Briefly: AT&T loyalty minutes, shareholder proposal, Verizon iPhone traffic

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I've got over 10,000 rollover minutes (family plan). I don't need anymore. How about free tethering and the lifting of the arbitrary no facetime over 3G etc?

I'd also not like to be raped getting a new phone after one year. With the family plan, the primary account holder is eligible for a new iPhone each year, but the secondary holder is not. So the wife and I have been paying for one at normal price and one at the higher "rape me" rate.

Sheldon

I've upgraded both mine and my wifes every year at the competitive rates. I'm not sure what is going on with yours, but I've been present on day one every time.

LanPhantom
  • Reply 22 of 37
    This rollover bonus is pretty clever. Each recipient gets 1000 minutes to use calling people on other carriers to run up THEIR minutes. Equally, the mobile-to-mobile plan is very efficient at using other people's minutes at no cost to the ATT customer. Wonder if the ATT m-2-m plan also covers incoming calls from other mobile carriers. Verizon better get a similar plan working soon.

-------

AT&T rollover

Reports emerged Friday that AT&T is offering 1000 rollover minutes as a customer appreciation promotion. Though initial reports suggested that the offer was only for iPhone customers near the end of their contracts, numerous AT&T customers without iPhones claim to have been approved for the bonus minutes.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbiker View Post

This rollover bonus is pretty clever. Each recipient gets 1000 minutes to use calling people on other carriers to run up THEIR minutes.

Then you get people like me who have 450 minutes a month and use maybe 20 minutes. I'm already at the roll-over max. sigh
  • Reply 24 of 37
    LOL, yeah and people like me on Verizon... with an old Alltel plan. I have 21 phone numbers plugged into my account, that I can change anytime I want online that I get to call anytime of day or night that reflects (0) usage of minutes!
  • Reply 25 of 37
    http://labs.chitika.com/iZone/ estimates Verizon traffic to be 4%. Based on how many AT&T iphones there are in the US, what would be a good estimate of Verizon iphones ?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbiker View Post

This rollover bonus is pretty clever. Each recipient gets 1000 minutes to use calling people on other carriers to run up THEIR minutes. Equally, the mobile-to-mobile plan is very efficient at using other people's minutes at no cost to the ATT customer. Wonder if the ATT m-2-m plan also covers incoming calls from other mobile carriers. Verizon better get a similar plan working soon.

no, it doesn't use up the minutes on other carriers. Unless I'm mistaken, the unlimited m2m minutes apply only for calls between AT&T subscribers.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Rape is an over the top sentiment. It sounds as if you don't understand what you are agreeing to.

When you get an iPhone under contract you are paying $200/$300 in exchange for a two year contract. If you don't want the contract or the "rape" as you call it you are free to pay the full $700/$800 price of a contract free phone. You will be free to upgrade phones whenever you want.

Quote:

I'd also not like to be raped getting a new phone after one year. With the family plan, the primary account holder is eligible for a new iPhone each year, but the secondary holder is not. So the wife and I have been paying for one at normal price and one at the higher "rape me" rate.

• Reply 28 of 37
    you can lower your minutes but remember, AT&T only lets you keep as many rollover minutes as the new LOWER plan you select.

10000 rollover and switch to 450 minute from 1400 plan means you get to keep 450 of those minutes.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

no, it doesn't use up the minutes on other carriers. Unless I'm mistaken, the unlimited m2m minutes apply only for calls between AT&T subscribers.

The ATT unlimited mobile-to-mobile plan covers calls to mobile phone on ANY carrier.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pla...ging-plans.jsp

Unless ATT is feeling very magnanimous (and will pick up both halves of the call), each call to a non-ATT number is free only to the sending half of the connection. The receiving half will have to pay the normal rate.

DB
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

I've got over 10,000 rollover minutes (family plan). I don't need anymore. How about free tethering and the lifting of the arbitrary no facetime over 3G etc?

