AT&T working with Apple to enable iPhone Personal Hotspot tethering

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    I am not going to pay any more money for data. Tethering works in 4.3 beta 3. It sucks a little more battery, but a plug in the car for power, one for the wall and if you have your laptop - you shouldn't have to worry about it. It is nice to have the hotspot running in the car with a iTouch running pandora for the audio, and surfing on my iPad (I have a 3G one that I cancelled the data on for the moment) while we drive around.

The phone works no differently that it always has. I can surf on it while it provides data for the iTouch or the iPad or my laptop. I can answer the phone without a problem. I am not dropping calls as bad as I was with 4.2.1.. I think that they had something wrong with the firmware for the radio in that release.

To me, there is no difference between the phone being a hotspot and being tethered to my laptop and sharing the connection over the laptop's Airport. I haven't tried it on my windows laptop, but I would think that you could do that too. That would give you basically UNLIMITED data connections on a hotspot. I have been doing that since you could hack the phone to allow tethering...

If the release candidate comes out without the Hotspot on it, I won't be updating the phone's software. It works awesomely... and I don't want to loose it nor do I want to pay more money.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.

Amen Brotha,

It is outrageous the money an average family MUST pay just for having iphones.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Amen Brotha,

That?s sarcasm, right? If not, what requirement is there that everyone in an average family MUST have an iPhone?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Iphone personal hotspot should be FREE as a reward for customers that have endured and stayed with ATT inspite of having problems with the phone service.

ENOUGH SAID!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    So, why does Apple need a carrier's (AT&T) blessing for this? Symbian phones can do wifi hotspot for a while already. My Nexus One can do it too. All without the need to beg for permission from the carrier. This is stupid. Apple, you have softened up to the wireless cartels. You still have yet to sell an unlocked iPhone in the US. What's next, you'll allow them to control iOS updates?

Really, I think de la Vega has Steve Job's pancreas on hostage or something.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Amen Brotha,

A bit of a quibble, but...The average American family doesn't have an iPhone, or iPhones. 11 million US iPhones, 310 million people.

Sources: AdMob, US Census, DailyFinance, http://srph.it/bJM6gL

"As Smith notes, the top 20% of the American populace holds roughly 93% of the country's financial wealth, and the top 1% of the country holds approximately 43% of the money in the U.S."

I am still saving my pennies. And I'm cool with that, I'll be able compare 'Droid vs. iPhone 5 and then make the decision.