Apple releases third beta of iOS 4.3 for iPhone, iPad to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released the third pre-release beta of iOS 4.3, its forthcoming software update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, to developers, marking the third release in as many weeks.

The third beta of iOS 4.3 is called 8F5166b, and it comes just weeks after the first beta of the update was released. Details about what may be included or have been changed in the software update are forthcoming.

The first beta of iOS 4.3 was released on Jan. 12, revealing the new Personal Hotspot feature that will allow an iPhone to share its 3G Internet connection with up to five devices over Wi-Fi, if a carrier allows. The new software also allows third-party applications to use AirPlay for streaming video, as well as a software option to change the iPad hardware switch between mute and orientation lock.

The second iOS 4.3 beta was issued on Jan. 19, when Apple also revealed that new iPad multi-touch gestures were just a preview of a forthcoming feature to "gather input." The Cupertino, Calif., company said that the feature, which include four-finger gestures to switch between multitasking applications or return to the home screen, will not be enabled in the final release for customers.

The new beta comes a day before Apple and News Corporation are set to launch The Daily, a new tablet-only daily newspaper. The publication is expected to cost 99 cents per week, and could debut alongside an update to iOS that would allow recurring application subscriptions through the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Apparently you can cancel App Store downloads.
  • Reply 2 of 9

"The first beta of iOS 4.3 was released on Jan. 12, revealing the new Personal Hotspot feature that will allow an iPhone to share its 3G Internet connection with up to five devices over Wi-Fi, if a carrier allows".

Lets see what ATT does with this personal hotspot. Great news for iPhone owners who also have the WIFI only iPad. This could be the deal breaker for me on ATT.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Lets see what ATT does with this personal hotspot. Great news for iPhone owners who also have the WIFI only iPad. This could be the deal breaker for me on ATT.

$20 on top of your current data plan, limited to the bandwidth of the existing data plan.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    roxyroxy Posts: 6member
    and galaxy is still using Froyo, LOL
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I know it's a little change but I've noticed that when you group e-mails to 'delete' them. It now says 'Archive' instead of delete. Same goes for when you're in a mail message - you get the 'archive' logo instead of the 'delete' bin.

Skype still doesn't work on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3 B3 though.

Cheers

Colin
  • Reply 6 of 9
    This iOS stuff is great, I wish VLC on OSX could do Airplay.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinshedden View Post

I know it's a little change but I've noticed that when you group e-mails to 'delete' them. It now says 'Archive' instead of delete. Same goes for when you're in a mail message - you get the 'archive' logo instead of the 'delete' bin.

Skype still doesn't work on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3 B3 though.

Cheers

Colin

That's how it was in 4.2. You change that in Settings.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$20 on top of your current data plan, limited to the bandwidth of the existing data plan.

Yeah AT&T needs to charge $20 for 2GB the same as Verizon. I would love to be able to add that on to my $30 unlimited plan on my 4.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Any list of new features in 4.3?