Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon

Comments

• Reply 161 of 275
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No. I mean does the Android OS has in-app purchasing?

The OS no, but applications can implement on their way. Kindle app has integrated store to purchase books
  • Reply 162 of 275
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Looking over this thread, I've come to the conclusion that tech blog participants are like little girls screaming on a chair at the sight of a mouse.

Nothing in the story confirms any potential restrictions on Amazon or Kindle books. That's pure speculation on the author's part, and its simply amplified in the comments by the 'Apple is Evil' crowd.
  • Reply 163 of 275
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Looking over this thread, I've come to the conclusion that tech blog participants are like little girls screaming on a chair at the sight of a mouse.

Nothing in the story confirms any potential restrictions on Amazon or Kindle books. That's pure speculation on the author's part, and its simply amplified in the comments by the 'Apple is Evil' crowd.

The screaming is from the Apple defenders.

Nothing in this thread proves the opposite despite the over-eager defence of Apple.

to believe the opposite we would need to believe that Sony doesnt understand in-app purchasing, and cant redirect a link to an external website.
  • Reply 164 of 275
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

The OS no,

That's what I thought. You can't compare Android app to iOS app even though it appear to be the same app. Android app is second-rate anyway. heh heh (just joking)

Everything point to it's just a matter of Sony paying Apple to have in-app purchasing, or follow Amazon way by re-direct customers.

Btw, when Android has in-app purchasing, that Amazon integrated store will be gone. Will you up-in-arm about it then?
  • Reply 165 of 275
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    None of this should is new. The Times got it wrong. Apple allows apps to use content purchased elsewhere, they just don't allow apps to have in-app purchases that don't go through Apple - it's always been this way. All Sony has to do is place a link to Safari and they'll be all set. This is why the Kindle app is still there.

Funny how the fodder of the anti-Apple trolls is always misinformation.
  • Reply 166 of 275
    Quote:

Everything point to it's just a matter of Sony paying Apple to have in-app purchasing, or follow Amazon way by re-direct customers.

Points to it for you.

Quote:

Btw, when Android has in-app purchasing, that Amazon integrated store will be gone. Will you up-in-arm about it then?

1. I doubt that it will be gone

2. If it's gone I will complain, I won't try to defend the company that makes this
  • Reply 167 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

They're always clutching at straws.
  • Reply 168 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

No really. Content will be where consumers are willing to spend money. So far, Android customers have not shown willingness to spend. So Content providers will indeed put up with Apple's 30% demand to stay in App Store.

As for your ridiculus comment about not wanting to pay Apple 30% for doing things with devices you already paid for, why are you paying cable/satellite/Netflix etc. to watch programs on that TV you already paid for? Why are you paying ATT/Verizon/Sprint/Tmobile/others to use that Phone you already paid for? Why are you buying gas to use that car you already paid for?

This is a poor analogy. Cable, Satellite, and Netflix are content providers, you are paying them for the content they deliver to the device that you have already paid for. This is more like the company that made your television asking for a 30% cut from your cable company or Netflix for the privilege of delivering content to your television even though you bought it outright and the content delivery happens without any involvement from the TV manufacturer.
  • Reply 169 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

None of this should is new. The Times got it wrong. Apple allows apps to use content purchased elsewhere, they just don't allow apps to have in-app purchases that don't go through Apple - it's always been this way. All Sony has to do is place a link to Safari and they'll be all set. This is why the Kindle app is still there.

Nope.

Apple have changed their policy on 11.2

If it were that simple Sony would re-submit and there would be no story.
  • Reply 170 of 275
    Quote:

They're always clutching at straws.

The straw cluctching is going the other way.

I have used nothing else but Apple stuff for a decade.
  • Reply 171 of 275
    Quote:

1. I doubt that it will be gone

Don't bet anything on it.

Quote:

2. If it's gone I will complain, I won't try to defend the company that makes this

If Apple is really stupid then I wont' even defend it. I'll cancel every products from them I planned to buy.
  • Reply 172 of 275
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nope.

Apple have changed their policy on 11.2

If it were that simple Sony would re-submit and there would be no story.

You haven't supplied any evidence of that. Nothing in the story indicates that this is anything other than a misunderstanding by the reporter.
  • Reply 173 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docyoast View Post

This really p*sses me off; I thought the App Store was a means to sell more hardware.

