Report: Apple prepared 2 million Verizon iPhone 4 for preorders, retail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

if it's 100,000, 200,000 or 2,000,000 - what's really cool, is they will all be beating down the doors when iPhone 5 comes out. How in hell is anyone going to keep up with that!

Skip

PS I'm thinking there's a split coming up, but not in stock, more likely Apple Media / Apple Computers

Why do you think that?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:

if it's 100,000, 200,000 or 2,000,000 - what's really cool, is they will all be beating down the doors when iPhone 5 comes out. How in hell is anyone going to keep up with that!

Skip

PS I'm thinking there's a split coming up, but not in stock, more likely Apple Media / Apple Computers

Interesting...but I think Apple has already moved onto being a consumer products company. Which includes the Mac computer being the digital hub...I see them evolving but I don't see them splitting. Especially when you think of the success of their retail operations. They are "besting" Best Buy!

Next year I hope to see an Apple 50" TV in the store...and in five years we may see, way in the back an aluminum refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and oven with a blue Apple logo on it!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Interesting...but I think Apple has moved onto being a consumer products company. Which includes the Mac computer being the digital hub...I see them evolving but I don't see them splitting. Especially when you think of the success of their retail operations. They are "besting" Best Buy!

The suggestion that they should/will split up is pretty bizarre - you'd have to find an argument that the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole with Apple Inc. Can anyone make that argument? If there was ever an argument for an integrated whole being worth far more than its parts, this has to be it.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Gotta go guys! My GF is talking to me again and you know what that means!!!!!

Enjoyed today's discussions!

Best
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The suggestion that they should/will split up is pretty bizarre - you'd have to find an argument that the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole with Apple Inc. Can anyone make that argument? If there was ever an argument for an integrated whole being worth far more than its parts, this has to be it.

I think a big part of the value of Apple is how well the different platforms work together. I agree with you that a split-up of Apple doesn't make sense for that reason.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

@DED

I love Apple and I love my iPhone 4, but you seem to really be twisting words around lately (inaccurately) trying to create some form of Apple propaganda. It's not becoming of AI.

You said "exhausted the initial supply estimated to be available in just two hours". This is 100% false. This morning Verizon said "In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history."

So a slight misstatement of wording that has no real impact other than to chafe your anus is somehow "twisted propaganda"? Are you fcking kidding me?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Interesting...but I think Apple has already moved onto being a consumer products company. Which includes the Mac computer being the digital hub...I see them evolving but I don't see them splitting. Especially when you think of the success of their retail operations. They are "besting" Best Buy!

Next year I hope to see an Apple 50" TV in the store...and in five years we may see, way in the back an aluminum refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and oven with a blue Apple logo on it!

I think it is time for Apple to supply the entertainment for automobiles, including the GPS. What is offered now is terrible from the user interface. Have to read 200 page manual and it is still hard to use. Mercedes and BMW got to have to the worst UI... Toyota is not far behind either.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    [QUOTE=illinisouth;1801497]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

" Apple prepared 2 million CDMA iPhone 4 units to deliver to Verizon Wireless and its own retail stores through January...."

Apple "prepared"? How about Apple "manufactured"? Or Apple "built"? Saying Apple "prepared" 2 million CDMA phones makes it sound as if the iPhone is coming from the kitchens at the Food Channel.

Prepare means to make ready for use. The idea is that they're not just making stuff, but making it in advance so it's ready at launch.

That's likely why the word was used.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

@DED

I love Apple and I love my iPhone 4, but you seem to really be twisting words around lately (inaccurately) trying to create some form of Apple propaganda. It's not becoming of AI.

You said "exhausted the initial supply estimated to be available in just two hours". This is 100% false. This morning Verizon said "In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history."

The DED credo...

If you can't bedazzle them with brilliance... Baffle them with bullshit!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    [QUOTE=illinisouth;1801497]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

" Apple prepared 2 million CDMA iPhone 4 units to deliver to Verizon Wireless and its own retail stores through January...."

