Apple to celebrate Steve Jobs' birthday with release of new MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    The comments on this article are an embarrassment to the forums. It's like reading 5 preteens hurl abuse at each other in the YouTube comments of a Rihanna video.

IF the coincidence of the MbP refresh and Steve Jobs' birthday is deliberate (if it's even accurate!) then I am sure it wasn't Steve Jobs' idea. Why would he wait 34 years to start releasing Apple products on his birthday? It might just be a nice tip of the hat from his colleagues given his poor health at the moment. Who knows?

All I care about is what these new things will be like, and that SJ's health improves. I don't know him, I haven't worked for him, but I admire what he has done and continues to do and I benefit from his perspicacity every time I use my Mac. Stop the squabbling.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.

No. The very existence of Apple, Inc. and its continued success is a direct result of how big the guy's ego is.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really? Did he come up with a cure for some awful illness when I wasn't looking or is he still just a CEO of a tech company?

Dude get a life.

dude, if you get that awful disease first, i would bet that steve might be able to find a cure for you.

everything steve does is known by millions of people. yet, he has done it remarkably to show that the perfection is sometimes a sweetener. he has worked his life to perfect a dumb computer to mass populace. because of his persistence, normal people like you and me can enjoy the computer revolution in front of us. in his normal life, he might be an asshole, but does it matter too much?

yes, he never invented a cure any a terminal disease. but his effort to promote compute to mass populace would cause a smart kid to be a super dude to help human being to cure many diseases.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.

Dude did you read the article are do you just TROLL to the comments? Last year on his birthday Apple celebrated 10 Billion iTunes downloads and not a word of Steve's B-Day. This year the dude is out fighting for his life and the COMPANY would like to celebrate possible on his B-Day. The man is pretty private and never hear him bragging. The man is just tuned into running his company. You thinking about that other idiot Steve. Steve B.!
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

dude, if you get that awful disease first, i would bet that steve might be able to find a cure for you.

everything steve does is known by millions of people. yet, he has done it remarkably to show that the perfection is sometimes a sweetener. he has worked his life to perfect a dumb computer to mass populace. because of his persistence, normal people like you and me can enjoy the computer revolution in front of us. in his normal life, he might be an asshole, but does it matter too much?

yes, he never invented a cure any a terminal disease. but his effort to promote compute to mass populace would cause a smart kid to be a super dude to help human being to cure many diseases.

I never said he was an asshole or made any mention about his ego or lack or an ego. I don't know Steve Jobs so I don't make an attempt to judge him as a person.

However lets not jump over to fantasy land.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

YOU'RE beyond pathetic.

Good thing there is a computer for you to hide behind. This way you can call people losers and not lose any teeth in the process. I am sure you are not a brave in person.

Grow up and try and act like an adult which would include not typing something you wouldn't dare say to someone face to face.

Calling the kettle black are you
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

This is the perfect opportunity for someone to explain to me why Jobs is considered such a bad person. The guy is one of the more low-key billionaires in the world. He likes to micromanage, but that's hardly a crime. By all accounts he appears to be intensely private and family-oriented, which doesn't point to a big ego. What did he ever do that's so, so bad?

Apparently, he's successful and he doesn't apologize for it, which is more than some people here can stand

We all know what Apple without Steve Jobs looks like. It will slowly be mismanaged to death, products will take too long to reach market and underperform or under-deliver or never reach market (Taligent, Copland), and the company will go chasing Microsoft's business model like they were the Second Coming instead of focusing on what makes Apple unique.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

And not to mention, in the process he has helped make a lot for money for a lot of people, directly and indirectly. Shareholders, developers....tens of thousands of people. A $17,000 (4000 shares) investment in Apple 13 years ago has made me a millionaire+ today.....and I've even unloaded 1000 shares along the way.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    I mean this is the upmost respect and sincerity when I say that I think it's awesome and a little inspiring to learn that there's a millionaire in New Jersey who calls himself Dickprinter.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Calling the kettle black are you

LOL. No just my attempt to help him sleep tonight seeing he was so upset with my grammar. That is very important on an internet forum. Seeing he believes Steve Jobs reads forums like this and takes advice from forums like this he just wants to make us look good.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

I mean this is the upmost respect and sincerity when I say that I think it's awesome and a little inspiring to learn that there's a millionaire in New Jersey who calls himself Dickprinter.

