Apple to unveil new MacBook Pros 'shortly after' Intel Thunderbolt event Thursday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

No, Thunderbolt will end the people who bitch that "Apple forces me to buy a 17" so I can get an expresscard slot to support the SAN I need to connect to (or esata)" b/c now you just plug your esata to TB adapter in and voila. Eventually we'll see less of the other ports and more Thunderbolt.

Eventually it'll just be MagSafe, five Thunderbolt, and audio in/out (though as Thunderbolt carries audio and could be optical...
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Yesterday I told you Light Peak would be renamed Thunderbolt also by Intel. Today, I was proven right. Hooray for me.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eventually it'll just be MagSafe, five Thunderbolt, and audio in/out (though as Thunderbolt carries audio and could be optical...

Maybe they can shrink the board done by removing all the chips for Ethernet, USB, Firewire, and audio so a single Thunderbolt chip can work all that stuff at neck breaking speeds, even though they still include some of the ports on the system. I say some because I?m sure Ethernet will go away with the next case revision and USB has shot themselves in the foot by pushing Intel to use mDP for their Light Peak port.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Yesterday I told you Light Peak would be renamed Thunderbolt also by Intel. Today, I was proven right. Hooray for me.

Your username is one of the more appropriate I've yet seen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

USB has shot themselves in the foot by pushing Intel to use mDP for their Light Peak port.

Pushing? I saw it as a slap in the face to the USB group.

I mean, really, we see Intel demo a LightPeak implementation over a USB port...

And then they go and finalize it with Mini DisplayPort, guaranteeing Apple displays to work with every single computer in the future by virtue of form factor.

Intel held an apple (hmm, poor analogy?) on a string in front of the USB group and then replaced it with an onion as the USB group closed their eyes and took a bite.

USB's dead unless they can get USB 4 out before Thunderbolt is made available on every single board ever.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Pushing? I saw it as a slap in the face to the USB group.

I mean, really, we see Intel demo a LightPeak implementation over a USB port...

And then they go and finalize it with Mini DisplayPort, guaranteeing Apple displays to work with every single computer in the future by virtue of form factor.

Intel held an apple (hmm, poor analogy?) on a string in front of the USB group and then replaced it with an onion as the USB group closed their eyes and took a bite.

USB's dead unless they can get USB 4 out before Thunderbolt is made available on every single board ever.

I don?t know how you can say that when it?s ben rumoured it was the USB-IF that told Intel they couldn?t use the USB port interface. They pushed Intel to seek a different route.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Your username is one of the more appropriate I've yet seen.

Thank you. A man has to live up to his name. There's so much BS thrown around the message boards of the Internets that from time to time someone has to give the hoi polloi a dose of rationality.

As for this update, it doesn't get me too exited. I5 is good, integrated Intel GPU is bad, Thunderbolt will be good if hardware makers start to love it. But all in all, there's no hurry to update my C2D 13" MBP from last May.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I don?t know how you can say that when it?s ben rumoured it was the USB-IF that told Intel they couldn?t use the USB port interface. They pushed Intel to seek a different route.

Oh, I didn't know that. That's hilarious! Their loss.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

If LightPeak also does video and the iPad 2 supports that, then this would be a really powerful thing. This would be quite the leg up and selling point for the iPad 2, to have what is probably the most advanced external port on a consumer device.

• Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that. That's hilarious! Their loss.

Oh, I thought that rumor was more commonly know around these parts. If true, that is surely a bad move on their part. There is no longterm downside to using a mDP port for video and data.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last week, AppleInsider discovered a patent for a magnetic connection that combines power and data

That wasn't a patent. It was an application for a patent. Big difference.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yow. HD video in and out would make it a handy production tool, and post-production tool, and finished movie tool. It had better have remote (selective) wipe. The smart cloud begins to makes sense.

D. Applebaum's idea that we will see video editing on the Pad makes huge waves of sense.

Edit: in other words, carry your movie with you and work on it anywhere, like a script. Video finger painting.

Edit2: cmf2 has something to say on this in the "Event" thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=127

Yeah I'm pretty convinced now that this is what they're up to. Putting Thunderbolt on iPad2 would be a real game changer. Not only would it have a displayport by default, but the highest speed external IO available anywhere outside of the new MBP. This will drive adoption of iPads even higher, and make it so Thunderbolt hubs and devices are being sold more often.

No reason now to think it won't be in there. The controller chip is really small, and we know intel/Apple have done quite a bit to make sure the Thunderbolt components are inexpensive. I suppose the only real problem might be some kind of cpu/motherboard incompatibility, like it's designed only to work with Intel CPU's and not an A9. But the iPad will almost certainly have a custom tailored A9 CPU, so they could make it work.

Which could in turn provide a bigger engineering challenge for their competitors. They don't custom design their ARM chips, incorporating their own Thunderbolt ports may take them much much longer.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I am a newbie to Appleinsider but not to computers.

Lightpeak has been under development for several years ... the name is a code name. The idea of fiber optics provides extreme high data rates that can be sent over very long lines. Apple has been wanting just such a capability. After all Apple developed Firewire to replace SCSI. Now this technology is officially named Thunderbolt. Intel has developed the technology in silicon and has developed the precise specifications. This info will be shared eventually.

The initial implementation of this technology will be done in copper. This has the added advantage of distributing power as well as data. Naturally, the cable lengths will be much shorter ... but the concept is very powerful.

By chosing mini-display port which is Apple's version of display port ... the idea is to have a smaller footprint, costs less to implement that can serve as a universal connector that will carry both video and file data, at the same time at the speeds dictated by Thunderbird. Thus, USB2.0, USB3.0, Firewire 400, 800 up to 3200 mb/sec, plus video (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.)... also gigabit ethernet. This scheme is an active network like firewire and controls itself by its own control, doesn't need a processor with all the interrupt requests like USB does. So up to 6 devices can be connected in sequence, yet all can send and receive their respective data formats and protocols. Each can actually become a hub that provides the various legacy connectors so older design devices can still be used. Amazing.

Yes, it will take a while for peripheral device manufacturers to implement this new connection scheme and technology, and it will open a vast capability to all computers and devices.

It isn't that Apple wants exclusivity, they have openly invited all manufacturers to use mini-display port with zero licensing fees. Not so with HDMI for instance.

There are now in-depth explanations of this new technology, how it works, and the direction it will take computer connections and network.

This technology is not possible with iPAD as the technology depends upon PCI express architechture. iPAD is an entirely different scheme.

I hope is brief intro will clarify some of the many questions and frustrations poster have shared.