Apple "prepared"? How about Apple "manufactured"? Or Apple "built"? Saying Apple "prepared" 2 million CDMA phones makes it sound as if the iPhone is coming from the kitchens at the Food Channel.

Seems to me "prepared" is quite appropriate. After building or manufacturing an item one must prepare the product for shipment and delivery to the customer (ie retail boxing, freight packaging, etc). Further I suspect Apple manufactured many more than the quantity they have allocated and "prepared" for Verizon's pre=order event. My guess would be 2x, 2mil prepared for pre-order and 2mil in the pipeline...... awesome if true.

OAS Go Pack!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GT500CA View Post

"This morning, Verizon Wireless announced that presales for iPhone 4 had exhausted the initial supply estimated to be available in just two hours. It did not say how many devices it had been allocated for these preorders however."

This statement by Verizon doesn't make sense. I am in Orange County, CA. I ordered 2 iPhones at 7:30 am Pacific Time on Thursday, my order was confirmed , and the phones are scheduled to be delivered to me on Monday by 3 pm according to Fed Ex.

So either the initial supply wasn't exhausted in 2 hours (which would have been 2 am Pacific Time), or they had more iPhones for pre-orders become available.

I'm not complaining, just glad to finally get an iPhone on Verizon.

It took 17 hours to sell out the pre-order allocation, but just 2 hours to break the old sales record.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Skip

I'm thinking that the iMac will just become more like the iPhone/iPad... the lines between the products will become more and more blurred.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    ^^^

True that.....the App Store now on Mac being a prime example. Just saw in the news Verizon is expected to sell around 13 million iPhone 4's in 2011. Don't know if they took into account of the release of the iPhone (5). If both do get released on AT&T and Verizon this year (I'm assuming AT&T will have it first), we can see numbers of epic proportions!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

@DED

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

So a slight misstatement of wording that has no real impact other than to chafe your anus is somehow "twisted propaganda"? Are you fcking kidding me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you kidding?! Apple propaganda is the only reason I visit AI.

i second that!
  • Reply 35 of 41
    pofopofo Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'll love to read how the Android trolls will spin this.

+1

Also would be interesting to see how this affects the marketshares overall.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarvijarv View Post

^^^

True that.....the App Store now on Mac being a prime example. Just saw in the news Verizon is expected to sell around 13 million iPhone 4's in 2011. Don't know if they took into account of the release of the iPhone (5). If both do get released on AT&T and Verizon this year (I'm assuming AT&T will have it first), we can see numbers of epic proportions!

And I Just saw in the news Apple is expected to sell around 560 million iPhone 4's in 2011 Worldwide. Perhaps their plan is close to 2 billions in 2012. Perhaps finally close to 7 billions in 2013. have you seen these new features? Amazing!! I never really realized how much I hated keyboards until I saw this thing!!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Assuming the 2 million for preorders is correct, that doesn't mean they sold 2 million on the first day. They probably allocated some of that 2 million for the preorders for existing customers, then, there are the preorders, beginning next week, that are open to both new and existing customers, then there is the retail stock, which, presumably, is not included in the preorder stock. If the 2 million is correct, it might not be unreasonable to assume they sold 1 million the first day.

EDIT: Seems I missed the update. So, assuming that's correct, then, first day preorders probably not much more than 0.5 million.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gescom View Post

And I Just saw in the news Apple is expected to sell around 560 million iPhone 4's in 2011 Worldwide. Perhaps their plan is close to 2 billions in 2012. Perhaps finally close to 7 billions in 2013. have you seen these new features? Amazing!! I never really realized how much I hated keyboards until I saw this thing!!

This is so late. That video from the Onion literally came out like 2 years ago.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Am I reading this correctly, Verizon sold 2 million pre-orders in 4 hours? Btwn 3AM and 7AM?

If so, good for them!

No they sold out the allotted amount for this first current customer preorder. New customers can preorder on Feb 9.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Even if Apple has prepared 2 million Verizon Iphone4 units, most likely it still will not be enough. The enthusiasm, peer pressure, and the IPHONE4 being a superb product will certainly help those units blow out.