Price reductions on Apple's 3G iPad in UK fuel rumors of iPad 2 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dubbs View Post

Is anyone else sorta helplessly angry with the long silence from Apple? Every other day we're hearing about some awesome tablet from Moto, Samsung, etc. And the entire time Apple is just like :| nothing.

Sort of like when your spouse or significant other gives you the silent treatment, eh?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Sort of like when your spouse or significant other gives you the silent treatment, eh?

Lol yeah I indeed thought of that passive-aggressive behavior as I was typing that out
  • Reply 23 of 29
    [QUOTE=wega58;1812906]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

All of my California stores show 3-5 day in-store shipment. Strange!

Chicagoland area is hit and miss. Some stores in stock as "pick up now" but about 1/3rd are showing 3-5 days. could just be demand.

Apple doesn't do the same thing with iDevices as they do with the MacBook, iMac, and MacBook Pro lines. Stock is kept across the board until the new ones come out. Rarely are there stock slippages.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    not sure which rumor/FUD/vapor you are refering to but I read that the iPad 3 wold be a more of a MacBookPro concept for the iPad (i.e. high end screen, processoer, ram etc) and that the new Ipod touch would be the one you are referring to 5 inches or even 6 inches diagonally for gamers and alike to compete with games devices.

In any event if we are prepared to wait until end of 2011, we will have a lot more of menu of devices to choose from from Apple and thus get the mix we really need depending on what we need.

Quote:

I don't think the iPad 3s would be more expensive than than the 2 - isn't it rumored that they'd be a smaller device? Sorta like the Kindle 3, I think they'll be smaller as well as cheaper.

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I love it when the wife gives me the silent treatment - it's the only time I get some peace and quiet!
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Is anyone else sorta helplessly angry with the long silence from Apple? Every other day we're hearing about some awesome tablet from Moto, Samsung, etc. And the entire time Apple is just like :| nothing.

Couple that with the endless rolling-back of claims from rumors, the whole thing just seems hopeless at the moment.

Yes, we hear constant announcements from other companies but no delivery.

All puff.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two mobile carriers in the U.K. have lowered their subsidized price for Apple's first-generation iPad, fueling speculation that the company is clearing inventory in anticipation of its still-unannounced "iPad 2."

As noted by TechRadar.com, both T-Mobile and Orange have reduced their prices for the entry-level 16GB iPad with both 3G and Wi-Fi. The price drop led the publication to presume the iPad 2 could arrive "in a matter of weeks."

Orange is now selling the 3G-capable iPad for £99 with a two-year contract. The same deal has also been matched by T-Mobile U.K. for existing customers.

Those prices are significantly lower than the £199.99 Orange was charging previously for existing customers with a £25-per-month contract, or the £229.99 for new customers with a £27-per-month deal. T-Mobile's new pricing applies to existing customers with a new two-year, £25-per-month contract.

"On the other hand, the reduced price could just be Orange and T-Mobile offering customers a bargain because they're nice like that -- right?" author Kate Solomon wrote.

The first-generation Wi-Fi-only iPad launched in the U.S. in early April, before gradually expanding to other countries overseas. The 3G-capable iPad was introduced about a month later.

Apple's other iOS devices, like the iPhone, are typically given an annual refresh, which would point to an iPad 2 release in early April. But with the new discounts applied before the end of February, it could point to a device launch even sooner.

The second-generation iPad is generally expected to have at least one camera for FaceTime video chat, along with the usual internal component upgrades with more RAM, faster CPU and more graphics processing power. Other rumors have suggested an integrated Mini DisplayPort for video out, a near-field communications chip for e-wallet transactions, and a high-resolution Retina Display.

In fact, rumors have already gone beyond the unseen iPad 2 and speculation about a potential new, third iPad model for release this fall. Such a move would allow Apple to match the release of the touchscreen tablet with the company's annual iPod lineup unveiled before the holiday buying season.

If you expect the iPad2's sell price to be in the same range it has been in, you had better not expect everything to be upgraded. You won't get more memory, faster processor and a better display for the same price. As it is now the competition has trouble meeting or beating the original iPad specs at its' current price, if iPad2 specs meet or OR God forbid beat the rumored iPad killers specs then it's game over, WINNER APPLE.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Not sure I see iPad 3 being more expensive than the current iPads, but I could imagine you being right about "last years" iPad dropping to $400 and the current lineup always being the $500-700 devices.

And yes, I agree that an entry iPad at $400 would put the competition under a hell of a lot of pressure.

The iPad3 is rumored to have a "Retina display" - probably double the current resolution in addition to other updates - it will need some graphics horsepower to move 4 times the pixels. I think it may be more expensive.

Offering the current 16GB Wi-Fi iPad at $399 would be a great strategy to both pressure the competition as well as creating a lower-entry point which would bring in new customers.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

No, as they're now two sides of the same coin.

T-mobile UK and Orange UK are both owned by the same company called Everything Everywhere.

Everything Everywhere is jointly owned by Deutsche Telecom and France Telecom, the respective owners of the T-mobile and Orange trademarks.

http://everythingeverywhere.com/

Thanks for the info!

Btw, isn't the name "Everything Everywhere" a bit presumptuous?