Apple's 'Safe Deposit Box' could offer file security with cloud backup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It sounds just like a secure version of the current iDisk though, which is far too slow to be useful for most users at the moment.

If I throw a file into a synced iDisk now, it takes hours sometimes to upload to the cloud and be available on my other devices. Everyone else I know (in my country) has the same problem.

iDisk and MobileMe might be fast for those of you living in California USA, but it's a giant suckage for many others. (and yes, I have high-speed broadband and live in a giant city with all mod-cons, etc.)

Its slow anywhere - the problem is their servers and webdav.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Physically, yes. Legally, no. No government agency would be allowed access to it without the same warrant they'd need to search your home comupter.

Not true.

If the server is in the USA, then Homeland security has access. They don't need a warrant, and the reality of this has been established many times over the last few years.

In the USA, internet watches you!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncertain View Post

This is a wonderful idea. I use dropbox for stuff I wouldn't be concerned about if someone got access to, but I'm not confident enough to use it for something like my multi-page listing of user names and passwords for the dozens of sites I visit. I would definitely trust Apple's lock box for things like this. And being able to access it from another computer away from home would be icing on the cake. Can't wait for this!

I don't see why you shouldn't trust DropBox. They use Amazon Cloud Storage for their online hosting platform (very reliable), encrypt each file with 256-bit encryption so that their own employees cannot read them, and also encrypt session traffic to their servers with SSL.

It's also cross-platform, which is highly useful to me since I have Macs at home and Windows boxes at work.

For me the difference will be the amount of storage you get. Dropbox gives you 2GB for free, 50GB for $10 a month and 100GB for $20 a month. Apple's pricing will be what I will be watching.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Just buy DropBox already... And Make It Mac-Only!
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not true.

If the server is in the USA, then Homeland security has access. They don't need a warrant, and the reality of this has been established many times over the last few years.

In the USA, internet watches you!

As long as your files are actually encrypted then this should not be a problem for anyone. Even with access to the files themselves, government types would be hard-pressed to decrypt 256-bit AES-encrypted files any time soon. It's the same encryption they mandate for their own sensitive information.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncertain View Post

This is a wonderful idea. I use dropbox for stuff I wouldn't be concerned about if someone got access to, but I'm not confident enough to use it for something like my multi-page listing of user names and passwords for the dozens of sites I visit. I would definitely trust Apple's lock box for things like this. And being able to access it from another computer away from home would be icing on the cake. Can't wait for this!

Multipage listing of usernames and passwords? Try 1password.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

seemless--integrated--ecosystem

its got to work for my mom, i can geek it out but the average person doesn't even backup...

Agreed, Nofeer. This is the main reason for Apple doing it. A "safe" icon on your desktop says it all. I think it is a brilliant idea lost on the more tech savvy people on these boards!

It's not the biggest innovation Apple has ever done but like the momentary display of the what you are typing when putting in a password on your iphone, it is brilliant and helpful!

Best
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

what are the odds of losing your machine(s) and an Enterprise data center at the same moment?

strong encryption and geographical diversity are trivial.. getting users to use a good password is the weakest link in the chain.

It's not trivial from Apple's point of view, because those are the things they will be held responsible for. While losing their data center is a low probability event, the consequences would be horrible for them PR-wise. Sure, the *proportion* of people who lose their data at the same time that Apple's data center bites the dust might be small, but the absolute *number* could be large enough to result in a very damaging wave of complaints.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple seem to be becoming a bit of a Not Invented Here company - something which harmed them back in the day. They would be better off buying DropBox and using the clearly brilliant engineers there and this patent holder can add encryption.

The "can be bought out" attitude actually encourages developers. I know of many a startup - even university funded startups - which build their exit strategies around Google buyouts - not IPOs

Needless tosay they stick with Android.

I think you're way, way off the mark here. Frankly, I think Apple is the exact opposite of what you describe.

