Over 60% of Apple's first-wave iPad 2 production to be 3G models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points... But I think they will meet demand eventually. It may take awhile though.

Even though China is now the second largest economy and has been growing at ~10% a year on average for the last 30 years or so, half their population still lives in poverty. They are still building at a rate that equates to a city the size of San Francisco "every day!"

While we're all "selling insurance" to each other here in the US...they will be all assembling iPad 2's, high speed trains, stealth fighters, an aircraft carrier or two and the fastest super computer in the world!

Best

Just FYI, the USA still does have the largest manufacturing sector in the world. Don't just skim the headlines and assume that China has won already.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

I think you've nailed it on the head here... Likely, Apple is selling more 3G models than WiFi, since the majority of people looking for this kind of a device want an 'all-in-one' solution. The 3G model, with it's built-in aGPS and the possibility of using cellular data without a contract, offers just that.

I got the 3G because I knew I would need it at least a few times a year. I just cancel my data plan before the end of my month, restart it next time I need it. It's been more than worth having it for the extra cost of the 3G, used it for 3 months total (more like 5-6 weeks actual 3G usage) since getting it on release day. However, I would never have bought the 3G if it required a contract.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    I bet the carriers will offer subsidized prices for new contracts.

GSM-3G is more popular worlwide (and in US) and is faster than the CDMA one.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    >>>iPads it shipped during the fourth calendar quarter of 2010 came out to roughly $600. With the cheapest 3G iPad retailing for $629, Apple would presumably have had to see the mix weighted heavily towards the the 16GB $499 WiFi model and 16GB $629 3G model for sales of 3G models to outweigh WiFi ones given that ASP.

I see faulty logic here. You are neglecting 32GB and 64GB models. So, I don't think you can just state that because the average price of an iPad is $600, that most users are opting for the 3G models. They could be opting for more storage.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    >>>But that makes me wonder: WiFi is so ubiquitous these days, do they really think that there will be that much demand for the 3G iPad? Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, because so many wifi spots are locked down.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Just FYI, the USA still does have the largest manufacturing sector in the world. Don't just skim the headlines and assume that China has won already.

A bit dismissive....And correct! Not many people know that. Mainly because most "skim headlines!"

However, you don't get these sort of facts I've mentioned by just "skimming headlines"....Yes, we are still the largest manufacturer but by this time next year we won't be. I think you have taken my comments as "alarmist" which was not my intention. I just want to show if there is any country that is capable of "ramping up" the manufacturing of iPads and iPhones, it's China! I was simply backing up my position with facts.

America still has 18 out of the top 20 universities and 38 out of the top 50. More Patents, and more Noble Prizes come from the USA.

However, the largest car market in the world will be china in the next couple of years or so, if it isn't already.

2020-2025 China will have the largest economy.

Best
  • Reply 27 of 55
    well, All I know is that I'm part of the 2nd wave of iPad purchases.... and GSM ready....

sadly my Unibody MacBook Pro 13" is being regifted;-)... also, I'm about ready to be 1099 again, HELLO BUSINESS EXPENSE [at my rates, the gov't buys about 46% of the device;-)]

tOG
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

A bit dismissive....And correct! Not many people know that. Mainly because most "skim headlines!"

However, you don't get these sort of facts I've mentioned by just "skimming headlines"....Yes, we are still the largest manufacturer but by this time next year we won't be. I think you have taken my comments as "alarmist" which was not my intention. I just want to show if there is any country that is capable of "ramping up" the manufacturing of iPads and iPhones, it's China! I was simply backing up my position with facts.

America still has 18 out of the top 20 universities and 38 out of the top 50. More Patents, and more Noble Prizes come from the USA.

However, the largest car market in the world will be china in the next couple of years or so, if it isn't already.

Best

Out of pure curiosity, where is the info about the universities coming from and what are the criteria?
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Out of pure curiosity, where is the info about the universities coming from and what are the criteria?

Hi Joel, Fareed Zakaria stated it on his GPS program on CNN a few weeks ago. Sorry, I don't know the exact criteria it was based on.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Wrong assumption.

It means expanded growth through subsidized contracts with Telcos. No more, no less.

