Apple's iAd business is 'hurting,' fill rates dropping - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The reason Jobs was fired was not for the "1984" ad

I didn't say that Jobs was ousted because of the "1984" ad. I said that the critically acclaimed "1984" ad --- didn't do much for the Mac sales figures (which ultimately led to Jobs' ouster).
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

January-february is always slow in the ad business in my experience. The media agencies are currently planning their activities and budgets, therefore it's harder to close the deals.

With the impressive effect reports we have heard from the iAd platform I doubt that it'll fail.

You are talking about a 2/3 drop in advertisers. Sure you can attribute the time of year to a drop of 15% to 20% but 66% is the bottom dropping out. If Apple wants to charge these premium prices they are going to have to incorporate their advertising across all platforms.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Geez......where do you keep getting these fictional accounts that somewhat sound like our current reality but really isn't?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Apple's memorable, and critically acclaimed "1984" ad --- was a sales DUD, which led to Steve Jobs' ouster. Wendy's critically acclaimed 'Where's the beef?" ad was also a sales DUD --- which led to massive restructuring (and closing thousands of stores). What worked for Wendy's --- silly Dave Thomas ads.

• Reply 44 of 47
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You are stretching two things that aren't exactly related to each other to make your point.

Mac sales had little to do with the commercials. There were other things going on at that time.

Quote:

I didn't say that Jobs was ousted because of the "1984" ad. I said that the critically acclaimed "1984" ad --- didn't do much for the Mac sales figures (which ultimately led to Jobs' ouster).

• Reply 45 of 47
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Geez......where do you keep getting these fictional accounts that somewhat sound like our current reality but really isn't?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are stretching two things that aren't exactly related to each other to make your point.

Mac sales had little to do with the commercials. There were other things going on at that time.

I never said anything about the "current reality". I said that while the "creatives" care about good looking ads, the "bean counters" care about sales.

I really don't know why a zillion people jumped on me for that simple comment.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I never said anything about the "current reality". I said that while the "creatives" care about good looking ads, the "bean counters" care about sales.

I really don't know why a zillion people jumped on me for that simple comment.

A zillion, two, whatever.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I never click on ads in apps, be it a regular ad or an iAd. Design a full-screen ad that takes me out of whatever I'm doing in the app? I'll never use your app again or never consider buying the "full"/"pro" version.