Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

While I like the thought behind it, I think it's important that the front lines at Verizon (and any provider), the salespeople are users of the phone that their customers will be asking about. It's really tough to put on an act like you know a phone when you've only used it for an hour in a group of 20 other salespeople.

That's my thinking. They should have has a special allotment for Verizon employees perhaps made available on 2/9.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Reply to all the comments about people not caring about Flash - I have an Android phone with Flash. I can't begin to describe what a miserable experience it is. Slow and meaningless for interaction anyway since it's not designed for a touch screen experience. It needs the precision of a mouse not a swipe or a pinch. Fie on Flash. It's a bullet point in a brochure and no more to me.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

That's my thinking. They should have has a special allotment for Verizon employees perhaps made available on 2/9.

Not taking a stance on how Verizon employees and family should respond to this appeal by the bosses but that what training is for. How do they learn if they just got the phone themselves anyway? I'd want them to be prepared not learning from what they did on their phones the day before.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    There is so much I would love to say regarding what this release article implies versus what was really said, however, I need my job.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Of course, since we're not dealing with HP "extraordinary demand" means Verizon is planning on selling more than 2,000 units (altogether).

For a phone I hear so many people bashing when I'm out and about there certainly is a lot of demand for them ... must mean there either a lot of people out there that love a phone that is inferior, or there must be a lot of haters that refuse to live in reality.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Not taking a stance on how Verizon employees and family should respond to this appeal by the bosses but that what training is for. How do they learn if they just got the phone themselves anyway? I'd want them to be prepared not learning from what they did on their phones the day before.

I agree that training is important. However, no reasonable amount of training is going to provide the kind of familiarity that using a device will. I only said 2/9 because Apple would simply not allow more than a day - even then there would be so many unauthorized pictures and accounts it would make my head spin.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwiztdWun View Post

There is so much I would love to say regarding what this release article implies versus what was really said, however, I need my job.

Yeah? Because the article doesn't really imply anything, it just purports to be quoting directly from a copy of an email they got a hold of.

Are you saying they're misquoting the email, or that no such email was sent out?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Even thought the iPhone is pretty idiot proof,you would think Verizon would want their salesmen to have the phone as well. Idk about anyone else but I know that when i personally walk into the att store in my mall, I look at the phones that the sales reps have on their waists. Unless Verizon is going to offer a discount for employees who wait I'd say screw waiting even longer.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I'll stick my neck out and predict a lack of pent up demand... This week the media will seek ways to generate hype around the Verizon iphone while next week it quickly fades. The story will be 'the non-event'. Verizon/Apple won't disclose lackluster iphone sales for several weeks while attention is diverted toward ipad 2.

Reasons being: the iphone is not new, Verizon has successfully penetrated the smartphone market, vast majority are still on contact (on all carriers), it's the old model with iphone 4g/5 around the corner, ATT owners are being given more reasons to stay, and it's one of many choices in a single form factor.

Sure, hundreds of thousands will be sold, but this will not be a launch like we are used to seeing and it won't have any considerable effect on the current trend in market share.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah? Because the article doesn't really imply anything, it just purports to be quoting directly from a copy of an email they got a hold of.

Are you saying they're misquoting the email, or that no such email was sent out?

I am not saying the article is inaccurate. What I am saying is the email that was released.....well.....paints a friendlier version of the reality.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"we all need to do our part to meet our customers? needs -- this means putting our customers first.

?After all, that?s the way we do business. That?s the Verizon Credo in action."

I can't recall the last time I heard such BS! Well, yes, I can, but what a load of crap!

Verizon Math! 1 + 1 = 11.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    It seems that many of you have forgotten that AT&T did not allow their employees to buy an iPhone when it was first launched. It was months before they were allowed to get one, but it's not like they weren't trained on the phone. They were thoroughly prepped on the hardware they were selling, and I expect that the same will be true with Verizon.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I'm starting to get goosebumps because I feel that iPhone sales are going to be huge. Somebody pinch me. With all those Flash-playing, large-display Android smartphones available with lowered prices, there's likely to be millions of Verizon subscribers begging to get their hands on an almost year-old model iPhone. Oh, the humanity for the Android fanbois who believe that Android is taking over the world and leaving Apple in shambles. I'm so anxious to see if the iPhone won't suffer from "death grip" problems and dropped calls to prove that the iPhone wasn't really the culprit but AT&T's network was at fault.

Three million iPhones sold within the first month should be easy. Supposedly, Apple has stockpiled as many as five million Verizon iPhones upon launch. Are they really anxious they'll exceed that amount? I'm sure the Android fanbois are saying it's just more of the Apple hype machine at work. Go, Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwiztdWun View Post

I am not saying the article is inaccurate. What I am saying is the email that was released.....well.....paints a friendlier version of the reality.

Friendlier to Apple or friendlier to Verizon employees?
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I'll stick my neck out and predict a lack of pent up demand... This week the media will seek ways to generate hype around the Verizon iphone while next week it quickly fades. The story will be 'the non-event'. Verizon/Apple won't disclose lackluster iphone sales for several weeks while attention is diverted toward ipad 2.

Reasons being: the iphone is not new, Verizon has successfully penetrated the smartphone market, vast majority are still on contact (on all carriers), it's the old model with iphone 4g/5 around the corner, ATT owners are being given more reasons to stay, and it's one of many choices in a single form factor.

Sure, hundreds of thousands will be sold, but this will not be a launch like we are used to seeing and it won't have any considerable effect on the current trend in market share.

Don't stick your neck out too far or some angry iPhone-using samurai will use it for kubikiri practice. Hundreds of thousands? You've got to be kidding? There's 93 million Verizon subscribers and you think that only a few hundred thousand iPhones will be sold. Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.

I guess you wanted to say minutes.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I could be wrong, but I think fuwafuwa was trying to be sarcastic......

Yes I read it that way too.

Flash what is that ? There was once a laundry washing powder or house cleaning liquid called Flash.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Reply to all the comments about people not caring about Flash - I have an Android phone with Flash. I can't begin to describe what a miserable experience it is. Slow and meaningless for interaction anyway since it's not designed for a touch screen experience. It needs the precision of a mouse not a swipe or a pinch. Fie on Flash. It's a bullet point in a brochure and no more to me.

Yeah, but its got Flash !

Just like the Communist youth movement in USSR that would shout pro-party slogans as mindless stooges, now its the fandroids with their "Its Open" etc. It gets so tiresome hearing this non-stop, will they ever stop ?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Don't stick your neck out too far or some angry iPhone-using samurai will use it for kubikiri practice. Hundreds of thousands? You've got to be kidding? There's 93 million Verizon subscribers and you think that only a few hundred thousand iPhones will be sold. Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.

You bit and took the bait, but sometimes its okay to respond to trolls/Apple-Haters.

I will pseudo bite by responding to him/her via your comment.

They will sell millions, no doubt, why ? Because of what happen with the previous launch of the iPhone 4, easily the most beautiful phone ever made. I bought one for my wife, and l will buy one when my contract expires with my 3GS.

A one year old or even a 2 year old iPhone 4 beats the pants of any of the android crap out there.

Saw my first android phone today up close, a HTC Legend, plastic piece of crap with some Al, what a pathetic piece of garbage, I wouldn't take one even if you paid me.

The general public loves the iPhone and will swamp the sales.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Apple handled a similar situation better...when the iPad was released they allowed employees to buy them if they wanted to but - no employee discount for the first 3 months.

Employees didn't feel cheated or short changed and if they really wanted one without waiting the company treated them like any other customer...