:

Damn, I pay $30/month for 16Mbit/s. $35 for 3Mb's is ridiculous.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Don't want to watch it on a laptop? Fine. Get a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter. Surely MPAA members can swing that.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Illegal distribution of movies is seen as a problem that costs studios billions. Since 2006, DVD sales have slid from $20.6 billion to just $14 billion last year. Most of that loss is blamed on video recordings of movies, but early films distributed to award voters is also recognized to be a major problem.

I'm sure some of it could be attributed to pirated copies but I suspect more of it is a result of people buying fewer DVDs & instead streaming more content on hulu or netflix. A lot of people probably do netflix or redbox & then rip stuff to their computer so in that regard I guess a lot of it does go to that type of piracy. If the studios would get over themselves & start offering more HD content for purchase straight from iTunes or other online services then they'd probably see a decrease in piracy. They like the physical sale of discs because they can charge a premium on top of the production costs too so they make money 2 ways.

I don't agree with piracy at all but I'm not crying for these bafoons. Start churning out better movies & I might start believing they are worth 20 - 30 bucks a pop. For me I'm patient enough to wait for them to hit the $5 movie rack at walmart.

PS. these people should clarify that they don't loose any money, they just take it away from other people & do things like move production to China (which probably accounts for a lot of the piracy!). Most businesses lose money like that & we'd say they need to change the way they do business, these guys loose money & suddenly it's everyone else's fault.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Damn, I pay $30/month for 16Mbit/s. $35 for 3Mb's is ridiculous.

Where do you live?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aiolos

****, I pay $30/month for 16Mbit/s. $35 for 3Mb's is ridiculous.

Quote:

Where do you live?

I want to know too!! My ISP is killing me, they are raising my rates like 3x cost of living!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

If you have Snow Leopard up to date it will have the App Store app in the doc. Won't they distribute the upgrade to Lion that way? Those who don't have Snow Leopard may need a DVD though.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

It's a FiOS package that includes phone and HD TV for a little more than that ... but it is the future I'm sure and once we get 100 Mb/s it will be a standard way to get even an OS. BTW I pay for 25/25 but tests consistently show 30+ on the download side.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If you have Snow Leopard up to date it will have the App Store app in the doc. Won't they distribute the upgrade to Lion that way?

Absolutely not. You can't install an OS from the hard drive on which it's being installed. Not everyone will have Snow Leopard OR the Mac App Store, even if they are fully up to date.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Absolutely not. You can't install an OS from the hard drive on which it's being installed. Not everyone will have Snow Leopard OR the Mac App Store, even if they are fully up to date.

so how do they do these whole hog os updatres over teh internet... you are wrong
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

so how do they do these whole hog os updatres over teh internet... you are wrong

Ah, which is why Apple has always given 10.x updates as downloads.

10.x.x updates never change the entire OS.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Ah, which is why Apple has always given 10.x updates as downloads.

10.x.x updates never change the entire OS.

apple has done quite a few huge os updates by down load. Some have included changes to the underlying os and firmware.

The computer goes into its install mode and does its work, restarts (sometimes twice for firmware) then goes on.

other than size/bandwidth issues, I see no reason they wont offer os updates as downloads.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

I see no reason they wont offer os updates as downloads.

It would take many users an entire day to download, taking up all of their bandwidth as it does so. Apple blatantly states they want to be noninvasive in their video tutorials.

There will come a day when this can happen. For now, the sneakernet is still faster.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

It would take many users an entire day to download, taking up all of their bandwidth as it does so. Apple blatantly states they want to be noninvasive in their video tutorials.

There will come a day when this can happen. For now, the sneakernet is still faster.

for some it would. I watch many HD movies on apple tv. takes about 45 min for 2.5-3gb download. still easier for me and many others with broadband than the sneaker method.
  • Reply 39 of 42

As others here noticed ...

"Illegal distribution of movies is seen as a problem that costs studios billions. Since 2006, DVD sales have slid from $20.6 billion to just $14 billion last year. Most of that loss is blamed on video recordings of movies ..."

Maybe, but Probably Not

Argument could be made that for 10 years or so, EVERYONE was buying DVDs to replace their VHS Tapes.

Once that was done ?

Thank You Movie Folks - now what's this BluRay Stuff ?

You expect us to re-tool, again, so soon ?

(and ditto with 10 years earlier as Music moved from Vinyl to Tape to CD)

Ignorant Greedy Basterds want 100% of 'nothing' instead of being happy with 50% of 'something'

AronJ - you're correct in your 'Business 101' Observation

Just because they did not 'make' that money, does not mean it was 'lost'

Well, at least according to Old School Economics

These days, no telling

Not with all the Smoke/Mirrors, Accounting Gymnastics, and Paper Profits

(see Enron - Poster Child of Reaganomics and Rising Tides - Microsoft could be next)

Much/Most of the USA's 'Prosperity' in last 50 years is just 'Vaporware'

Also, as Tallest Skil points out ...

"We don't talk about anything that can be used for piracy here."

Yes, correct-o-mundo

Just the MENTION of the "p" word could cause MPAA or RIAA to "flag you for observation"

D'oh - too late now

• Reply 40 of 42
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    A major challenge for the film industry is that people are generally willing to pay for content but they are not always willing to wait until some arbitrary, "official release date" in their region. Region locking feels very unfair in what has become a global village.