Why, thank you. I'm just a small retail/B2B printer dude (named Richard) that has used Macs since the day I opened shop back in '89. I've always believed in the Mac and when Steve took the helm again, I saw it as an opportunity to get in on the ground floor. Some call me lucky, and in some ways I am, but I believed in Apple and Steve Jobs. My dad always told me to invest in companies I believed in. After I saw what he was doing with Pixar, I knew nothing but good could come of Apple once he was on board again. Man, am I a believer!

I guess I should give credit where credit is due.....THANK YOU MR. JOBS and get well soon! C'monnnnn $400!!!!

And thank you for the mention of respect and sincerity.....something rarely found on this board, sad to say.

RIght back atcha, Undecided!
  • Reply 72 of 99
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They're doing it to let Steve know they're thinking of him during his absence?

I like my iPad but nothing beats the combination of a Macbook Pro and an iPhone. The release of these new Air-influenced MBPs is something for Apple and Steve to be proud of.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They're doing it to let Steve know they're thinking of him during his absence?

He?s only absent on campus. He?s still acting CEO and working remotely so I assume that any release this week had his final say.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    Apple has never made Steve's birthday a selling point for consumers or tied any product introductions or promotions based on his birthday either. They should celebrate it internally and accept the messages of well-wishers, but it should never be tied to product releases.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Lets continue fighting over rumors. Its good for the hit count...
  • Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The comments on this article are an embarrassment to the forums. It's like reading 5 preteens hurl abuse at each other in the YouTube comments of a Rihanna video.

IF the coincidence of the MbP refresh and Steve Jobs' birthday is deliberate (if it's even accurate!) then I am sure it wasn't Steve Jobs' idea. Why would he wait 34 years to start releasing Apple products on his birthday? It might just be a nice tip of the hat from his colleagues given his poor health at the moment. Who knows?

All I care about is what these new things will be like, and that SJ's health improves. I don't know him, I haven't worked for him, but I admire what he has done and continues to do and I benefit from his perspicacity every time I use my Mac. Stop the squabbling.

Agree 100%. Very well said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apparently, he's successful and he doesn't apologize for it, which is more than some people here can stand

We all know what Apple without Steve Jobs looks like. ...

Amen to that. I thought my crash-prone PowerBook 5300 might be the last Apple product I'd ever own, but then Steve Jobs came back in '97 and the rest is history.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsk173 View Post

Agree 100%. Very well said.

Amen to that. I thought my crash-prone PowerBook 5300 might be the last Apple product I'd ever own, but then Steve Jobs came back in '97 and the rest is history.

This is the first time I have come to AI and felt as if I had stumbled on to a liberal Grade 3 blog.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

I second that emotion!

Whatever his faults may be, Steve Jobs runs a tight ship and is irreplaceable.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He will never be called a tight wad, by his staff. The man pays exceptionally well and expects quality in return.

plenty of his staff do not seem to enjoy the money or the conditions. how many times has the crapplestore blog been taken down by apple...
  • Reply 80 of 99
    I think of Steve as the Terry Gilliam of Silicon Valley. Brilliant visionary, but probably hell to work for. The unauthorized biography "iCon" was an interesting and entertaining read. I got the impression from the book and the thousands of articles I've read over the years that Steve is not very self-aware, and hence, not very empathetic. He knows what's "right", so you should too! One major difference between Terry Gilliam and Steve Jobs, is Terry Gilliam knows he's difficult to work for, and has a sense of humor about himself. I don't think Steve is that introspective or has that sense of irony. If you don't "get it", then there's something wrong with YOU, as far as Steve's concerned. He's not intentionally cruel. He just lacks the empathy gene.

But, it's that force of will, that single-mindedness that brought Apple back from the abyss, to the top of the silicon heap, if you will. I can admire Steve from a distance, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like him very much close up.

His recent medical issues are probably an unpleasant reminder to Steve that even he is still human. I just had surgery last week and am looking at a long month of recovery. Nothing like a bunch of doctors slicing into you to make you think of your own mortality. I wish Steve well.