Apple, don't be evil.

Ease off. No one has provided proof of this ban. It is possible that the Sony app was rejected because of some security requirement required to use your own system. Apple would want to avoid bad PR due to some other group getting hacked and users of the app that Apple approved being victims (even though it wouldn't really be Apple's fault it would get spun to include them).

Regardless this is some 'sources say' report, not an actual quote from the developers agreement and could just be totally off.
  • Reply 174 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkwilson68 View Post

Apple, seriously, this is a step too far. Stop app developers from *linking out* to the internet to purchase things?

No Apple does not prevent linking out to Safari purchase things (that's the way Kindle works).

The Sony reader however most likely doesn't drop you out, from what I understand it uses an in-app browser (unlike Kindle).
  • Reply 175 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

The Sony reader however most likely doesn't drop you out, from what I understand it uses an in-app browser (unlike Kindle).

App screnshoot show that it uses Safari
  • Reply 176 of 275
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

No, what he is saying is that you own the store and you give a competing store space inside your doors. You have an Ace Hardware and you allow the proprietor of Hank's Harware down the street to put up a display of hammers right inside your tool department. Someone grabs one of his hammers instead of yours, purchases it at your till, and you don't get a cut.

Hank might have rented the display and display space (the app), but he can't reasonably expect to never pay a cut to the store owner.

Or, it's a bit like you setting up a Coca Cola stand for an event, getting the whole setup with soda fountain and tanks and hoses and illuminated signs and cups and whole nine yards, but then stocking it with your own syrup. Coca Cola allows you to use all their stuff to make money selling concessions, but expects to make money on the syrup in every drink you sell. The user license would not allow you to put Pepsi Cola syrup in the drinks.

Sony has content in iTunes: music and movies. If Sony wants to use Apples smooth system for delivery (native apps and in-app purchasing), then Apple expects Sony to link to that content and not directly to Sony's own store. If Sony wants to avoid selling their media through iTunes, then it can forego using the nice system Apple developed for it's developers and users.

Anyway, that would be the thinking, I suppose. Sounds like a pretty normal and reasonable business expectation to me.

If you read the NYTimes article it says in app and OUT OF app purchases. Also the screen shot of the app shows what looks to be safari for purchasing.

In your thinking should AT&T get a cut of every purchase? Or if I am on wifi shouldn't comcast get a cut? I mean the data is going over its network, they deserver their share.

Your argument is bull. That would mean Microsoft should get a cut of any software I install on windows.
  • Reply 177 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

If you read the NYTimes article it says in app and OUT OF app purchases.

If you have in-app purchasing that bypass Apple system then it will be rejected, period. "Out of" is irrelevant and is just speculated at the moment. There is no concrete evidence pointing this is one of the problem.
  • Reply 178 of 275
    Right now this is of concern but of no reason to panic. If they start pulling already approved apps like kindle, nook, or google books, then it will be time to chastise them.
  • Reply 179 of 275
    Quote:

If you have in-app purchasing that bypass Apple system then it will be rejected. It's that simple. "Out of" is irrelevant and is just speculated at the moment. There is no concrete evidence pointing this is one of the problem.

Except a screenshot of the Sony E-Reader with the store being visible in safari.
  • Reply 180 of 275
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Well done Apple.

Why should Apple allow competition on the iPhone, iPod, and iPads that it MAKES.

A lot of blood sweat and tears (not the song) went into these wonderful devices.

Did the competition do the same, hell NO, they just copied, and very badly.

Then they hate on Apple, try and destroy it, and then cry like little mumma's boys when Apple fights back. Apple wants you as a user and customer to buy books through iBooks, what is wrong with that, tell me ? Why should it allow Amazon and Sony free rein, no way Jose.

,I for one, will only use Apple stuff and their App store, never the competition, more of you so called Apple fans (I doubt if you really are), should do the same.

In times past, people could visit a circus and peruse the freak show with frightened wonder and voyeuristic horror.

These days you can just visit AI and observe the round the twist, barking mad, crazy as a coot, hairy palmed loons dance and cavort with froth and spittle flying in all directions as they voice their rapture at the news the company that has already fleeced them for the their overpriced toys, is further seeking to line it's pockets at their inevitable expense, while simultaneously restricting their free choice in what they can do with the toys they already bought.

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, the next show is about to commence.