Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Were are the Android fans this morning? Show us how these numbers are wrong. Tell us again how much better Android is and how the iPhone is second rate. .......... (Silence)
  • Reply 22 of 70
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Pretty soon people will realize that there is no physical keyboard on the iPhone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours truly,

Steve Ballmer

Pretty soon people will realize that it not open and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly

Google

Pretty soon people will realize that it is not secure and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly

BB (morons)

Pretty soon people will realize that they can't root the phone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly

<...>
  • Reply 23 of 70
    And as soon as iPhone hit the floor, Android was left standing by the wall...

Now before the Androids get all lathered up and frisky, I supported Android development right up to the point they were bought out by Google. The mobile OS is fine and has nice features, but Google sold it to the handset makers and carriers - and no I'm not going to trot out my "tarted up and on the street-corner" analogy, because I've made that point already.

Google is a one-trick pony, and they are desperate. Even if ChromeOS goes live and eventually supplants Android, they are still too focussed in the search/ad model and they will fall to the next great search algorithm. There are a lot of ex-Google folks out there, including members of the original dev team - and Google is losing search integrity as more and more webdevs figure out how to game the system. This means there is a large talent pool well-equiped to challenge Google. If Andy Rubin is smart he will offer to buy-out Google's interest in Android and drive it independent - that is the only way it can remain viable in the longterm. The longer Google spends undiversified, the greater the impact of the next search engine will be - and Google will jettison all cost centers to keep viable and Android is one of them.

Funny - I haven't seen any Verizon Android ads recently - has anyone else?
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Considering how competitive Android phones have become, this is kind of weird. What's the big deal about the iPhone compared with them?
  • Reply 25 of 70
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Considering how competitive Android phones have become, this is kind of weird. What's the big deal about the iPhone compared with them?

It's been on AT&T for so long, and for my friends living close to DC or in it, they complain endlessly about AT&T, while everyone with Verizon boasts like jerks.

BUT, out here away from the city, AT&T is the best choice in terms of service strength. They just have the 2GB data cap.

It really is a great phone paired with a great network paired with hype.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    The previous first day release record was around 100,000 phones. They said they broke that record by 5 AM and continued selling through to 8PM. If they had 50,000 phones per hour in the first 2 hours, and the rate continued the same throughout the day, that's 850,000 phones.

I'd guess that's a pretty accurate number.

Oh, and this pre-release garbage wasn't a reward for existing customers. It was simply a test release so Verizon could see how their servers reacted when getting pounded with orders. They held up pretty well, but you know they are making some quick changes for the 'real' release next week.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

The previous first day release record was around 100,000 phones. They said they broke that record by 5 AM and continued selling through to 8PM. If they had 50,000 phones per hour in the first 2 hours, and the rate continued the same throughout the day, that's 850,000 phones.

Oh, and this pre-release garbage wasn't a reward for existing customers. It was simply a test release so Verizon could see how their servers reacted when getting pounded with orders. They held up pretty well, but you know they are making some quick changes for the 'real' release next week.

It would probably be more than that actually, as more people wake up and order...
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theCore View Post

How about stock implosion...For RIM. They won't release the numbers of sales because

that would allow analysts to deduce how much BB and Android sales will have fallen off.

As long as no one gets the bright idea to do an iOS spin off. Hope the Board rejects the succession plan proposal by the way.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theCore View Post

How about stock implosion...For RIM. They won't release the numbers of sales because

that would allow analysts to deduce how much BB and Android sales will have fallen off.

Actually RIM is doing well in the stock market, I heard that AT&T locked up a number of customer with new RIM products for the next 2 yrs, so as VZ was cutting their demand for other manufacturers phones and shocking up on iphone. AT&T and other carries were buying since the VZ was pissing off RIM and other manufacturers.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I got an issue yesterday with a blurb about "hot new smartphones" on the front... A quick scan showed no mention of the iPhone on Verizon. What did I expect?

To be fair it's not a hot new phone, it's a 7month old phone rehashed to work on CDMA.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

What is your reference/source for the previous first day record for Verizon? I don't remember them releasing any specific numbers. The only number here is the Droid as mentioned in the article:

Quote:

For comparison, the Motorola Droid, when it launched in 2009, was estimated to have sold 100,000 in its first weekend

and that was a weekend not one day. I think 100k to 150k preorder is reasonable. Remember that AT&T preorders were around 600k when the iPhone 4 was new device. Verizon preorder is also limited to existing customers. I think Apple and Verizon are careful here due to lack of historical iPhone sales data.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

Sounds like the Microsoft Kin launch. Oops, sorry. Sales exceeded the Kin launch in the first 2 seconds.

First two seconds? I think you mean the first person who clicked beat their sales.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Android users: your phone has arrived.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

Stock split anyone?

Perhaps Apple will do a Berkshire Hathaway and ride the stock into the tens of thousands. ( Currently ~ $124,000 ! )

It will be a statement in itself and owning 1 stock will be as much a status symbol as owning a Mac.

( Like Berkshire, they will have to make a parallel stock device at 1,000th value to give to employees ).
  • Reply 35 of 70
    In the U.S., all phones end up costing about the same, so people figure they might as well get the best.

Places like here in China, the monthly service is dirt cheap and you pay the real price for the phone, so most people opt to save money and get an Android.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Just another phone.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Just another phone.

Just more profit for Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Blah, blah, blah, iphone numbers means its best, blah, blah, McDonald's cheese burgers.

In a Homer Simpson voice...

Mmmmmm... Cheeseburgers....

I'll stay out of the numbers game, although it would have been nice if Verizon and or Apple announced, then all the speculation going on here.

But nice to hear Verizon is breaking some records. \
  • Reply 39 of 70
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    3 people in our NY office with AT&T iPhones want to switch immediatedly becuase everytime we step into an elevator the calls drop- not so for our Verizon co-workers. An AT&T iPhone simply will not maintain a call in an elevator.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I doubt there were only 100,000 pre-orders available if they went 17 hours before going out of stock. My guess would be more like 500,000.

I was thinking the same thing. 17 hours could be a cool mil even