Should Apple Deny Rumors?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

they denied new imacs or powerbooks for Seybold and Paris in September.

If the G5 really isn't coming out and if the new iMac is not coming out with an LCD they should at least deny those two things by justing saying, we have no plans to introduce a G5 or iMac LCD in the coming months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They should as I would be able to at least sleep better knowing one way or the other ( I am dreaming of a G5) However, they didn't leading up to NY, which I think is why they did deny hardware at Paris. Maybe that was a turning point? From NY on they will now deny rumors like the ones leading up to NY which made it the biggest let down. The exta media ateention got didn't help either, huge billboards, live QT, techtv on cable, etc helped built the hype more than the rumors.

I still hope for a G5 if not then a major kick ass G4.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    They should definatley deny rumors.Because if they didnt everybody would hold of there purchases until that product was released and then apple's left with unwanted inventory.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    icomicom Posts: 41member
    [quote]Originally posted by Robby:

<strong>They should definatley deny rumors.Because if they didnt everybody would hold of there purchases until that product was released and then apple's left with unwanted inventory.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In this case, I think they would not . We all know that Apple will release new hardware and sales are always slowing down before Apple expo's . If they deny rumors, they reveal their plans for the coming months . Supose they say, sorry folks, no G5 planned for the coming months . That will hurt their sales, because everyone wants a G5 . + They revealed their plans for the coming months . It's best to say nothing at all in this case . There will always be something we want to wait for, it's best not to know, it will keep sales stable . It's better to stear us in to the good direction like putting mesages on boards like these . I do think someone at Appe deals with this stuff, it's part of their marketing .

But, like all of us... my dream is indeed a fast G5 . I've been holding my sale for this one .
  • Reply 24 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Aaron Arnold:

<strong> Why wouldn't you just tape that key down then? </strong><hr></blockquote>

cause it's going to replace caps lock
  • Reply 25 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,025member
    Now hold on guys, you are assuming some things which I don't think we can:

1) Sales slow down at the holiday time of year for Apple.

2) Sales slow down before an expo

1)---I'm not sure about that at all. I don't actually know, but I'm going to find out.

2)---Possibly, but don't assume ALL mac users are the people who go to rumor boards. I know plenty that just aren't concerned.

I used to think Apple's expo schedule was dumb. But, if one thinks about it, it is pretty smart. They are able to clear the channel of the old products using two BIG conduits, Christmas/Holidays and the Education Buying Season (known heretofor as Christmas II...take it from teacher). The latter is a "split" deal....some buying happens in May/June on leats year's budget and some happens after, in August. Either way, Apple wins.

The other way, having Big shows like MW say, two months before the holidays, they are stuck with OLD inventory preceeding those shows, theoretically.

Of course, they have ther shows which fill in the gaps...and special events. But I assume we at least agree that MacWorlds are bigger than say, Seybold.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 30
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Apple is a succesful cmpany becuase it releases most excellent products quite regularly.

Applebeneifts from rampant specuilation. Unforunatly, this crates an atmoshopher where people who hae signed NDAs feel that they absolutely MUSt spread the owrd. Not good for them. Steve Jobs likes his secrecy.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    JD: :eek:

I'd like to believe you, but I don't think Apple's announcement will be THAT good...

Anyway, Apple can't deny rumors that are true because they are a public company. Say , for instance, they came out tomorrow and denied the G5's existance. Then lots of people in the company start buying stock. That is illegal. They only deny rumors when they are so bad that it will hurt sales. Remeber when those spy photos of the quicksilver surfaced? Apple didn't deny its existance, they just sent the legal team after those sites. That's when you *know* a product is coming.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>Often Times when Rebates(significant rebates of plus 200 dollars) are announced new hardware follows, Isn't there a Rebate or special on the iMac and the g4 right now?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple has promotions on every CPU right now.

PowerBook: Doubled RAM

iBook: $100 mail in rebate

iMac: $150 mail in rebate or free HP digital camera

G4 PMac: $500, $300, $100 rebates on machine w/Apple display.

By your logic, this would suggest that Apple is planning on updating the entire product line in January. Personally, I think the laptops will stay as-is.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Good and bad news on the Orgasmatron technology. According to my source, lets call him ?Soon-to-be unemployed bee? (He?s the guy who rakes the gravel in the Zen garden outside Steve?s office), the bossman is seriously pumped about this. He makes a bee line to his office chanting, ?Orgasm! Orgasm! Orgasm!.? every morning (Described as similar to Ballmer and his developers, developers, developers mantra). It seems Steve feels this is the killer app that will not only grow Mac market share, but will also be the perfect vehicle to launch Apple?s own .net- like strategy. That?s right, friends, while you will receive a certain number of built-in orgasms when you buy a new Mac, after that you will have to pay for each and every one.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    I think laptops will be updated in tokyo