Apple schedules secret retail employee meeting ahead of possible media event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has asked its retail employees to sign non-disclosure agreements ahead of an all-hands meeting likely to be held later this week, AppleInsider has been told [updated with new details].

People familiar with the company's retail plans revealed that Apple employees on Monday were asked to sign non-disclosure forms. Those who did not sign are said to be excluded from the next employee meeting, expected to be held in the next week.

Those privy to Apple's brick-and-mortar businesses indicated the meeting was originally scheduled for last week. But the meeting was apparently pushed back for one week, for reasons unknown.

According to Gary Allen of ifoAppleStore.com, Apple typically holds its all-team meetings at the company's retail stores after closing on Sunday evenings.

Update: Since the initial story was filed, AppleInsider has received additional suggestions that the all-hands meeting is likely related to a new in-store initiative or service.

Numerous signs have indicated that Apple has imminent plans to refresh its MacBook Pro line of notebooks. But those products are widely believed to debut on Thursday to coincide with Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs' birthday, and prior to the expected employee meeting on Sunday.

The news of the non-disclosure agreement comes as pundit Robert X. Cringely confidently began his latest column on Monday with: "Next week Apple will have a product event." Cringely presumes the event will be used to introduce new MacBook Pro models with Intel's high-speed Light Peak technology.

But in the event that the new MacBook Pro launch occurs as expected on Thursday, the most likely subject for a presumed Apple media event would be the anticipated second-generation iPad. Numerous reports have suggested that Apple began production of the "iPad 2" in early 2011, on track for a launch by early April, which would mark one year since the first-generation device went on sale in the U.S.

The next iPad is expected to have a camera for FaceTime video chat, as well as a faster processor with more RAM and improved graphics performance. Third-party cases claimed to fit the second-generation iPad have also included space for a mystery port that could mean a built-in Mini DisplayPort for video out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    ...or it could mean that the latest refresh/unveil will actually be next Tuesday instead of Thursday. Why was this not discussed as an option? Are we that certain that it will be this week?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

...or it could mean that the latest refresh/unveil will actually be next Tuesday instead of Thursday. Why was this not discussed as an option? Are we that certain that it will be this week?

Shipping times for MacBook Pros have shifted to 3-5 days almost worldwide. If it's not this week, Apple is definitely loosing sales.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Shipping times for MacBook Pros have shifted to 3-5 days almost worldwide. If it's not this week, Apple is definitely loosing sales.

Nobody is "loosing" anything. The average Joe who doesn't follow Apple is not looking at Macbook Pros and screaming 3-5 days! Screw that.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At least that is my hope. I just see major redesigns for all of Apple product lines. One might say all the stars are in alignment!

However to be honest I'm not convinced with respect to a birthday delivery. It just seems out of character for Apple. Then again it might cheer up Steve while going through his sickness
  • Reply 5 of 46
    My vote is for the Macbook Pros to be released without a media event on Thursday and for the iPad 2 to come to market via a media event soon after.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    I hope there is a media event to usher in many new changes in MBP design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

...or it could mean that the latest refresh/unveil will actually be next Wednesday instead of Thursday. Why was this not discussed as an option? Are we that certain that all updates have to appear on a Tuesday despite evidence to the contrary?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

My vote is for the Macbook Pros to be released without a media event on Thursday and for the iPad 2 to come to market via a media event soon after.

I'll vote for this as well.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I've become addicted to watching these rumors and comments. I love all of my MacBook Pros. 2.33 GHz Pro, 2.4 GHz BlackBook, 2.4 GHz 15" 2010.

Y'all know Intel still makes Core 2 Duo chips and will continue to do so for a while. They are not all discontinued and they are not obsolete for what Apple uses them for.

They didn't spend a lot of R&D perfecting the unibody frame to abandon in two years later.

Apple will lose the optical drive when the time is right. I used an external 3.5 floppy drive for about a year until that transition was over. Then it was Iomega zip-drives, then burning CDs and DVDs. USB Flash drive will give over to "light peak" Flash drives to who knows. It will transition well without the foreseen doomsday prophesies. I burned my hundreds of music CDs into iTunes but I do that at home. External would still work. How about solid state music/movie playback? We live in cool times. Servo motors are one of the greatest inventions ever but lets use them in robots and stop spinning motors with limited battery reserve.

This update seems like the most agonizing one yet for some reason. Look how tempers flair. Can't wait. Refreshing Apple Store regularly even today.

Happy Birthday Steve and Get Well Soon. Thanks and God Bless.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    As far as making Apple employees sign an NDA, this seems a bit odd to me. In the past it seems as though Apple employees (retail and tech support, etc.) did not have any info until after the keynote/announcement. Since they are reportedly doing this, then it sounds like they will be getting some juicy info ahead of time, maybe some new product training. I just wonder what kind of training. Unless the MacBook pros are significantly different, I can't see training being needed. Likewise for the iPad...it can't be that different, can it? Now I am very curious.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Signing an NDA for a laptop refresh seems a bit extreme.

Something just doesn't seem right...

I can see how they wanted to do an event for when they changed to the unibody design bec/ they were proud of the process and it was kinda revolutionary for manufacturing this type of product.

