Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicipad View Post

...be a 4G device (probably HSPA+ on AT&T and LTE on Verizon...

So how will it make calls on Verizon? LTE is data only.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Well, the ETF isn't a bad deal. I always hear the common gripe about signing 2-year contracts, but they are far the best deal. I shake my head when I see someone paying full retail price to avoid a contract. The point is-- no matter what, one has to pay for monthly service regardless whether contract or no commitment (month to month).

AT&T iPhone = $600 no contract /$200 contact. EFT= $325 & decreases $10 each month in contract. So, after 12 months, ETF is $205. Total cost to cancel after a year would be $405, almost $200 cheaper than without a contract.

Similarly, Verizon iPhone= $650 / $200 2yr / $350 ETF.

And the deal can even get better.... AT&T offers me a upgrade after 1 year in conjunction with resigning another 2yr. Thus, I have been able to get new iPhone every year, as I have had all 4. I know friends that have sold their 1 year old iPhones for $300, buying new for $200, netting $100 extra. Without a contract, the last 3 iPhones would have cost $1800 total, whereby a 2-year contract $600 total. I guess the bottom line is that you have to pay for monthly service no matter what for the phone to be of any use, and a two agreement offers significant discounts. If one has a change of heart, the most it will cost is 325, least 85, and considering the resale value of the iPhone, it may actually not result in any monetary loss to switch providers.

Funny how AT&T's smartphone ETF is called insanely high yet V's is higher.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Like many others, I have been waiting for years for this. But I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. I know the i4 will run on the Verizon 3G network, but will the upcoming i5 run on the 4G? That would be worth waiting for, would it not?

2. If I get an i4 now, when the i5 comes out, can I get one of those for someone who is on my Verizon family plan and is eligible for a new phone, and then trade phones with them, and get Verizon to swap phone numbers?

The Verizon i4 timing is a little weird; seems like it would have made more sense for the Apple and V to wait until the i5 was ready.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

Like many others, I have been waiting for years for this. But I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. I know the i4 will run on the Verizon 3G network, but will the upcoming i5 run on the 4G? That would be worth waiting for, would it not?

2. If I get an i4 now, when the i5 comes out, can I get one of those for someone who is on my Verizon family plan and is eligible for a new phone, and then trade phones with them, and get Verizon to swap phone numbers?

The Verizon i4 timing is a little weird; seems like it would have made more sense for the Apple and V to wait until the i5 was ready.

Welcome to the forum. I don?t expect an iPhone with LTE to arrive until at least Summer 2012.

I don?t there was a single smartphone sporting LTE that was even close to the iPhone?s size. Companies either tried to impress with a huge phone sporting LTE or a super-small phone besting the iPhone 4 as the world?s smallest/thinnest. I didn?t see any that tried to do both.

They we have to consider Apple?s desire for a good battery and LTE being less built out this year than AT&T?s ?3G? when Apple introduced the original iPhone with no ?3G?.

Then there is the timing. The reason is so Apple can capitalize on sales of this new product (from and engineering PoV). This post-holiday release is exactly what was expected for a Verizon iPhone. They need to slowly build up supply, while trying to keep a handle on demand. They just can?t do that when trying to release an iPhone 5 GSM for the world while also trying to accommodate all of Verizon?s consumer interest. It would be a nightmare in more ways than one which makes me wonder if the Verizon iPhone 5 will be released along with the AT&T iPhone 5 for this first year.

Also note that demand for the iPhone doesn?t sharply drop off after its release. In fact, for the iPhone 3GS the demand increased in later quarters. I fully expect the Verizon iPhone to sell more than AT&T?s customers bought last Summer.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast they?ll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?

* I can?t imagine they won?t sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

1. A server meltdown is most likely to happen.

2. They will reach the limit of their preorders in one day or two.

Mah predikshions
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1. A server meltdown is most likely to happen.

2. They will reach the limit of their preorders in one day or two.

Mah predikshions

1) I predict a slowdown, but I don?t expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&T?s pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of ?reliability? even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PGSeattle View Post

Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.

ROFLing here
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?

Of course not All animations and videos on Apple.com have been Flash-free for at least a few years now.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

1) I predict a slowdown, but I don?t expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&T?s pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of ?reliability? even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.

