Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    Lets go retro! physical keyboard, telescopic aerial, black and white (greyish green) LCD, 2G comms, and removable battery.

A physical keyboard will NEVER appear on an Apple iPhone or iPad.

Telepathy is more likely!

Phil
  • Reply 62 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Was alcohol involved during that site's posting?

Lots and lots of Alcohol plus a good shot of good ole tetra-hydro-cannabinole!
  • Reply 63 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm loving the TomTom GPS, but if that was on the iPad-Problem solved! I never use the video cam on my iPhone.

Just wanted to mention that Navigon is a "plus" app and as such runs on both iphone and ipad. That might have been one of the reasons I purchased that instead of Tom Tom and I have to admit that after using it for a couple of weeks that I am really enjoying GPS on my ipad. It works equally well on both devices, but the huge screen really makes it easy. Believe it or not on working on a mount for my ipad in my car. ( I now, sad) If you're curious about Navigon overall, the only thing I have to compare it too is my my garmin Nuvi and I like the iphone/ ipad navigon app better. I did have to purchase a nice head unit to make up for the lack of hands free calling, but I wanted one anyway.

My only complaint is that the volume coming out of the phone directly is too low for the highway unless you're riding in a Merc or something with similar cabin noise characteristics. So make sure you connect it to your stereo.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    I think they will introduce a slide-out keyboard BUT not for the iPhone. I think the rumored higher resolution iPad 3 will actually be a MacBook with a touchscreen, slide-out keyboard, retina display and OS X Lion.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nextstep View Post

I think they will introduce a slide-out keyboard BUT not for the iPhone. I think the rumored higher resolution iPad 3 will actually be a MacBook with a touchscreen, slide-out keyboard, retina display and OS X Lion.

• Reply 66 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Just wanted to mention that Navigon is a "plus" app and as such runs on both iphone and ipad. That might have been one of the reasons I purchased that instead of Tom Tom and I have to admit that after using it for a couple of weeks that I am really enjoying GPS on my ipad. It works equally well on both devices, but the huge screen really makes it easy. Believe it or not on working on a mount for my ipad in my car. ( I now, sad) If you're curious about Navigon overall, the only thing I have to compare it too is my my garmin Nuvi and I like the iphone/ ipad navigon app better. I did have to purchase a nice head unit to make up for the lack of hands free calling, but I wanted one anyway.

My only complaint is that the volume coming out of the phone directly is too low for the highway unless you're riding in a Merc or something with similar cabin noise characteristics. So make sure you connect it to your stereo.

Good to know thanks, Spliff!

Best
  • Reply 67 of 94
    My bet is that Apple will make an iPhone keyboard accessory and not a built in one.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What doesn't mess with my mind is this idea of an iPhone with a keyboard. I think it is a very real possibility. Why? It is pretty simple really, such a keyboard provides for a larger screen or view port while entering text. Such a device makes for far easier text entry and more importantly far better editing. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing those little auto correct errors after you send out a message.

More importantly the slide out keyboard doesn't have to be the fixed function device we have seen on other phones. Instead it could be a slide out LCD touch screen of sorts. This would allow Apple to continue to have one device for world wide distribution due to the nature of a soft keyboard. It would be well worth a few bucks extra at the check out counter, especially for people using their iPhones a lot for text entry. In effect you get a much larger screen in the same form factor. The issue then becomes how do you do such a keyboard without making the iPhone FAT.

Although this is not identified in the article but a slide-out physical keyboard might be the appropriate choice for a smaller, lower-cost phone.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Things have changed this last year with the phenomenal growth of Android which Apple cannot ignore.

They can't sit back content to be holding THE best top end phone, at best profit. Their single model (+last years discounted) will not cut it in the face of such diverse competition.

<snip>

I don't think a Nano or a Keyboard model is half as unlikely as some are making out.

I agree. People keep saying Apple won't do something because they have never done that before. But Apple is a much different business now that cannot rely only on creating the "next great thing". Market realities will force them to address customer segments that were previously not worth their time. I think that the rumored iPhone Nano is just such an example and I think that a slide-out keyboard may be the means to deliver a smaller form-factor with a usable keyboard.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

lower cost, lower spec, 1/3 smaller screen phone contribute little to the iOS ecosystem. If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?

Prosperity of the ecosystem depends on developers, and developers go where the money is. The number of phones Apple sells isn't really important, it's how many buyers want to buy content that's really the key.

Unless Apple figured out some really cool ways to make small screen work with the apps, I don't see it happenning.

I don't believe an iPhone Nano will necessarily have third-party apps. It will more likely be a media phone so that people can consume content. The reason is obvious - as you said, "If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?"
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

I support many "low end" users that barely can use a keyboard and they have no issues on the iphone touch screen.

But I know several "high end" users who simply will not buy a smart phone without a physical keyboard. I've tried repeated to to tell/show them that the iPhone keyboard work very well, etc. but they will not budge.

Adding a "business" model to the line that included a keyboard would make them and many, many Blackberry users more likely to switch.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I agree. People keep saying Apple won't do something because they have never done that before.

I agree. Apple makes multiple sizes and model lines for MacBooks and iPods. It makes sense for the iPhone as well.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good to know thanks, Spliff!

Navigon is a great Nav App (I have almost all of them, and it's the only one I use regularly)

Watch for sales. It was only $30 last weekend. I bet is goes on sale for president's day weekend as well.
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Although this is not identified in the article but a slide-out physical keyboard might be the appropriate choice for a smaller, lower-cost phone.

Which goes back to what we were talking about in the earlier thread. I know this is going to sound silly, but I just happened to have the ATV remote next to me and the thought occurred to me that the "stick-like" form factor and the "unibody" metal design would be a good fit for this hypothetical device. Light, thin, tapered and akin to the construction of the current iPod.

The Proportions of the remote would have to be stretched a little, but at about 3 cm wide it's as wide as the text response area is as tall on my iphone. Assuming you would hold the device horizontally when you typed, the keyboard is only lightly taller. I have no idea what the requirements would be for the screen, keyboard etc, but in theory it doesn't have to be much bigger (proportionately) than the remote and now I'm imagining a morph between my remote (Which feels pretty good up to my ear. ) an ipod nano and my phone.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liuping View Post

Navigon is a great Nav App (I have almost all of them, and it's the only one I use regularly)

Watch for sales. It was only $30 last weekend. I bet is goes on sale for president's day weekend as well.

NIce tip. I paid full price. I'll be sure to watch out for the sales in the future.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I would LOVE an iphone with a slide out keyboard, but I guess I'm in the minority.

As good as apple's virtual keyboard is, There's really no replacement for the tactile feel of actual physical keys.

Of course, I swear by model Ms and use an ABS M1 as my everyday keyboard
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's see who gets the last
  • Reply 78 of 94
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

lower cost, lower spec, 1/3 smaller screen phone contribute little to the iOS ecosystem. If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?

Prosperity of the ecosystem depends on developers, and developers go where the money is. The number of phones Apple sells isn't really important, it's how many buyers want to buy content that's really the key.

Unless Apple figured out some really cool ways to make small screen work with the apps, I don't see it happenning.

1) Apps are cheap and perceived Market share does matter.

2) a lot of money for devs comes from ads, more in the future. Market share matters there too.

3) iOS is resolution independent.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    There will never be an iPhone with a physical keyboard. Perhaps a larger or smaller screen but never a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I saw a report on Fox that the 12th iPhone prototype has a slide-out muslim from kenya. And it's all an Egyptian/AOL conspiracy to restore the caliphate. Or something like that, I was just flipping channels waiting for American Idol to come back on.

Watch out now!

The child-police will be out in full force before you know it!