Sheldon

As for FaceTime, just jailbreak. You can use whatever you want over 3g with a simple app install once you've jailbroken. And as a bonus, you can have free tethering too!

As for me, 100,000 extra minutes would be useless, I'm already on unlimited. I'd much prefer a rate cut.

If it weren't for the fact that T-Mobile doesn't work with iPhone 3g data in this country, I'd switch now, since they actually charge less if you've got a fully paid for phone, and they don't require a contract if you bring your own phone.

But I don't have much sympathy on you buying a new phone every year. Why would you do that? The iPhones are well built, they easily last over two years.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    ...and here's why: Anyone who buys a phone out of contract gets screwed because they still pay the same phone rates as everyone else... which means every month they're paying for a subsidy they aren't receiving.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Rape is an over the top sentiment. It sounds as if you don't understand what you are agreeing to.

When you get an iPhone under contract you are paying $200/$300 in exchange for a two year contract. If you don't want the contract or the "rape" as you call it you are free to pay the full $700/$800 price of a contract free phone. You will be free to upgrade phones whenever you want.

• Reply 32 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

...and here's why: Anyone who buys a phone out of contract gets screwed because they still pay the same phone rates as everyone else... which means every month they're paying for a subsidy they aren't receiving.

Sometimes It's not a complete all-or nothing on the subsidy, I recall there being three prices for a given iPhone, unsubsidized, maximum subsidized and one that's about half the subsidy for when you're between half way and full way of your upgrade eligibility. There is an apparent unawareness of this subsidy process, people seem to demand the advertised subsidized price every year. There's two sides to that fault, the carrier subsidy process is too opaque and confusing, but customers seem to play needlessly dumb to the very existence of the subsidy system.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sometimes It's not a complete all-or nothing on the subsidy, I recall there being three prices for a given iPhone, unsubsidized, maximum subsidized and one that's about half the subsidy for when you're between half way and full way of your upgrade eligibility. There is an apparent unawareness of this subsidy process, people seem to demand the advertised subsidized price every year. There's two sides to that fault, the carrier subsidy process is too opaque and confusing, but customers seem to play needlessly dumb to the very existence of the subsidy system.

The subsidy repayment should be a line item on the monthly bill which goes away once the subsidy has been paid off. I believe this is how it works in some other countries. Then you would only be pay for your monthly plan. The carriers could also eliminate ETFs by simply billing for the balance of the subsidy.

Of course, this makes too much sense and will never happen as it does not advantage the carrier.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Just called AT&T. Given that they have started this new program of unlimited to any mobile number i dropped down on my minutes as the rollover was getting kind of big. Found out that on the Loyalty minutes are only for those who received the text. If you just responded to the text, then you will not get them. Anyone hear anything different? Also, I was told that the mobile unlimited to any mobile is free for 6 months then you pay $30 a month. Anyone hear of that? Thanks in advance for replies.

Rod
  • Reply 35 of 37
    We've lived with horrible AT&T signal strength at our house since switching to get the iPhone. Two weeks ago they mailed an offer for a totally free microcell to improve our reception. If we leave AT&T within a year we just have to give it back, no other cost or contract. I'm sure it was totally a coincidence that this arrived at the same time as the Verizon iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

What relevance does this have to the topic of the article?

The sum of the percentages in the article add up to 100%. That's for Verizon and AT&T. That means no one in the US is running their iPhone on any other carrier. I know this isn't the case, since my iPhone 4 doesn't run on either network.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrcx3 View Post

The sum of the percentages in the article add up to 100%. That's for Verizon and AT&T. That means no one in the US is running their iPhone on any other carrier. I know this isn't the case, since my iPhone 4 doesn't run on either network.

I can think of two possible reasons, they might not be looking for them, and if they were, there might not be enough to make it significant relative to the carrier locked phones. The newest article I can find that discussed jailbreak percentages was two years ago.