Samsung could supply superior 'PLS' display for future Apple iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iPad could trade its "In-Plane Switching" (IPS) display for a new "Super Plane to Line Switching" (PLS) display for improved viewing angles, according to a new report.

Citing industry sources, a new report from The Korea Times claims that Samsung Mobile Display will supply LCD panels for Apple's anticipated "iPad 2." Apple currently buys LCD panels from a number of companies, including LG Display and others, but that is "expected to change because of the LCD panel's unit price," the report said.

Last November, Samsung first unveiled its new "Super PLS" displays, and the panels have reportedly gained the attention of Apple. The report said that Apple has shown interest in Super PLS LCDs, which are geared toward smartphones and tablets, and allow for even more improved viewing angles than the IPS display found in the first-generation iPad.

However, the report stopped short of stating that Apple is interested in using a Super PLS display in its second-generation touchscreen tablet. It only said that Apple has shown interest in the new technology.

The display of Apple's next-generation iPad, widely expected to be released in the coming months, has been the subject of a great deal of discussions as rumors about the still-unannounced device grow. In January it was suggested that Apple could quadruple the pixels from the current iPad to a 2,048-by-1,536 display, giving the device a "Retina Display" like the iPhone 4.

But other reports have cast doubt on those rumors, suggesting that the power required to run a display at that high of a resolution would result in too poor a battery life for the device. It has been suggested that the next-generation iPad will instead retain its 1,024-by-768-pixel resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I just had a play with my iPad and I don't really see how the viewing angles could get much better, but ok, if they're the same price I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I just had a play with my iPad and I don't really see how the viewing angles could get much better, but ok, if they're the same price I guess.

I want to be able to see the screen clearly with a 270 degree viewing option!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I'd prefer a smaller viewing angle so my fellow commuters can't see how bad I am at angry birds.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I think he made a mistake in the end where says that power requirements would be too great in a doubled Rez display. That's not the case. What has been said, and is true, is that the gpu requirements would be too great for four times the pixels. Even a dual core gpu might not be enough, and Apple might have to go for the quad core version Sony is using for its new psp phone. Power requirements for such a high Rez display would be more, but most of the display's power needs come from the backlight, even with LEDs.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

You want a holographic screen then. You won't get one in iPad2, but perhaps in a future model. Let the rumors begin!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'd prefer a smaller viewing angle so my fellow commuters can't see how bad I am at angry birds.

Heh heh! Finished the game. Waiting for another update.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I hear that. Damn those little green pigs grinning at me.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Why would you want even more people looking at your pron?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The guy sitting next to you in coach disagrees
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

That's what Game Center is for!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    What I would most like on the iPad2 would be a screen like the one on my Raymarine E-120 Chartplotter. It can easily be read in bright sunlight, as well as in darkness, and it is 12" diagonal in size. Why not a smaller version in the iPad, or does it use too much power, weigh too much, etc.?

**Freddy
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think he made a mistake in the end where says that power requirements would be too great in a doubled Rez display. That's not the case. What has been said, and is true, is that the gpu requirements would be too great for four times the pixels. Even a dual core gpu might not be enough, and Apple might have to go for the quad core version Sony is using for its new psp phone. Power requirements for such a high Rez display would be more, but most of the display's power needs come from the backlight, even with LEDs.

I agree to a point, but the more powerful the processor and GPU, then the more power these require, especially during high resolution gaming. If you look at very high end gaming graphics cards for PCs, you find they need additional power connections directly to the Power Supply Unit as the standard bus cannot provide enough power.

If you look at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,2122-6.html you get an idea of the difference that more powerful GPUs make to power consumption.

Phil
  • Reply 13 of 21
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple already uses too many parts from Samsung. Apple should not be too dependent on one supplier especially when Samsung is making iPhone and iPad competing products.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Apple already uses too many parts from Samsung. Apple should not be too dependent on one supplier especially when Samsung is making iPhone and iPad competing products.

No doubt samsung makes more money supplying apple than they do on their own devices.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

Don't worry. I'm sure Apple can handle it.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Spinal Tap says PLS goes all the way to 181. There's only an extra 1 degree either way on top of the 178 degree IPS display, I don't think viewing angle range is what PLS is for. It says on electronista it's for brightness at different viewing angles:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ement.on.lcds/

Also overall brightness and 15% cost reduction. Maximum resolution is 1280 x 800 so iPad resolution stays the same. The cost reduction probably won't translate to an iPad price reduction but possibly if it's combined with lower cost of the body using liquid metal.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Maybe you should email Apple with your insights? Because I'm sure they have absolutely no idea what they're doing in this regard, and their decisions are probably completely spontaneous, and not based on thousands of hours of research and negotiations.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I am thinking Gruber (Daring Fireball) is right, that what is coming soon is just a refresh to the current iPad in order to stave off the few advantages competitors may have (cameras, etc.). Think of it as iPad 1.5. The real iPad 2 will come in the fall in time for back-to-school or later for the holiday season. It just makes sense that new iPad models should come once a year in the fall when most buying occurs, not in the spring.

I also think they will not use numbers or sub names (nano, mini, pro, etc.) to distinguish updated versions. I think it will first just be the iPad, (early 2011 version), and then the iPad (late 2011 version). The boxes will just say iPad. Apple likes to keep product lines as simple as possible.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

... I also think they will not use numbers or sub names (nano, mini, pro, etc.) to distinguish updated versions. I think it will first just be the iPad, (early 2011 version), and then the iPad (late 2011 version). The boxes will just say iPad. Apple likes to keep product lines as simple as possible.

I agree the name will remain just iPad unless Apple decides to keep the original version in the product line at a lower price like they have done with iPhones. If Apple keeps the original version of the iPad in the product line will convince me that Apple truly considers the iPad a consumer product and not a computer product.

Consumer products are normally kept as active products until the demand drops substantially. Computer products are different in that once a new upgraded version is announced typically the old version is no longer available.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

The report said that Apple has shown interest in Super PLS LCDs, which are geared toward smartphones and tablets, and allow for even more improved viewing angles than the IPS display found in the first-generation iPad.

How much can you improve the viewing angle? On my iPad as it stands, I can clearly see the text on the screen to the point where if it were a paper book I would not be able to read it due to the viewing angle distortion. Sounds like a really unneeded 'improvement'. What next - will we be able to see the screen when we are looking at the rear of the iPad?