Apple buys out little firms all the time. It's their preferred form of acquisition. They might not make a big deal about it, but they do it. And, in fact, that's how they acquired many of their critical technologies today, including iTunes, their on-line store, many of their pro apps, the A4, and OS X itself.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think you're way, way off the mark here. Frankly, I think Apple is the exact opposite of what you describe.

Apple buys out little firms all the time. It's their preferred form of acquisition. They might not make a big deal about it, but they do it. And, in fact, that's how they acquired many of their critical technologies today, including iTunes, their on-line store, many of their pro apps, the A4, and OS X itself.

Next? That's going back 16 years.

In reality they buy very little relative to their cash reserves. No need to go mad, but no need to compete with dropbox.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:

what are the odds of losing your machine(s) and an Enterprise data center at the same moment?

strong encryption and geographical diversity are trivial.. getting users to use a good password is the weakest link in the chain.

So I guess I shouldn't buy the house I was looking at right next door to apple's new data center.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like how Patently Apple got zero recognition for bringing this to your attention.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Sounds just like drop box. I use it all of the time. I can't see how this could be a patent...
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

"Secure Remote" is an oxymoron. As soon as your most valuable data is on a remote server, people unknown to you (administrators, government) have access to it.

For the average user (they can't even spell backup) it's their photos and mp3's and a few docs the write for school work etc. No one is interested but the owner...really.

You're not the target for backup solutions like this.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Next? That's going back 16 years.

In reality they buy very little relative to their cash reserves. No need to go mad, but no need to compete with dropbox.

Next was only one example that I listed (talk about manipulative, selective quoting!), but is illustrative that the modern apple is arguably founded on getting new tech from small acquisitions.

A few more recent acquisitions include Quattro Wireless (now iAds), PA Semi (ultimate product as yet unclear), Intrinsity (A4), and La la (ultimate product as yet unclear).

Also, Apple's recent axing of their server lineup and usage of non-Apple hardware for data centers, is more evidence that the modern Apple is about as far from NIH syndrome as you can get.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Next was only one example that I listed (talk about manipulative, selective quoting!), but is illustrative that the modern apple is arguably founded on getting new tech from small acquisitions.

A few more recent acquisitions include Quattro Wireless (now iAds), PA Semi (ultimate product as yet unclear), Intrinsity (A4), and La la (ultimate product as yet unclear).

Also, Apple's recent axing of their server lineup and usage of non-Apple hardware for data centers, is more evidence that the modern Apple is about as far from NIH syndrome as you can get.

So 4 then, and thats all I know too. This is pretty much off-topic, but Google buy lots more than that in any given year and probably in any given month. Also modern Apple didnt buy NEXT, old Apple bought NEXT.

And ar we sure about the use of non-Apple hardware in data centres?

Lets just say Apple should buy dropbox - dropbox is very very good and massively better than iDisk, the costs of doing things yourself can add up.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

My odds?

A 100 million times less than the odds of it happening to somebody across the entire iOS network.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Apple seem to be becoming a bit of a Not Invented Here company - something which harmed them back in the day. They would be better off buying DropBox and using the clearly brilliant engineers there and this patent holder can add encryption.

The "can be bought out" attitude actually encourages developers. I know of many a startup - even university funded startups - which build their exit strategies around Google buyouts - not IPOs

Needless tosay they stick with Android.

You say Apple is becoming a "bit of a Not Invented Here company". Then you suggest they should buy DropBox instead of developing from the ground up. I like your logic
  • Reply 39 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

You say Apple is becoming a "bit of a Not Invented Here company". Then you suggest they should buy DropBox instead of developing from the ground up. I like your logic

The laugh is on you.

NIH refers to someone who won't use anything NIH. (This applies equally well to The NIH.)
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Dropbod is good and I would be stoked if Apple absorbed them.

1Password is really awesome and is probably my most used app. Apple should also do something with the guys and girls there. They are more Apple than Cupertino sometimes :-)