Rumor: Apple plans to unveil second-gen iPad at iOS event next week

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Seems like abit soon for an announcement of an Ipad 2 as Apple is in the midst of the Verison Iphone launch & also some other companies tablets aren't out yet.

However Apple is know to surprise so its possible.

Actually, Apple is best-known for giving their announced products some time in the spotlight. Since they are in the middle of the Verizon iPhone launch, I suspect that there will be no iPad2 announcement before March.

Also, Apple traditionally sends out media invitations at least 7 days in advance to allow the media time to schedule their people.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    You will read another rumor tomorrow that this rumor is wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

You will read another rumor tomorrow that this rumor is wrong.

c'mon now - AI is known as the site for tomorrow's rumors today!
  • Reply 44 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Everything about this "rumor" is ridiculous.

1. iPad 2 is a main event.

2. iPad 2 will be announced no more than 2 weeks before vast availability.

3. iOS 4.3? Are you joking? There is absolutely NOTHING in 4.3 worth the media even showing up.

4. iOS 5 preview is it's own event, and is due in March, not February. This doesn't mean it can't happen in February...but it won't. Not while 4.3 is in beta. iOS 5 beta will not coexist with 4.3 beta.

So what do we have left? A rumor that tries as hard as it again, to be as wrong as possible.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr0c View Post

Given no GM has been seeded and also that Safari seems quite buggy, I can't see a release by 13th Feb, maybe late Feb :/

You obviously have difficulty reading with understanding.

The iOS event is to highlight features of the upcoming iOS 4.3

At these events Apple generally announce that the GM will be available at the end of the event and they normally announce a release window.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    The next ipad will be anounced at its own event.

The apple store will drop down before the event, and come online seconds after Steve (or Tim) finish their "one last thing" speech. The ipad2 will start shipping within 72 hrs. Just like the last ipod event.

Anything else would hurt Apple's sales, world-wide. It would be stupid. One thing Apple impresses me with is how hard they work to keep planned hardware updates secret, and that the improved versions are ready to ship when announced. Unlike some companies that almost bankrupt themselves by announcing better versions months before they are released (the "osbourne" effect).

Oh, and my prediction is that we won't see an ipad event until Sept. Ipad just rolled out in some countries overseas, and is still selling well. Why mess with it so soon?

Apple scared about motorola momentum? What momentum? The thing isn't even for sale yet. That is not momentum. Updated iOS annuncement would be the right way to counter that threat. And they definitely aren't scared of the samsung tab.

I agree with Pmz; I expect no announcement next week. I think HP will announce their new webOS tablet, and will not actually ship it for 60 days or so. Apple will counter with their iOS5.0 announcement a few days before the webOS tablet ships. Which will be in March or April.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    If Apple is going to hold an event, it will be for the iPad, not for 4.3. The iPad2 may SHIP with 4.3- which could contain some specific minor features, but I'd bet heavily against it being a key part of the event. Why?

Because iOS 5 is just around the corner. Let's look at the past 3 years:

iPhone OS SDK Preview Event, MARCH 6, 2008

OS 3.0 Preview Event, MARCH 17, 2009

OS 4.0 Preview Event, APRIL 8, 2010

We aren't far off from this years iOS 5 Preview for developers. Last year's event was pushed back, presumably because Apple was pushing the iPad out the door in late March. So it remains to be seen if that's an anomaly, and the event will be in March again, or April. Regardless, Apple is running out of time to release and ship iPad 2 with a "clear" marketing window, before it becomes the iOS/iPhone show leading up to WWDC.

Between the iPad and iPhone, I find it hard to believe there's room for ANOTHER event to refresh the Mac side of things. So either there will be a big event when they will launch iPad and Macs, OR the Mac refreshes won't have an event and will just be launch via the website. I'm not sure which of these situations I find more or less likely.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    My hypothesis is that they will release iOS 4.3 with in next two weeks and use the opportunity to preview iOS 5 and release it to developers. Then end of March will be the iPad 2 announcement with it shipping in second week of April with iOS 5, which will include the multitouch gestures eluded to in iOS 4.3.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree that Apple has to get iPad v2 in people's minds fairly quickly but I'm not sure if it has to be in February. I can almost guarantee that the Moto Xoom w/ Honeycomb will be a complete mess if they rush it out the door this month as promised.

From all the preview videos I have seen, the Xoom/Honeycomb combo is not ready for release. Unless they plan on each selection taking two+ taps to do anything. I thought it was user error at first, but even the guy guiding the demo had trouble making actions happen on demand.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    i expect iOS 5, iPhone & iPad to be announce in a single event.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i expect iOS 5, iPhone & iPad to be announce in a single event.

That would be a pretty lengthy lifetime for the iPad 1 by recent Apple Mobile standards.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Will buy if it has USB!
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Will buy if it has USB!

Already does! Go get one!

• Reply 54 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The only reason for an event next week is to clear up the confusion on IAP.

At the moment not one developer knows the rules. Talking big developers here - essential to the platform.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Steve is off for a couple of months? So my guess is they will schedule an event for when he's back late march / early April to launch. Why announce it ahead of time and scupper sales of iPad 1 in the meantime. There could still be an event for Feb to announce iWork 11, Aperture, Pro Apps, etc. Didn't Steve say there was a big revamp of Final Cut or one of the other Pro Apps coming soon? I seem to remember they did this in 2009 when Steve was last off ill.