Apple Store relaunches with new Verizon iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At midnight, Apple replaced its "be back soon" notice with an active online storefront offering the new iPhone 4 on both US carriers: AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

Starting today, US shoppers buying iPhone 4 can now choose between AT&T and Verizon for service, with the Apple Store offering links to both carrier's plans and service maps.

Wait times for AT&T are still listed as shipping within 24 hours, while the new Verizon iPhone 4 model is currently stating an shipping availability of February 18th for orders set to be mailed to the user.

When we placed an order for the new phone, the shipping receipt stated our order would ship "by February 18th," and be delivered "within 5 business days after shipping," potentially as late as February 25.

A choice to reserve a Verizon iPhone for pickup in a retail Apple Store was not listed as an available option, and the black model remained the only version currently listed for sale. Buyers who prefer to pick up their new phone will want to "check back soon."

Apple offers free shipping on its online orders, while in-store pickups are stated to include free setup. Existing AT&T customers who enter their account information will have their phone number switched over to new Verizon service when they receive their new phone and connect it to iTunes to initiate setup. Users who purchase or pickup a new phone in the store will be switched over in the store. The actual switchover process may take between one to three hours, according to Apple's site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I started the process to reserve a phone exactly on the hour.

The first time I went through, I did receive the "try back later" screen as listed in the article.

However, on my second try through, starting 15 minutes later, I was able to select a local store and get the "Your reservation is confirmed" screen listing the correct date, store and what I ordered, and what I must bring to the store.

That being said, I'm not keen on the idea that I have to wait until noon... I plan to show up in the morning since I've already put in to take the morning off and I can not take the afternoon off.

With that said, I still am waiting for the confirmation email mentioned on the "Your reservation is confirmed page":

Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You'll receive a confirmation email shortly. You can pick up your new iPhone at the Apple Retail Store starting at 12:00 p.m. on the selected date. We'll get you activated fast, and then we'll set up your iPhone to make calls, browse the web, and receive personal email right on the spot.

• Reply 2 of 13
    will stay with ATT but congrat to all the new Verizon iPhone 4 owners. Welcome to the 4 club. You will be amazed how high quality Apple products are compare to all other cheap plastic droid
  • Reply 3 of 13
    AT&T iPhone 4 owner happily switching to Verizon iPhone 4

AT&T reception is fine at college, go home and nothing.. Verizon has full coverage in both spots. No brainer.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half a Bubble off View Post

I started the process to reserve a phone exactly on the hour.

The first time I went through, I did receive the "try back later" screen as listed in the article.

However, on my second try through, starting 15 minutes later, I was able to select a local store and get the "Your reservation is confirmed" screen listing the correct date, store and what I ordered, and what I must bring to the store.

That being said, I'm not keen on the idea that I have to wait until noon... I plan to show up in the morning since I've already put in to take the morning off and I can not take the afternoon off.

With that said, I still am waiting for the confirmation email mentioned on the "Your reservation is confirmed page":

Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You'll receive a confirmation email shortly. You can pick up your new iPhone at the Apple Retail Store starting at 12:00 p.m. on the selected date. We'll get you activated fast, and then we'll set up your iPhone to make calls, browse the web, and receive personal email right on the spot.

dont worry, you will get the email. My email was 8 hour late after i preordered mine on ATT. and i had to stay in line for 8 hours to get it. Will have it shipped home next time when the iPhone 5 coming out
  • Reply 5 of 13
    "On the fence" AT&T iPhone 4 owner waiting for the iPhone 5...if all is well then I'll switch to Verizon.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I was one of the people to order mine at 3.. I cancelled my order from Verizon 20 minutes later after seeing the shipping date, because I can't wait any longer now that it is here. I had no problem reserving it at my local Apple Store and hopefully the lines won't be long here in Charleston!!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I reserved mine at an Apple Store too. I'm transferring 2 lines from ATT so I choose the "Create a new account for two or more iPhones...? option and put in all my info (including ATT account info). By the end, my reservation said that only 1 iphone will be reserved. Apples website says that I can purchase additional iPhones at the Apple Store for addition lines. Hope supply allows it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Better buy the Verizon 4-Pack: 1 for Data, 1 for Voice, 2 more for Speed!

David Letterman clip that bashed Verizon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxpvrJC5VA

On a more serious note, I really think Verizon is a step backwards:

-Much slower speed

-No concurrent Voice/Data (you Verizoner's have no idea what you are missing!)

-No 'real' international coverage (like Europe!)

Yeah, I know...."but I want to make a call". With Smartphones, calling is actually a feature that is used the least. Smartphones demand speed and multitasking.....Verizon can not offer those.