Which makes me think they are introducing something new to the general consumer that needs to be explained - like lightpeak, perhaps?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Nobody is "loosing" anything. The average Joe who doesn't follow Apple is not looking at Macbook Pros and screaming 3-5 days! Screw that.

No, but if Apple is actually running out of stock on all the current-gen MacBooks right now but want to release the new MacBooks next week instead of this thursday, they would change the shipping time to '10 business days' instead of '3-5', because 'the average Joe' will get pretty pissed off if he orders a MacBook now, but doesn't get it until after next week.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

Signing an NDA for a laptop refresh seems a bit extreme.

Something just doesn't seem right...

I can see how they wanted to do an event for when they changed to the unibody design bec/ they were proud of the process and it was kinda revolutionary for manufacturing this type of product.

Which makes me think they are introducing something new to the general consumer that needs to be explained - like lightpeak, perhaps?

Do you think LightPeak really needs to be explained? Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not know much about it, but it just sounds like a much faster method/port for data transfer (unless I am missing something). I am pretty technically minded, but I don't really need a special event for this. Just list on the product page and on the new product box how many times faster it is, and that's all most people need or want. Most people won't even know why they should care. I can't imagine this headlining an announcement. Maybe a small bullet point, but most of America will not be getting an upgraded MacBook pro just for lightpeak.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

No, but if Apple is actually running out of stock on all the current-gen MacBooks right now but want to release the new MacBooks next week instead of this thursday, they would change the shipping time to '10 business days' instead of '3-5', because 'the average Joe' will get pretty pissed off if he orders a MacBook now, but doesn't get it until after next week.

Indeed, I would be pissed to see new MBP the day I come pick up my new "old" one at the store. I wonder if the order can be cancel if that happens.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    guys, another website claims that sandy bridge macbook pro won't be available till next thursday at the earliest. This means that possibly the meeting is about the new macbook pro. Also, I think that a potential reason the meeting may have been pushed back, is that maybe apple was waiting on intel for its sandy bridge processors.

http://3anime.com/apple-mac-book-pro...-in-march/2027
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Is Apple really likely to add Light Peak to their hardware before it is even a legitimate connection option? Perhaps those who were in the Apple camp way-back-when can comment: how soon after the USB specification was finalized did Apple add it to their computers and start pushing it as the standard? How many peripherals actually used USB at the time?
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Indeed, I would be pissed to see new MBP the day I come pick up my new "old" one at the store. I wonder if the order can be cancel if that happens.

I have heard in the past Apple has often silently upgraded computers that were scheduled to arrive at someone's door after a changeover had happened.

Can anyone else confirm that?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    product

service--cloud

or God forbid SJ health issue

i'll say, SJ and apple with many products and roll outs over a year, now gets tight seems every quarter something BIG and NEW is happening

we have

MBP

iPad ll

Cloud itunes, et al

iPHone 5

AND THATS JUST TILL JUNE!!!

and there are always surprises

if i had a place to park my media, i wouldn't need so much HD in my MB

you know if mobile me was free without cloud storage

or i "own" a part for typical yearly fee i'd jump

if my media can stream like slingbox that would be fine if i could get dvr capability on my macs then i have a total solution
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Is Apple really likely to add Light Peak to their hardware before it is even a legitimate connection option? Perhaps those who were in the Apple camp way-back-when can comment: how soon after the USB specification was finalized did Apple add it to their computers and start pushing it as the standard? How many peripherals actually used USB at the time?

It seems to me Apple took the USB plunge very early on when they released the first iMac (sans floppy drive). I bought one of these first iMacs for my sister at the time and I remember not knowing what USB was. Likewise, the printer I bought for her the same day had to be exchanged because it was a serial printer and not USB. The CompUSA employees didn;t even know to warn me about USB connectivity, of course this was likely due to their lack of Mac knowledge.

Also, Apple was one of the first to use Firewire, and Displayport before they became standard, of course they pioneered both connections. But, LightPeak is also one of their innovations as well. It could definitely happen. But, I still don't see this being worthy of an event.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

As far as making Apple employees sign an NDA, this seems a bit odd to me. In the past it seems as though Apple employees (retail and tech support, etc.) did not have any info until after the keynote/announcement. Since they are reportedly doing this, then it sounds like they will be getting some juicy info ahead of time, maybe some new product training. I just wonder what kind of training. Unless the MacBook pros are significantly different, I can't see training being needed. Likewise for the iPad...it can't be that different, can it? Now I am very curious.

Indeed, having employees signing an NDA for the release of a new MacBook Pro or even a new iPad is questionnable. I think it's for something different or Apple will disappoint us again like the day they had The Beatles on iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A_K View Post

Indeed, having employees signing an NDA for the release of a new MacBook Pro or even a new iPad is questionnable. I think it's for something different or Apple will disappoint us again like the day they had The Beatles on iTunes.

Apple didn't disappoint you with The Beatles announcement, you choose to be disappointed. If you read sites that post any and every rumor you need to not allow yourself to be drawn into these rumors as if they come from Apple.

For me, The Beatles on iTunes was inconsequential news, but I wasn't disappointed with Apple for being led on.