Apple granted patent where carriers bid for iPhone service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Please tell me a carrier that does not have roaming charges?

C.

Never said there was. I'm just having a bit of fun.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Assuming this ever came to pass, why would carriers ever subsidize phone manufacturers prices to consumers again?
  • Reply 23 of 84
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Assuming this ever came to pass, why would carriers ever subsidize phone manufacturers prices to consumers again?

The subsidy is a loan - offset agains the revenues the carrier will charge you down the line.

A carrier is only going to do that, if you are locked to his network.

In an ideal world, you'd have the choice of both.

However, there would be nothing to prevent Apple from offering its own subsidy.

C.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:

I think that under this model the subsidization (is that even a word!?) would come from Apple instead of the wireless provider(s). Or perhaps this would end subsidies all together and we'd end up with $300-$400 iPhones and lower monthly bills. I'd be okay with this path as long as the savings were realized in the first 6-12 months.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

Wow, this shows how sad the wireless industry is in the US, that you have to have a patent to force some sort of competition among the cartels. Hilarious. Hey Apple, maybe you should start by selling unlocked iPhones in the US just for kicks.

It's worse than that. Try the fact that this stupid business method patent got granted in the first place.

Or maybe apple doesn't want people to know their phone can cost $800-$1000 unlocked.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

Wow, this shows how sad the wireless industry is in the US, that you have to have a patent to force some sort of competition among the cartels. Hilarious. Hey Apple, maybe you should start by selling unlocked iPhones in the US just for kicks.

Not sure that European competition is a model of perfection.

C.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It'd work great for International travel, instead of paying roaming rates you'd pay local rates wherever you go, billed via an iTunes account.

No wonder European carriers are against it, I'd say roaming charges would make a nice little earner for them.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:

The subsidy is a loan - offset agains the revenues the carrier will charge you down the line.

A carrier is only going to do that, if you are locked to his network.

However, there would be nothing to prevent Apple from offering its own subsidy.

C.

Yes exactly, you reiterated my point. I can see this being the future. If Apple acts as the middleman between their own clients and a group of carriers they can easily drop the iPhone cost to those that subscribe to this system. This just maybe the biggest news on Apple in a long time. Imagine the sales of iPhones that are a fraction of the cost and negotiate, on the fly, the lowest connection rate for any call! Wow! Could this be one use for the new data center in the Carolinas?
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Apple is just trying to control everything...just like Apple likes to do. Here is the down side as stated in the article "several European carriers threatened Apple that such a feature would jeopardize their willingness to subsidize future versions of the iPhone." You will save a few pennies on your phone bill but get ready to pay $500 - $700 for that new phone.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

Apple is just trying to control everything...just like Apple likes to do. Here is the down side as stated in the article "several European carriers threatened Apple that such a feature would jeopardize their willingness to subsidize future versions of the iPhone." You will save a few pennies on your phone bill but get ready to pay $500 - $700 for that new phone.

Oh dear.

We already do pay $700 for the phone. It's just that it is paid by a hire-purchase agreement with carriers. It is called a contract.

Carriers would STILL BE ABLE TO DO THIS.

C.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    Quote:

The patent specifically lists Verizon and Sprint as examples of carriers from which MVNOs purchase minutes.

My take, is that this could be used in any carrier situation, but will be much more meaningful in the 700mhz LTE arena. When those systems are up and running, you will see 3-5 compatible carrier signals in any given US location. Some of those carriers could be smaller operators, some will be large national carriers (VZW, ATT, et al).

This would effectively create an iCarrier store for apple to use to interface on the license holder, tower operator, side of the equation. Apple has already usurped the sanctity of the handset holder < - > carrier relationship, why not go for yet another one.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

My take, is that this could be used in any carrier situation, but will be much more meaningful in the 700mhz LTE arena. When those systems are up and running, you will see 3-5 compatible carrier signals in any given US location. Some of those carriers could be smaller operators, some will be large national carriers (VZW, ATT, et al).

This would effectively create an iCarrier store for apple to use to interface on the license holder, tower operator, side of the equation. Apple has already usurped the sanctity of the handset holder < - > carrier relationship, why not go for yet another one.

I think this is exactly what is coming. The new data center maybe involved you think?

Many will scream that is more of Apple's closed system mentality ironically when in fact it is liberating. Wow, wow, wow AAPL might hit 1000 in my lifetime This is big.

My question is, if Apple has been granted a patent on this, how long before Google, Microsoft et al manage to copy Apple yet again?

BTW to those worried about costs of iPhones ... with this Apple can subsidize their own iPhones in this plan as others have pointed out. We are paying the full price now just over time in our contracts.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Slow down.

Isn't going to happen without carrier cooperation.

And I don't see that happening without legislation forcing carriers to play ball.

C.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:

C.

Except that loans *END*. Why is it that after my cell contract is done my bill (which should be just for service at that point) does not go down? The phone's paid for!

They want you to think it's a loan. But really it's really a scam.

-Mike
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Slow down.

Isn't going to happen without carrier cooperation.

And I don't see that happening without legislation forcing carriers to play ball.

C.

How many have to play ball before the flood gate opens? I acknowledge this may only operate in the USA, Europe maybe a whole other ball of wax. Not sure about the rest of the Americas.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcashwell View Post

Except that loans *END*. Why is it that after my cell contract is done my bill (which should be just for service at that point) does not go down? The phone's paid for!

Well of course it is.

Which is why a new business model would be preferable.

C.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcashwell View Post

-Mike

You said it! Yet another reason why this plan of Apple's will be sweet. We have been at the mercy of a what is literally a cartel in the US for too long.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:

How many have to play ball before the flood gate opens? I acknowledge this may only operate in the USA, Europe maybe a whole other ball of wax. Not sure about the rest of the Americas.

Like I said earlier, I can see this happening in Europe before the US.

The European Court of Justice just made a very interesting ruling relating to national boundaries for subscription television. It would be great if they took on the carriers.

C.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

Like I said earlier, I can see this happening in Europe before the US.

The European Court of Justice just made a very interesting ruling relating to national boundaries for subscription television. It would be great if they took on the carriers.

C.

Well that is good news. I don't follow the Euro side so much anymore so I am out of touch. I can see it happening here the only question is, how soon?

btw, I am originally from Chesterfield
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

What?\

Essentially someone at Apple has elephant sized family jewels.