The iPhone 4 supports speeds of 7.2MB....and the next iPhone 5 will likely support HSPA+ which will run at 14.4Mbs. AT&T will support those speeds but Verizon can not....they are stuck on CDMA (max=3mb).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Better buy the Verizon 4-Pack: 1 for Data, 1 for Voice, 2 more for Speed!

David Letterman clip that bashed Verizon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxpvrJC5VA

On a more serious note, I really think Verizon is a step backwards:

-Much slower speed

-No concurrent Voice/Data (you Verizoner's have no idea what you are missing!)

-No 'real' international coverage (like Europe!)

Yeah, I know...."but I want to make a call". With Smartphones, calling is actually a feature that is used the least. Smartphones demand speed and multitasking.....Verizon can not offer those.

The iPhone 4 supports speeds of 7.2MB....and the next iPhone 5 will likely support HSPA+ which will run at 14.4Mbs. AT&T will support those speeds but Verizon can not....they are stuck on CDMA (max=3mb).

You do realize your argument does not hold water, right? There is a reason that Verizon is the largest cell phone provider in the US. It isn't because people want slower service and lack of concurrent data and voice.

1. Concurrent data and voice is an overstated feature. I would love to see the actual statistics that show the percentage of users who use data and voice at the same time. Even when I had it I do not remember using it. Been with Verizon for years and I have survived without it.

2. Most users want/need their cell phone to be a cell phone first and a mini-computer second. In an emergency I don't need access to my apps, I need access to my phone.

3. I would rather have greater call clarity and data/voice coverage, with data at a slightly slower speed, and the inability to do data/voice at the same time, then hunt around town for a spot where I can make a call or wonder when it is going to drop. Even when I could make a call on the AT&T phone that I had the call sounds like crap.

For me, Verizon is the best carrier out there when you put the whole package together. Call clarity, coverage, 3G service, etc. They are not #1 because they provide substandard service. They are not #1 because they are the least expensive carrier (far from it). They are #1, at least IMHO, because they provide the best package of coverage, service, and call clarity.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonalTaste View Post

dont worry, you will get the email. My email was 8 hour late after i preordered mine on ATT. and i had to stay in line for 8 hours to get it. Will have it shipped home next time when the iPhone 5 coming out

Thanks for the advice.

In my sleep addled brain, I realized that I had to use an old Apple ID to order the phone, because my iTunes account (with a different email address) was not being recognized by the apple store website. So, I checked the email address associate with the old Apple ID, and sure enough, there was the confirmation email which was sent within 5 minutes of when I had reserved the phone.

For me, tomorrow is like Christmas. I don't wanna wait until noon!

Fortunately for me, I'm upgrading from an original iPhone, so I am way out of contract. I was tempted to get the iPhone 4 when it came out, but I continue to have coverage issues at a number of places where I live/work/play with AT&T, and I don't live in NY or SF. Even last night, a call with the GF resulted in one dropped call (she was on a landline) and a few times when the connection quality went so bad that I couldn't hear her or understand her for a minute. Gonna put this old iPhone back into the box I bought it with, along with the accessories and put it on the same shelf that the Apple II+ is on. Maybe together they'll be worth $5 some day.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I'll be very excited to see under this banner in the near future T-Mobile USA listed as an option for the iPhone. Time will tell.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At midnight, Apple replaced its "be back soon" notice with an active online storefront offering the new iPhone 4 on both US carriers: AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

Starting today, US shoppers buying iPhone 4 can now choose between AT&T and Verizon for service, with the Apple Store offering links to both carrier's plans and service maps.

Wait times for AT&T are still listed as shipping within 24 hours, while the new Verizon iPhone 4 model is currently stating an shipping availability of February 18th for orders set to be mailed to the user.

When we placed an order for the new phone, the shipping receipt stated our order would ship "by February 18th," and be delivered "within 5 business days after shipping," potentially as late as February 25.

A choice to reserve a Verizon iPhone for pickup in a retail Apple Store was not listed as an available option, and the black model remained the only version currently listed for sale. Buyers who prefer to pick up their new phone will want to "check back soon."

Apple offers free shipping on its online orders, while in-store pickups are stated to include free setup. Existing AT&T customers who enter their account information will have their phone number switched over to new Verizon service when they receive their new phone and connect it to iTunes to initiate setup. Users who purchase or pickup a new phone in the store will be switched over in the store. The actual switchover process may take between one to three hours, according to Apple's site.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

It will be better for answering your question, Could you pls give more explanation on your needs?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilinovsx View Post

It will be better for answering your question, Could you pls give more explanation on your needs?

These have been popping up lately, what are they? They don't appear to be spam, since there aren't any links, but they're clearly some kind of coordinated thing, since they all have the same phrasing and appeared just recently.