Nokia's rejection of Android may help resolve patent war with Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I dunno about you guys but I'm king of exited about this for some reason. Not that I expect WP7 to be successful, but it creates a brighter image in my head then android. Maybe it's the recent hate between apple and google, maybe its the cockiness of google lately, but a Windows Phone 7 Nokia is a lot more appealing to me right now then an android device. Especially with Nokia's maps integrated, it should be pretty good.

PS Speaking of maps, apple needs to get on the ball and release a new maps application. Google Maps has been super stale. Either in house or in partnership with google, but new maps application needs to happen.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

PS Speaking of maps, apple needs to get on the ball and release a new maps application. Google Maps has been super stale. Either in house or in partnership with google, but new maps application needs to happen.

One has to wonder what became of the mapping technology from the companies that Apple acquired.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

You do realize by choosing Windows Phone 7 they have little to distinguish themselves from the competition? They are just a clone maker now who has to pay the Microsoft tax like the other cloners.

What competition? With Android, they would have to compete with dozens of low-cost Chinese Android models, as well as higher-end models from Motorola and HTC and the Koreans brands. With Windows Phone 7, they can offer models in all market segments and have a chance to establish themselves as the defacto Windows Phone 7 phone.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

If NOKIA adopted Android Microsoft would be speaking with them as well. Don't forget every HTC pays Microsoft money for every Android phone they ship.

No they don't. No one knows what the agreement was. It could just be that HTC agreed to make some WP7 phones while MS tried to scare the competition into shelling out money by spreading FUD. So far that's worked out just as well as SCO attempts to hoodwink Linux vendors.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Because choosing android would be like the finnish boy who pissed in his pants for warmth.

Seriously, choosing Android OS make you a commodity hardware vendor with little to distinguish yourself from the competition. And as just one of the many vendors, you wouldn't get any attention from Google regarding your own concerns.

Careful with the Finnish joke. You may get hit with crap from jfanning and whats it's name.

I had a nerve to mock them, and got lots of vile from them.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Careful with the Finnish joke. You may get hit with crap from jfanning and whats it's name.

Excuse me? What is your problem. You are the one that has an issue with factual history, not me.

Don't worry, I'm sure the moderators will ignore your bullshit post like usual.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

As a finn, I'd say xsu's pun was spot on.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 28 of 30
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    There's some real leaps of logic here. I highly doubt Apple and Nokia will make peace over a mutual dislike of Android. Only fanboys think that way. Business operators do not.

That's a lot like morons who think that Oracle is out to kill Android. They are not. They just want a piece of the pie.

And there's zero proof that Nokia picked WP7 because of Android's patent problems. Several Nokia execs have specifically said, that it was the lack of opportunity to differentiate their brand that compelled them to go with Windows Phone 7 (though for the life of me, I can't figure out how an OS with even more rigid rules will let you differentiate yourself better...but whatever). I have not seen a single statement from a Nokia employee that they went with Windows Phone 7 because of Android's patent troubles. If somebody's got links, I'd like to see them....otherwise, this seems like FUD to me.

Personally, I think Nokia could have created a terrific Android platform. They could have been the OEM that actually does updates on time. And the transition would have been easier since Android operates a lot like Symbian. More so than WP7. And they could have worked in their ecosystem much better. Nokia phones could have come pre-installed with Ovi Maps, Ovi Store, etc. That would have been the differentiator....keeping their Nokia brand inside the Android ecosystem. Instead, they're now trying to merge their ecosystem with Microsoft's...all this and they didn't even get exclusivity from Microsoft. That's some huge risks they are taking. Good luck to them.

And then there's the inconsistency between saying WP7 is not a threat to Apple because it was DOA, yet it could prove to be a major competitor to Android. That does not make sense. These are all smartphone platforms. And they all compete with each other. Every Android sale is one that didn't go to RIM, Nokia, Apple, HP or Microsoft. Likewise, every iPhone sale, is a loss of opportunity for the others. And while iOS users are loyal, Android users are not too far behind in that department. This means the battle is on for new users. So how then can it be said, that somebody who takes up WP7 is a threat to Android but not a threat to iOS? Some real fanboy logic at work here....
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

Android will not weather the storm. I know everyone thinks I'm crazy but it has no roots or reason to stick around.

And here's why you're wrong:

Quote:

The thing that keeps me tied to my iPhone and pretty much insures my next phone will be an iPhone too is that I can keep using my apps. A few hundred dollars in apps is a huge investment to have to throw away just to gain a few new features in a new platform.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You think people who are now using Android and have bought and paid for apps (and despite all the talk about Android users being slow to take up paid apps....the vast majority do actually buy apps on occassion), will want to switch away from Android?

Quote:

It's not just the apps, its the content and settings and just comfort feeling I get using them.

And that's often been my argument. Generally speaking, I really don't find too much difference between iOS and Android or even Symbian for that matter. The similarities are far greater than the differences (most touchscreen OS' have similar UI principles). However, if you are used to using a certain platform, it will be hard to switch. Personally, as much as I like the the stability and smoothness of iOS, I can't see myself switching from Android because of the features that I like and use everyday: widgets, notification blind, the browser...all better than iOS. But that's what I am used to. Conversely, I am sure iOS users have reasons why they stick with iOS.

Aside from that, if you use Google's services like GMail, Google Talk or Google Maps, why would you even bother with anything other than Android? Compare Maps on iOS (developed by Apple) with Google Maps on Android (developed by Google). On the other hand, Apple's ecosystem for entertainment products is top-notch, whereas Google is non-existent on that front (no music/movie store). So if you are a huge music lover, perhaps iTunes might hold more importance to you than GMail.

Quote:

Eventually MS/Nokia will be able to do what google can't - control their ecosystem.

Google has issue with OS updates. But they control the ecosystem quite well. The best and most used Android apps come from Google. And despite the push by various parties to have their own app stores, the most popular app store by far, remains the Android Market.

Quote:

By building an app store that they can control and providing stable long supported phones that can run those apps they can effectively create a virtual lock-in for their customers.

Comments like this belie your ignorance. They had an App store on Symbian. The Ovi Store.

It was absolutely horrendous because of fragmentation. People who talk about fragmentation on Android have no clue what real fragmentation looks like. Whereas the vast majority of apps in the Android market work on the vast, vast majority of Android phones. This was not the case with Symbian and Ovi. Some apps worked on touchscreen phones. Some on keyboard phones. Some on only certain specific models and in certain specific region. It was an absolutely irritating mess. Anybody who used a Nokia Symbian can tell you all about the problems with the store.

This time around, they aren't even building their own app store. They're basically adopting the Windows model.

What I find odd in their decision, is that it comes after their insistence that they needed to maintain their own OS to control their own destiny (the peeing in the pants comment). After all that they said, they went out and adopted a 3rd party OS....after insisting that moving away from the vertically integrated model would be a bad idea.

Quote:

It won't happen today but in time MS will do what MS does well... and in its borg like style it will consume a huge chunk of the mobile market. Nokia is actually lucky enough to get to come along for the ride.

Or MS could be the millstone around Nokia's neck. A year and a half transition? Who the hell is going to buy a Nokia smartphone in the next year and a half if you know that the OS on the phone is not going to supported here on in? And given the fact that Symbian has a look and feel closer to Android and iOS than WP7's Metro UI, I am stunned that they think their massive user base is going to convert en masse to WP7 at a whim. I am predicting huge gains for iOS and Android out of this.

But for Microsoft....yeah...they're getting a lot more out of this deal. Far more than Nokia is.