The demand for a WiFi only model isn't going down. They are just expanding their channels.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

>>>iPads it shipped during the fourth calendar quarter of 2010 came out to roughly $600. With the cheapest 3G iPad retailing for $629, Apple would presumably have had to see the mix weighted heavily towards the the 16GB $499 WiFi model and 16GB $629 3G model for sales of 3G models to outweigh WiFi ones given that ASP.

I see faulty logic here. You are neglecting 32GB and 64GB models. So, I don't think you can just state that because the average price of an iPad is $600, that most users are opting for the 3G models. They could be opting for more storage.

You misread it. They're not saying that the ASP meant that most users are opting for 3G models. They're explaining the only mix that would explain 3G models' volume lead over wifi only models. In order to get to an average price of $600, you either assume that many more wifi models sold than 3G models or that very few wifi iPads sold costing more than $500, and that almost all 3G models were 16 GB.

In my experience, there were few middle priced units sold. My clients who bought them tended to either buy the biggest and best (64 GB 3G) or the $499 model. So based on my experience here in DC, I don't see how the facts all can add up.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Best

Most likely true. However, not all trends are inexorable. The same was said about Japan 25 years ago. Given the demographics, it does seem likely that China will overtake the USA. Thankfully, overall GDP is not important in the daily life of anyone. GDP per head, however, is far more important. For a long time after China overtakes the USA in overall GDP, the average person in the USA will have a far higher standard of living and income.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Wrong assumption.

It means expanded growth through subsidized contracts with Telcos. No more, no less.

The demand for a WiFi only model isn't going down. They are just expanding their channels.

Agreed. Although I?d much rather use a personal hotspot and get the WiFi model myself! And I would expect most users NOT to want to pay for 3G data every month, making the WiFi model still the most popular by far. So I?m skeptical of any 60% 3G production!
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Most likely true. However, not all trends are inexorable. The same was said about Japan 25 years ago. Given the demographics, it does seem likely that China will overtake the USA. Thankfully, overall GDP is not important in the daily life of anyone. GDP per head, however, is far more important. For a long time after China overtakes the USA in overall GDP, the average person in the USA will have a far higher standard of living and income.

Excellent point(s)! I do remember that being said about Japan. And you're right, a lot of China's accomplishments are blown out of proportion for a variety of reasons. They still do not have any "bases" around the world. Nor do they have a "blue-water" navy....Since July of last year their ownership of T-bills has dropped from 24% to 21%....they're investing the money in mines in Africa amongst other places. Smart!

America is still the "best" country in the world! After Thailand that is. Even the guys look like chicks! It's great!

Best
  • Reply 35 of 55
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:

Yes, but how long before China has the same per capita income as the U.S.?

US: GDP/307million.

China: GDP/1.3 billion.

And then there's the whole communism vs. democracy thing....

Quote:

Excellent point(s)! I do remember that being said about Japan. And you're right, a lot of China's accomplishments are blown out of proportion for a variety of reasons.

America is still the "best" country in the world! After Thailand that is. Even the guys look like chicks! It's great!

100% in agreement with the above.

My apologies for going off on a tangent.

Waiting anxiously for the new iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Agreed. Although I?d much rather use a personal hotspot and get the WiFi model myself! And I would expect most users NOT to want to pay for 3G data every month, making the WiFi model still the most popular by far. So I?m skeptical of any 60% 3G production!

I personally love my Wifi iPad. Sitting at a hotspot or my own wireless network around the house and yard is very relaxing while I read up on current events, non-hardbound books, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

China's growth through artificially devaluing their currency is not sustainable. They will crash harder than Japan if they don't slowly ramp it back up.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Yes, but how long before China has the same per capita income as the U.S.?

US: GDP/307million.

China: GDP/1.3 billion.

And then there's the whole communism vs. democracy thing....

100% in agreement with the above.

My apologies for going off on a tangent.

Waiting anxiously for the new iPad.

Yep, exactly right. My point was that with all China's accomplishments...650 million people (half) are still living in poverty. That's a large relatively inexpensive labor pool in which to draw from to assemble iPads.

I guess I should be the one to appologize for going off on a tangent! I'm looking fwd to the iPad 2, too!

Best
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

China's growth through artificially devaluing their currency is not sustainable. They will crash harder than Japan if they don't slowly ramp it back up.

Good point...very well could happen. However, in the '80's they did raise it 20%. I think I have that right.

Source: Secretary Tim Geitner, Charlie Rose interview. (One before last one!)
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Best

That sounds awfully like a negative, not a positive....