Next-gen iPad with front-facing camera allegedly spotted at 'The Daily' launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report claims that a prototype version of Apple's second-generation iPad with a front-facing camera was present at News Corp's press conference to launch The Daily digital newspaper on Wednesday.

Reuters reports that an eyewitness spotted "what appeared to be a working model of the next iPad with a front-facing camera at the top edge of the glass screen" at Wednesday's media event for the experimental iPad publication. Apple announced a new in-app subscription feature at the event.

"A source with knowledge of the device confirmed its existence, adding that the final release model could have other features," the report noted, adding that News Corp and Apple declined to comment.

Though Apple's iTunes chief Eddy Cue and, presumably, other Apple staff were on hand at The Daily's debut, that they would bring recognizable prototypes of an unannounced product is uncharacteristic of the highly secretive company.

In the past, Apple has gone to great lengths to disguise unreleased products that are undergoing testing out in the real world. For instance, a prototype model of the iPhone 4 was discovered last year wrapped in a plastic case housing that made it look like an iPhone 3GS.

Apple's Eddy Cue, left, with News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch jointly unveil The Daily Wednesday.

However, if accurate, the report tracks with growing evidence that Apple will add cameras to the next version of its successful tablet. On Wednesday, AppleInsider discovered a new job listing from Apple seeking a digital photography expert to help "deliver great photography applications for the Mac and iPad platforms." Cameras on the iPad are expected as part of a push by Apple to promote its FaceTime video conference standard.

Rumors regarding Apple's plans for its next-generation iPad have increased as of late--a possible indication that the device's release is nearing. Recent reports suggest that overseas suppliers will begin production in February in preparation for an April launch.

One analyst reported earlier this week that Apple is focusing on reducing thickness and improving anti-reflection in the display for the iPad 2, but will keep the resolution the same. AppleInsider reported in January that Apple's next iPad could sport the upgraded SGX543 dual-core graphics processor from Imagination Technologies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is if this really happened, you never know these days.

In any event what I mean is that by definition the tablet can't have a lot of variables to adjust. One tablet pretty much looks the same as any other. The bread and butter of iPad 2 will for the most part be inside. Also at this time is there anybody left on the planet that doesn't think iPad 2 will come with a camera suitable for FaceTime?

In the end there was little risk for Apple and sights like this jumping on the rumor mill just provide Apple with free advertising and promotion. If anything this sounds more like a controlled leak carefully orchestrated by Apple.

First!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    I didn't buy the first gen iPad (waiting for this one) so the most important question for me is "when?" Tired of waiting.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims that a prototype version of Apple's second-generation iPad with a front-facing camera was present at News Corp's press conference to launch The Daily digital newspaper on Wednesday. ...

Sounds fishy to me.

This would be a big scoop, but the person who saw it wasn't asked for more detail or description? It makes me think that they saw it in a case and that it had a "spot" of some kind that looked like a camera.

It could just as easily have been the ambient light sensor that's already there on iPad 1.0 and looks a lot *like* a camera. Unless they describe the housing (the only part likely to look any different at all), I'm going to assume this is just wishful thinking.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple's iTunes chief Eddy Cue and, presumably, other Apple staff were on hand at The Daily's debut, that they would bring recognizable prototypes of an unannounced product is uncharacteristic of the highly secretive company.

In the past, Apple has gone to great lengths to disguise unreleased products that are undergoing testing out in the real world. For instance, a prototype model of the iPhone 4 was discovered last year wrapped in a plastic case housing that made it look like an iPhone 3GS.

The rumor does not track with reality - imagination gone wild maybe (see quote above). Even after the iPhone 4 was outed last year Apple was quite tight lipped and certainly did not show up at a large launch like this with the prototype models for all to see.

I suggest hip waders (and a close pin for the nose) when close to whoever is spreading this rumor.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    they're just messing with us
  • Reply 6 of 19
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

they're just messing with us

I guess they can't trust one in a bar where people are drinking and couldn't care, but they can put one in a highly anticipated event during the afternoon when everyone is paying acute attention to what's going on...

I don't buy it.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    All these rumors for a product enhancement that I can care less about.... Too bad nobody is spying an SD slot or something a little more useful....
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If the price stays the same I might buy. Don't care about camera, just want faster processors and the anti reflective screen. I don't see much face timing on the iPad or filming video, the only reason to put it in is because it will be a checklist feature on android this year.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I spotted an iPad today with three cameras..
  • Reply 10 of 19
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Was it three cameras or three each front and back?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    No wonder Gizmodo wasn't invited - they'd have stolen it and posted breakdown photos on The Daily while it was being introduced.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

All these rumors for a product enhancement that I can care less about.... Too bad nobody is spying an SD slot or something a little more useful....

Being one of the people really wanting an SD slot I have to agree. Posting about the obvious does nothing for us.

Besides all of this I'm really getting a bad vibe here, it is like they (Apple?) are using the media to distract us from what is going on with the Mac Line up. Especially the Mac Books / Pros. Unless they are farther off than expected we should be hearing about new laptops!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

• Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

It might not be so funny with all the interest in 3D these days.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok, so a SD slot (that can except any one of the most popular size cards), and camera, and this thing will clean up!

There are MILLIONS who want to use it for Facetime (use for one, and many other service folks we know). Not to mention Grandparents, parents with kid in school, folks traveling the world, businesses staying in touch, folks in trouble could get in touch with a loved one (Yes, as long as they can get a signal).

Think about it folks ? who couldn't use this toy if it had just these 2 things added. Will it, not likely But that's because they NEED to add one of these, sell MILLIONS, then add the other and SELL MILLIONS MORE. They'll get to sell millions to folks who want the camera or SD Slot, then when they announce it with the camera or SD slot, everyone, will pass their current model down to the kids, or sell on ebay / craigslist, then they and more will purchase the new model, and this will happen all over again each time they add that new feature we can't live without. That's until, they come out with something new that's even better, lighter, faster, more functional, less money, bigger drives, thinner with better battery life.

Skip
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

If the price stays the same I might buy. Don't care about camera, just want faster processors and the anti reflective screen. I don't see much face timing on the iPad or filming video, the only reason to put it in is because it will be a checklist feature on android this year.

That's not a reason Apple would ever consider. Apple delivers features with clear purpose...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Yeah. Right. And I'll bet they have their holo-deck demonstration set up in an unlocked room off of Microsoft's lobby.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Daily has great production values but it's a bit slow running. It wouldn't surprise me if it was written with the faster CPU of the iPad 2 in mind, and was quietly demo'ed on one (I wasn't there though).