AT&T to expand tethering data cap to 4GB for $45 per month

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I won't give up my $30 unlimited plan but

$30 Unlimited plan + $15 for tethering/hotspot hmmm

from what it looks like you can only do tethering if you have the $20 datapro plan.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

So Att wants $20 to enable wifi hot spots on its phones (probably the first phone mentioned is android based) when $30 from the good old days was unlimited for the phone? I guess now if you tether now you just use the wifi hot spot feature.

And it has been almost 2 years since they promised tethering for iphones to computers and they still haven't enabled it? Now this?

Sad.

It has been enabled for like a year...You seem rather confused...
  • Reply 23 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I won't give up my $30 unlimited plan but

$30 Unlimited plan + $15 for tethering/hotspot hmmm

This is the one reason I would go to Verizon. Unlimited data for the phone + capped tethering is fine. Why AT&T makes me give up my unlimited data to get tethering is beyond me..
  • Reply 24 of 40
    As much as I can understand why carriers would want you to pay extra for tethering if they offer you a really unlimited data plan, I find it absolutely outrageous that they make you pay for the data twice like AT&T did. I wouldn't be surprised if this newfound extra bonus bandwidth that comes with the tethering option wasn't to thwart class action lawsuits.

Meanwhile, I'm OK with my grandfathered "unlimited" 5GB at $30 (another rip-off and class action waiting to happen, can you say deceptive advertising?) and jailbroken iPhone 4 with MyWi. Screw AT&T. They're getting enough money from me already!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    As usual, AT&T looks to cheat its customers. How many times are they going to try to sell a customer THE SAME DATA !
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It has been enabled for like a year...You seem rather confused...

Ok found that they did it when they changed the data plans originally. Still lame.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    I have a Palm Pixi Plus and I pay $29 for unlimited data and FREE wifi hotspot capability for up to 5 devices. I had an iPhone with ATT but had to switch to Verizon September of last year. Have to admit that the WebOS isn't half bad and I'm liking the small, lightweight size of the phone. Doesn't have nearly the apps, but the free hotspot is a much better trade off for when I meet with a client or travel.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Well I have the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan, but I travel enough with my macbook air and ipad that I really do want this feature.

So...even though I am going from $30 unlimited to $45 for 4 gig with tethering...it's not a problem if I don't need more that 4 gig a month.

That is a lot of data isn't it?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Ingenious people who refuse to be extorted are pirates.

Think Different - but only if it doesn't hurt the bottom line... then we prefer you don't think at all.

Lots of love

- Corporate America

xo

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

As usual, AT&T looks to cheat its customers. How many times are they going to try to sell a customer THE SAME DATA !

How so?

I see $40 for 4gb of data and $5 for tethering. The rest is just complaining just to complain.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Well, to be fair, you're at least getting double the bandwidth, which they arguably should have done from the beginning. Paying extra and not getting extra data was a dumb decision on their part. It jives with Verizon's hotspot features which runs $20 for 2gb, however AT&T's overage cost is far less than Verizon's at only $10 per GB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Well I have the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan, but I travel enough with my macbook air and ipad that I really do want this feature.

So...even though I am going from $30 unlimited to $45 for 4 gig with tethering...it's not a problem if I don't need more that 4 gig a month.

That is a lot of data isn't it?

Best way to find out if 4 gigs will be enough for you is to head over to AT&T's website and check out your data trends. In almost 3 years of owning a smartphone I've never gone above 3gb in a single month (average around 1.5), and that's when I'm purposefully trying to use it up. I don't watch a lot of video on 3G save for youtube, but I do occassionally stream live radio from TWiT and Pandora.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

I have a Palm Pixi Plus

I think you're the only one.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Too much free WiFi in the world for me to care.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    How about roll over GB? When I had a 3G card in my notebook I generally used only a few hundred MBs per month - but when traveling for work it was more like 2GB on average with an occasional 5GB month.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

Ahh yes - the ol' bend-over and take it like a man argument.

Nothing like stripping people of rights - then trying to sell them back to them.

This must be the famous 'American Dream' we all hear so much about.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Nothing like stripping people of rights - then trying to sell them back to them.

Addendum: If you can't afford it, don't buy it. When enough people refuse to pay for it, they'll be forced to change.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Ahh yes - the ol' bend-over and take it like a man argument.

This must be the famous 'American Dream' we all hear so much about.

Yes, I believe the right to have goods and services sold to you at rates you find equitable is enshrined in the Constitution. It's a shame, how in the intervening years since the signing of that noble document, we have degenerated into this "charging what I think I can get" mentality. It's troubling to note that Hitler got his start running a fruit stand and demanding insane prices for the bananas. Coincidence?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    cryocryo Posts: 14member
    I'm on the 25$ data pro plan with 2 gigs of data. How exactly do I get 4?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    My understanding is that you can turn tethering on and off as needed. You'll be billed something like 80 cents per day I suppose.

My question: How do they determine how much data can be consumed per day if you only have it on for 24 hours? Does all your data consumption for that day including NON-tethered access count against the total?

Thanks...
  • Reply 40 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryo View Post

I'm on the 25$ data pro plan with 2 gigs of data. How exactly do I get 4?

By telling them you'd like to waste more money for twice the bandwidth, I'd imagine...