Comments

• Reply 121 of 189
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Double post
  • Reply 122 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgberry View Post

I don't claim to understand or know the US tax system. But, wow. In Australia, company tax is 32%. This is a flat rate and everyone business pays it. I can't believe Apple or any company could only pay 25% tax - no wonder US national debt is so high.

In addition, personally I think that the "tax holiday" idea is just pathetic. Those companies are currently laundering money overseas - if you ask me. They should be penalised by what ever your federal gov tax agency is called.

Just my Aussie 2cents worth.

Keep in mind that because of the USA, Australia can spend FAR less on their defense than they would otherwise. You're welcome.
  • Reply 123 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

?Our philosophy is simple?when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO.

?Our philosophy is simple?You make money, we take a 30 percent share; when you make nothing, you keep 100 percent and we get nothing,? said Barak Obama, America's CEO.

Small difference. Apple has to convince you it's in your best interest to participate by helping you make money. Obama brings guns to make sure you do.
  • Reply 124 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Keep in mind that because of the USA, Australia can spend FAR less on their defense than they would otherwise. You're welcome.

1. the US tax system is confusing as heck filled with loopholes and other c***

2. Alot of their money is made overseas (though some may be illegally hidden) By our laws however, they can't bring it back which seems confusing to me why the govt. wouldn't want it coming back

3. Yeah, defense... Because of the US everyone in the world can sleep safer (except those we are fighting) because we believe ourselves to be the world's police officers and meddle in everything. Not that meddling is always bad.
  • Reply 125 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

Well, the truth of the matter is that we are all paying approximately the same percent that you are, when you include federal, state, local, property, sales tax, etc. The question is who is more likely to afford it? The person that is making minimum wage and struggling to make ends meet or the rich billionaire who can own a mansion, abandon it for 10 years to demolish it to build another house? I don't understand how anyone can defend any corporation when it comes to taxes because no corporation pays the actual amount of what they are supposed to because of all the loopholes built into the system and their ability to move their money off-shore to not pay taxes.

You can't understand it because you fundamentally misunderstand what a corporation is. It is a collection of people who will be paying taxes on every dollar they make already.
  • Reply 126 of 189
    Quote:

It's not ironic. NOBODY wants to pay more money than absolutely necessary for anything.

Thats not really true. People pay more than they have to everytime they leave a tip. You can go to almost any church for free, yet many people are happy to leave donations. People pay a shitload for Girl Scout cookies, when they can get much cheaper ones at any grocery store. People pay $8 a gallon for bottled water when they could filter a gallon of tap water for $0.10 (and then they bitch about $4 a gallon gasoline). People can be extremely generous or free spending in one area and extremely stingy or selfish in another.

The problem with taxes is most people don't feel they are going to something good, so they don't feel good about paying them. People think their donation to habitat for humanity is truly helping someone, while their tax contribution to welfare is going to waste and fraud. We have a very anti-business government, so business leaders probably don't feel real warm and fuzzy writing tax checks these days.
  • Reply 127 of 189
    ps. how much is 2 cents aussie in U.S.? Is your two cents worth less than ours? Does it make our 'two cents' more important than your's? if so, how about people in england? does a pence count as a cent? if so, is their two pence more important than both of our two cents?
  • Reply 128 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know it feels good today that 'corporations' should pay their fair share and all that.

Guess who pays all the taxes, directly or indirectly, at the end of the day.

Oh I know this one. Can I guess?
  • Reply 129 of 189
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google pays 2.4% tax on money (88% of foreign earnings) they transfer from Ireland to Bermuda via The Netherlands.

Legal yes, evil ???

Apple also uses low tax countrys to pay less tax, what is your point?
  • Reply 130 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The US seriously needs to consider fundamentally overhauling its tax system -- especially, corporate tax system -- and not just its corporate tax rate, if it has any hope of dealing with its deficits.

Oh it did! Remember when Obama created the nonpartisan deficit commission to give him a real, honest assessment of what needed to be done to fix our problems?

Remember what Obama said when they gave him what he asked for? He said, no thanks, we can't do any of THAT stuff....
  • Reply 131 of 189
    Quote:

Oh I know this one. Can I guess?

No, No pick me!
  • Reply 132 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Anyone here ever been to business school ?

The purpose of management is to exploit each employee to the greatest potential and earn a profit for the corporation.

The CFO has the obligation of finding any and every way to avoid paying anyone anything they don't have to.

From hourly wages, to benefits and corporate taxes, it's all the same. Pay as little as the law allows.

I GUARANTEE you didn't go to business school.

By the way, do you realize you just described every individual's job in society as well, as far as consuming goods and services go? Get everything he can for the best price possible without doing anything illegal. I'm guessing that you, KC, Mr. Business School, don't shop around for the grocery with the highest prices for your staples, do you? DO YOU?
  • Reply 133 of 189
    Quote:

Oh it did! Remember when Obama created the nonpartisan deficit commission to give him a real, honest assessment of what needed to be done to fix our problems?

Remember what Obama said when they gave him what he asked for? He said, no thanks, we can't do any of THAT stuff....

But we can do a completely unrelated thing with health care that will add an essentially 30% tax on all healthcare minimum and do lots of other things to mess with the tax code! wait, 30%, where have I heard that before?
  • Reply 134 of 189
    Quote:

I GUARANTEE you didn't go to business school.

By the way, do you realize you just described every individual's job in society as well, as far as consuming goods and services go? Get everything he can for the best price possible without doing anything illegal. I'm guessing that you, KC, Mr. Business School, don't shop around for the grocery with the highest prices for your staples, do you? DO YOU?

The purpose of society is to prevent people from dying (intrinsically). The purpose of the economy (intrinsically) is to make sure people get what they need so they dont die. Business is just fluff. But yes, that economic idea does seem to take an idealistic view of everyone else in society who is not a cfo.
  • Reply 135 of 189
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple also uses low tax countrys to pay less tax, what is your point?

Yeah... Low tax country as in Nevada USA?
  • Reply 136 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

If you think simply throwing money at a complex problem will make it go away, and that there are no costs in trying to do so, yes it makes you unintelligent.

I'll even back that off a bit. If you do all that, in the face of overwhelming historical and worldwide evidence that you are wrong, then yes, you're dumb.
  • Reply 137 of 189
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

No, like Ireland
  • Reply 138 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

No, more like Singapore. (Which, btw, is perhaps where a lot of the US tech corporate money is parked.)
  • Reply 139 of 189
    Come on! Just bring it home and pay the taxes. They's got over $50 billion. Is that just at home? We could use some of the money the taxes would bring.
  • Reply 140 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google pays 2.4% tax on money (88% of foreign earnings) they transfer from Ireland to Bermuda via The Netherlands.

Legal yes, evil ???

how is that evil? the govt. should get nothing if the money is made on foreign land. why should they get taxed twice? it's a concept i never understand; what's the logic for paying taxes on money made in countries? i am glad the corporations keep the money away from these greedy liberals and so-called conservatives.