Apple distracts from Mobile World Congress as 'iPhone nano' rumors continue

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A third major publication reported on Monday that Apple is working on a new, smaller, cheaper iPhone set for release this year, as the handset maker continues to steal thunder from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona -- a show it is not even attending.

The U.K.'s Daily Mail reported on Monday that Apple is working on a "smaller version of the iPhone 4" which will be released separately from the iPhone 5 this summer. The story, citing anonymous sources close to the company, follows similar reports last week from Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal.

The latest report restated much of what had been revealed in previous stories, including the fact that Apple apparently intends to sell the device at a low $200 price point without a contract or carrier subsidy. That would be a major discount from the current iPhone, which has an average selling price of $625.

"Phone users on tighter budgets have been shunning the pricey iPhones in favour of less expensive models which have Google's popular Android software," the report said. "Apple will now hope to lure away customers from the likes of Nokia."

As in previous filings, an anonymous tipster claims to have seen the prototype, said to be about a third smaller than the iPhone 4. The person reportedly said that the early version of the device had no "home" button, and cautioned that the device could be delayed or scrapped.

The publication also reaffirmed that Apple has also worked on new iPhone software and hardware that would let customers choose a network directly from their handset, bypassing the carriers even more.

The flood of information and rumors about Apple's next iPhone arrived just as the Mobile World Congress got underway in Barcelona, Spain. Though Apple is not participating in the annual mobile device event, the company has once again stolen the spotlight, as noted by The Wall Street Journal.

"The long shadow cast over Barcelona comes from the company not exhibiting there," Altimeter Group analyst Michael Gartenberg wrote on Twitter. "That's now become common."

In 2009, the iPhone dominated the talk of the Mobile World Congress as the iPhone continued to gain steam. And last year again, Apple was in the spotlight even as competitors attempted to hype their own would-be "iPhone killers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A third major publication reported on Monday that Apple is working on a new, smaller, cheaper iPhone set for release this year, as the handset maker continues to steal thunder from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona -- a show it is not even attending.

The U.K.'s Daily Mail reported on Monday that Apple is working on a "smaller version of the iPhone 4" which will be released separately from the iPhone 5 this summer. The report, citing anonymous sources close to the company, follows similar reports last week from Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal.

The report restated much of what had been revealed in previous reports, including the fact that Apple apparently intends to sell the device at a low $200 price point without a contract or carrier subsidy. That would be a major discount from the current iPhone, which has an average selling price of $625.

"Phone users on tighter budgets have been shunning the pricey iPhones in favour of less expensive models which have Google's popular Android software," the report said. "Apple will now hope to lure away customers from the likes of Nokia."

As in previous reports, an anonymous tipster claims to have seen the prototype, said to be about a third smaller than the iPhone 4. The person reportedly said that the early version of the device had no "home" button, and cautioned that the device could be delayed or scrapped.

The report also reaffirmed that Apple has also worked on new iPhone software and hardware that would let customers choose a network directly from their handset, bypassing the carriers even more.

The flood of information and rumors about Apple's next iPhone arrived just as the Mobile World Congress got underway in Barcelona, Spain. Though Apple is not participating in the annual mobile device event, the company has once again stolen the spotlight, as noted by The Wall Street Journal.

"The long shadow cast over Barcelona comes from the company not exhibiting there," Altimeter Group analyst Michael Gartenberg wrote on Twitter. "That's now become common."

In 2009, the iPhone dominated the talk of the Mobile World Congress as the iPhone continued to gain steam. And last year again, Apple was in the spotlight even as competitors attempted to hype their own would-be "iPhone killers."

• Reply 2 of 57
    Is there some "Thunder" meter we can view to see if your BS is true?

Maybe its web based, and hopefully not written in Flash so you can view it on your iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    A smaller iPhone in terms of screen size makes no sense. I've played with some handsets running Android that have smaller screens and they are shite.

I could see Apple releasing a cheaper iPhone using previous years tech with less ram etc, that would sell well..... Oh wait, Apple already does that with the iPhone 3GS!

