Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 275
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Well done Apple.

Why should Apple allow competition on the iPhone, iPod, and iPads that it MAKES.

A lot of blood sweat and tears (not the song) went into these wonderful devices.

Did the competition do the same, hell NO, they just copied, and very badly.

Then they hate on Apple, try and destroy it, and then cry like little mumma's boys when Apple fights back. Apple wants you as a user and customer to buy books through iBooks, what is wrong with that, tell me ? Why should it allow Amazon and Sony free rein, no way Jose.

,I for one, will only use Apple stuff and their App store, never the competition, more of you so called Apple fans (I doubt if you really are), should do the same.

• Reply 42 of 275
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think Apple is going to introduce a new pricing model when they release The Daily tomorrow. I don't see the 30% cut for subscriptions continuing.
  • Reply 43 of 275
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple is going to introduce a new pricing model when they release The Daily tomorrow. I don't see the 30% cut for subscriptions continuing.

Probably - at the moment though they are rejecting applications with content bought outside the app. If that continues it will be the end of the iPad platform.

I can only assume they are not that stupid - although rejecting applications for this reason is itself likely to backfire. They could have been held In Review until tomorrow, and then rejected when the new policy was announced, and told to update to new API.
  • Reply 44 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

And why is related to the article?
  • Reply 45 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Why should Apple allow Sony's app if it allows someone to buy content direct from Sony's store without Apple being paid anything?

Apple was paid something -- they were paid when the user purchased the iDevice. Why does Apple deserve a cut of every other financial transaction made with the device? If I use an iPad's browser to pay my credit card bill, should Apple get a cut?

Stop being such a blind fanboy. Apple is way out of line on this one.
  • Reply 46 of 275
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Well done Apple.

Why should Apple allow competition on the iPhone, iPod, and iPads that it MAKES.

A lot of blood sweat and tears (not the song) went into these wonderful devices.

Did the competition do the same, hell NO, they just copied, and very badly.

Then they hate on Apple, try and destroy it, and then cry like little mumma's boys when Apple fights back. Apple wants you as a user and customer to buy books through iBooks, what is wrong with that, tell me ? Why should it allow Amazon and Sony free rein, no way Jose.

,I for one, will only use Apple stuff and their App store, never the competition, more of you so called Apple fans (I doubt if you really are), should do the same.

Should I laugh or cry?

Apple got their reward when I bought the damn thing.
  • Reply 47 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Clearly the article passed you by.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/te...pple.html?_r=2

The company has told some applications developers, including Sony, that they can no longer sell content, like e-books, within their apps, or let customers have access to purchases they have made outside the App Store.

The article is haphazard.

Here are the first few paragraphs in full.
    Quote:

The company has told some applications developers, including Sony, that they can no longer sell content, like e-books, within their apps, or let customers have access to purchases they have made outside the App Store.

Apple rejected Sony?s iPhone application, which would have let people buy and read e-books bought from the Sony Reader Store.

Apple told Sony that from now on, all in-app purchases would have to go through Apple, said Steve Haber, president of Sony?s digital reading division.

So is this about in-app purchases having to go through Apple?s in-app system or that no app can allow access to other files, which would mean that, CineXPlayer, Dropbox and many other apps would not be allowed to be used at all since they all access data either a LAN/WAN or through syncing via iTunes.

You don?t think that is fishy?

Quote:

Thats true of what I am seeing.

I?m seeing Kindle, Dropbox, CineXPlayer and other apps still working the same? I?m seeing the file access in iTunes still allowing me to important media files I didn?t buy from Apple?s iTunes Store. So what are you seeing besides this fishy article from NYT that appears to confuse different methods of importing data?

Are you certain that Sony tried to do an in-app purchase that didn?t go through Apple, and not the out-of-app purchase that Kindle does by calling the inconveniently accessed Safari app?
  • Reply 48 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here are the first few paragraphs in full.

So is this about in-app purchases having to go through Apple?s in-app system or that no app can allow access to other files, which would mean that, CineXPlayer, Dropbox and many other apps would not be allowed to be used at all since they all access data either a LAN/WAN or through syncing via iTunes.

You don?t think that is fishy?

But looking at Sony Reader screenshots and the way it works on Android, it open a web browser to buy items, it's not in app.
  • Reply 49 of 275
    Quote:

Are you certain that Sony tried to do an in-app purchase that didn’t go through Apple, and not the out-of-app purchase that Kindle does by calling the inconveniently accessed Safari app?

I dont know what Sony tried to do. I know what the company I am associated tried to do. Its basically a player of digital content, not a buyer. There is no attempt to buy within the app, nor direct outside the app. The app was rejected on the basis of 11.2. because a website is used to buy the original content.

it is in appeal.

(
  • Reply 50 of 275
    All these cockblocking by Apple is getting annoying. For what? Just so they can milk every dollar they can?
  • Reply 51 of 275
    I am extremely unhappy about this move by Apple. As an avid reader, I currently shop around for purchases through iBook, Kindle, B&N, Chapters Indigo and Borders. I want to be able to shop at Sony too and all on my iPad. Apple has made the iPad a book readers conversion "hub". Do not screw it up now!
  • Reply 52 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

But looking at Sony Reader screenshots and the way it works on Android, it open a web browser to buy items, it's not in app.

To be clear, you mean it opens the OSes default browser app, not accesses the browser API that is available to all apps which would then keep it ?in-app??
  • Reply 53 of 275
    Quote:

To be clear, you mean it opens the OSes default browser app, not accesses the browser API that is available to all apps which would then keep it ?in-app??

On Android open the default browser

Here there are the iPhone screenshots

http://ebookstore.sony.com/rme/
  • Reply 54 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Apple wouldnt put their stores on another platform. Can you imagine itunes on android? The problem here is that apple are more closed that communist russia and we all know what happened to them.

It is Android fanboys who are communist that expect everything is free. How can Sony or Amazon make money from them?
  • Reply 55 of 275
    I love Apple products, but this concerns me. Cutting off access to the Kindle App means I might be compelled to get a different device. If that happens, I'll be looking at the color Nook.
  • Reply 56 of 275
    Quote:

On Android open the default browser

Here there are the iPhone screenshots

http://ebookstore.sony.com/rme/

Some of that looks like the webstore is contained within the app. That would be a normal violation. However if Sony could work around that ( i.e. by going to an external link) they would just re-submit and shut up.
  • Reply 57 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

How can Sony or Amazon make money from them?

Ein? The same way they're making money from Apple?
  • Reply 58 of 275
    I should say here that we are in still in appeal. Until the SOny announcement I had assumed an over-active tester was misreading 11.2.
  • Reply 59 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Some of that looks like the webstore is contained within the app. That would be a normal violation. However if Sony could work around that ( i.e. by going to an external link) they would just re-submit and shut up.

browser control has bookmark and tab buttons?
  • Reply 60 of 275
    Quote:

browser control has bookmark and tab buttons?

Oh, you are correct. i saw that as their own tabs. TOuche.

Yep. Smoking gun.