I think AT&T screwed up every launch since the first gen iPhone. As far as selling your iPhone to cover ETF, this website was paying $410 for a like new iPhone 4.

http://www.gazelle.com/
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

1) I predict a slowdown, but I don’t expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&T’s pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of “reliability” even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

Yeah, come to think of it, forget what I said about two days. I'd give it at least 12 hours though. Because of server issues muah ah ah aha ha... (yeah, I'm evil. We should spare a thought for the poor system admins that have to sit through this. They're probably dreading the whole event. Plus they have to work through the night).

I know Verizon is trying to spread the load by starting in the wee hours of the morning but that's a hell of a lot of resources to be put into doing things through the night, essentially, and the whole day.

Well, best of luck to everyone.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I think AT&T screwed up every launch since the first gen iPhone. As far as selling your iPhone to cover ETF, this website was paying $410 for a like new iPhone 4.

http://www.gazelle.com/

Ooh, that?s $50 more than Verizon?s highest value.

I don?t know if we can say AT&T screwed it up just yet. We can certainly say they were overwhelmed with each new iPhone release, but to say they screwed it up might be like saying Indonesia screwed up in 2006 by not planning for a tsunami of that magnitude. Sometimes, there is never enough you can feasibly do to prepare yourself.

We?ll likely see February 3rd and 10th if Verizon will have any issues. If they do, despite their assurances then perhaps we can see that such rushes are not easily avoided. If they do meet or exceed AT&T?s volume without incident then, and only then, will be I feel we can reasonable say ?AT&T screwed up?.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

Ooh, that?s $50 more than Verizon?s highest value.

I don?t know if we can say AT&T screwed it up just yet. We can certainly say they were overwhelmed with each new iPhone release, but to say they screwed it up might be like saying Indonesia screwed up in 2006 by not planning for a tsunami of that magnitude. Sometimes, there is never enough you can feasibly do to prepare yourself.

We?ll likely see February 3rd and 10th if Verizon will have any issues. If they do, despite their assurances then perhaps we can see that such rushes are not easily avoided. If they do meet or exceed AT&T?s volume without incident then, and only then, will be I feel we can reasonable say ?AT&T screwed up?.

You may be right. It would be kind of funny if Verizon's systems crash with all of the demand........ well, it will be funny AFTER I get my order in.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah, come to think of it, forget what I said about two days. I'd give it at least 12 hours though. Because of server issues muah ah ah aha ha... (yeah, I'm evil. We should spare a thought for the poor system admins that have to sit through this. They're probably dreading the whole event. Plus they have to work through the night).

I know Verizon is trying to spread the load by starting in the wee hours of the morning but that's a hell of a lot of resources to be put into doing things through the night, essentially, and the whole day.

Well, best of luck to everyone.

Didn?t AT&T also start their pre-orders in the middle of the night last year, yet still had trouble only a few minutes in causing them to not sell out until the following day do these transaction server issues? That?s how I remember it.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    The reason why it they are doing it at 2am my time is because they are scared of the traffic that could happen at 10am.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I might go for a Verizon iPhone 6. I think their voice quality is a lot better than AT&T. I am not like some others here that hate AT&T, I just don't like it when people say "What did you say I couldn't hear you?" I don't really get any dropped calls just poor voice quality. I think I can give up some data speed and simultaneous V & D for better voice quality.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Didn't we determine that AT&T was using some decades old servers to process the orders? I think it was Netscape Enterprise Server based on the error messages received when it went down. Hopefully Verizon is using something newer.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

What was the previous bid Bob....? 6 hours.

I'll bid...6 hours and one minute.

Wish me luck in the showcase showdown.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

What was the previous bid Bob....? 6 hours.

I'll bid...6 hours and one minute.

Wish me luck in the showcase showdown.

Might I lower the bid by a WHOLE 2 hours, instead of penny pinching, to 4 hours? LOL
  • Reply 39 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

..* I can?t imagine they won?t sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

Those same folks not wanting one in the middle of the cycle are those same folks that would never buy anything unless it came with a matte-screen, blu-ray, 10TB ram, coffee-making machine.

Millions of people will still be buying iPhones regardless. Now, they have Verizon to include into that mix. The more tech-affluent folks may not buy one since they read all the news, but the joe-consumer will not care.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Might I lower the bid by a WHOLE 2 hours, instead of penny pinching, to 4 hours? LOL

Looks like I'm last to bid. I'll go with one minute Bob...I mean Drew.