Maybe I will be proved wrong, but Steve Job's was clear on the fact that Tablets need a 10" or higher screen, I'm pretty sure they researched the size of an optimal phone screen and settled on what we use today.

Doesn't make sense, at least not to me.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

is there some "thunder" meter we can view to see if your bs is true?

Maybe its web based, and hopefully not written in flash so you can view it on your iphone/ipad.

^

<3
  • Reply 5 of 57
    another lame and click baiting article.

cause the clicks pay the bills at AI.

*yawn*

• Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Is there some "Thunder" meter we can view to see if your BS is true?

Maybe its web based, and hopefully not written in Flash so you can view it on your iPhone/iPad.

I would have to agree. I would venture to say that this article was written in response to the overwhelming presence of Android at MWC. From the pictures I've seen from various tech blogs, there's a very healthy turn-out and it seems many of them are excited by the tech being offered, especially the tablets.

Pricing aside, of course.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I think there's enough thunder at MWC that someone stealing a bit won't make much difference.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

A smaller iPhone in terms of screen size makes no sense. I've played with some handsets running Android that have smaller screens and they are shite.

I could see Apple releasing a cheaper iPhone using previous years tech with less ram etc, that would sell well..... Oh wait, Apple already does that with the iPhone 3GS!

Maybe I will be proved wrong, but Steve Job's was clear on the fact that Tablets need a 10" or higher screen, I'm pretty sure they researched the size of an optimal phone screen and settled on what we use today.

Doesn't make sense, at least not to me.

I don't think the screen size will be changed. but a no retina display plus removal of gyroscopes and GPS as well as no wifi won't need such a big battery anymore and everything together leaves room to miniaturize.

Here what it may look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOptnFNgQo
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'm pretty sure they researched the size of an optimal phone screen and settled on what we use today.

They could keep screen size the same and still make a phone 1/3 smaller just by eliminating the home button, and shrinking top and bottom bezels.

But I wonder then how they would avoid cannibalizing sales of the bigger iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Ahh the Apple rumor mill. Always working at its best when needed. How to steal the thunder on a show that you are not even participating...

I bet you the other manufactorers are wetting their pants as we speak drowning their fears with lotsa Cava.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I don't think the screen size will be changed. but a no retina display plus removal of gyroscopes and GPS as well as no wifi won't need such a big battery anymore and everything together leaves room to miniaturize.

I think it does not make sense to remove anything that iPod Touch already has (that sells for $200 without contract So, Retina, gyroscope, wifi will be there for sure. Maybe no GPS and mediocre cameras.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Wouldn't this fall into the same territory that we all criticize Android for, namely fragmentation of app development? Developers would need to consider 3 different screen sizes when they develop their apps. Unless, instead of a 2x button, there's a 0.5x one.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    They cant remove wifi... and GPS? My 3GS use cell towers to compute its location, it doesnt have a GPS.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    What will happen with the iPhone 4 then if this comes nano-phone comes out? The nano-phone will be less featured, an iPhone 5 will have more features. I think Apple's strategy of using last year's model as a low-end or entry level phone isn't a bad one. My co-worker bought a 3GS when the 4 came out because it was so much cheaper and readily available.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

They cant remove wifi... and GPS? My 3GS use cell towers to compute its location, it doesnt have a GPS.

3G doesn't have a GPS chip, but I believe the 3GS does.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

It does.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

It does.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Here at MWC everybody is talking about the WSJ scoop and Appleinsider article

/sarcasm off
  • Reply 19 of 57
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

3G also does
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I think it does not make sense to remove anything that iPod Touch already has (that sells for $200 without contract So, Retina, gyroscope, wifi will be there for sure. Maybe no GPS and mediocre cameras.

The iPod Touch is a great device, but it lacks a callular radio. And as lovely as the retina display is, most people won't really need it. It's beautiful but luxury.. And besides, if you want to make something so incredibly dens packed as the iPhone a little smaller, you have to make cuts.