Dell previews conceptual tablet running Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    If it's a so-called "Business Tablet", why does it have a HD aspect ratio screen?

I find I can see and interact with apps and web pages better, even if I have to scroll more sometimes, by being able to view a larger 'chunk' at a time using a non-widescreen monitor over a widescreen monitor [and it's one of the things I like about the iPad].

And yes, I know that the reason for them [Dell] using a widescreen display is because it's slightly cheaper than a display with the aspect ratio Apple uses for the iPad. And Dell's tablet will STILL cost significantly more than the iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Alas a tablet running a full-fledged OS. no need to connect to a mother computer? not using a cellphone based OS?

Stay tuned.

And with a real keyboard hinged to it we can all get back to laptops the way god intended.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

And with a real keyboard hinged to it we can all get back to laptops the way god intended.

I think you're on to something
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

To try and slow down Apple. If you can just get people to not buy an iPad until they get their 7 Tablet thingy out to market, maybe, just maybe, you can sell enough of your crap to get a slice of the pie Apple created.

What kind of pie?

Shouldn't that end... 'get a slice of the Apple pie.'?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

A piece of plastic with an screenshot stuck on the front! Nice work, Dell!

At least the upgrade to Windows 8 will be easy. Just slap on a new sticker.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    According to report by CNET, the product is aimed at users "who need greater mobility, as well as IT organizations that demand control, security, manageability, and integration with existing infrastructure investments."

Boooooriiing.

When I see lame-ass business gibberish like that I know it'll be either DOA or part of an ill-conceived "reset" plan down the road.

Nothing remotely intense or exciting to see here, folks.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Tablet + Windows = Fail

Was Dell absent that day in class?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Why bother? Not only are you late to the game but you show up with a non-functional prototype?

Not only why bother, but unless you are looking for a junk-food standard like PC don't look to anything what H(D)ELL manufactures. It's plain garbage. Tablet=Crap, PDA=Crap.

Some while back Michael Hell suggested that Apple close up shop and return the money back to the shareholders. Good advice Mr. Hell, close up your crappy PC shop and return the money (if there's any left) to the shareholders.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

But don't forget the power adapter!!
  • Reply 30 of 54
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Is that interface based on real information?

A windowed interface is just embarrassing on a portable touch device at this point.

Microsoft have an opportunity to innovate handed to them on a platter and they deliver the same interface over and over again.

It took them a decade to copy Mac OS X. You don't expect them to copy iOS overnight, do you?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

To try and slow down Apple. If you can just get people to not buy an iPad until they get their 7 Tablet thingy out to market, maybe, just maybe, you can sell enough of your crap to get a slice of the pie Apple created.

Of course, consumers no longer fall for this routine, so they target their core suckers, err, I mean customers... Corporate IT departments.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Originally Posted by iLiver

Alas a tablet running a full-fledged OS. no need to connect to a mother computer? not using a cellphone based OS?

Stay tuned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

MS and Dell have a history of delivering failed handheld devices ... I agree, stay tuned. History is apt to repeat itself here as neither company deemed it important enough to actually show a working product.

I have a feeling he meant "At last" rather than "Alas".
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

And yes, I know that the reason for them [Dell] using a widescreen display is because it's slightly cheaper than a display with the aspect ratio Apple uses for the iPad.

That, and you get to advertise a "10 inch tablet" while delivering a smaller screen.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Stay tuned.

iOS is a full-fledged tablet OS. Why would you put a desktop OS in a mobile device?

And before you suggest laptops are mobile devices, that's only half the truth. Many people, if not most, used them on some kind of desk or table most of the time. So they need to encompass the larger paradigm, at the expense of usability.

The iPad is NOT a netbook. It' NOT a "wannabe laptop"; get over it.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    here is a rock. it wil glow multiple colors once we finish it.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Wow... just relax and read...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to report by CNET, the product is aimed at users "who need greater mobility, as well as IT organizations that demand control, security, manageability, and integration with existing infrastructure investments."

This is is specifically designed to fit into market gaps that the iPad doesn't, not to compete with it.

They aren't going to sell like the iPad, and I'd suggest Dell already knows that.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

This is is specifically designed to fit into market gaps that the iPad doesn't, not to compete with it.

They aren't going to sell like the iPad, and I'd suggest Dell already knows that.

Just because they know it will fail does not make it a success when it fails.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Just because they know it will fail does not make it a success when it fails.

That doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Originally Posted by iLiver

Stay tuned.

I have a feeling he meant "At last" rather than "Alas".

Shhhh.

Ah, the irony......
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I disagree. Dell is trying to stop the bleeding caused by uptake by companies of the iPad and other iOS devices. Since corporate kit is the largest chunk of their market, they can't afford to let the iPad threat go unchallenged. The problem is, a majority of Fortune 100 companies and all of the Fortune 50 companies have programs in place to develop and platform for the iPad and iPhone. They are late to market with this, thinking that their stop-gap devices like the Streaks, would slow down Apple's popularity in the rebirthed tablet category long enough to get a decent Android version (sans Dells' UI overlay) into them and into the market. They are vainly hoping that IT managers will opt for familiarity (which isn't really there for Windows 7 with touch GUI overlay on a mobile device anyway) over popularity. If the IT managers rule, then this might work, but most companies I know it's the executives that override the IT manager and the IT manager is tasked with adapting to their wants, needs and desires.